Why become a member? ×

Even more dubious than Ed Sheeran legal case

Clarky

Apart from it being a global smash hit that's been played on every radio staion / supermarket / xmas compilation / TV multiple times every year for the last TWENTY EIGHT years he's only just  realised the similarity (song title only). The cynic in me thinks a lawyer somewhere has said "we'll ask for £16m but settle for £500k as it will be cheaper than her going to court" :facepalm:🤣

As I understand it titles using common phrases are not covered by copyright.  @Acebassmusic is on the money, they are using the cheaper to settle than go to court tactic.  They might find Maria Carey adopts the Ed Sheerhan stance and takes them on.  She will have suitably deep pockets methinks.

• Like 1

The litigant Mr Stone might enjoy greater credibility were it not that he 'performs under the name Vince Vance with the band Vince Vance and the Valiants'.

Older BC-ers will recall that an early incarnation of Fleetwood Mac recorded and released the song Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonite (a Jeremy Spencer pastiche of 50's rock'n'roll) under the pseudonym of Earl Vince and The Valiants.

Mr Spencer is still alive and should either sue Mr Stone for passing off or go round and kick his head in, possibly tonite.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Mr Stone has probably belatedly worked out that a popular Christmas hit is a good recurring boost to a pension income and is desperately trying to increase the popularity of his own creation. I notice the YouTube video now has 2m views and will no doubt increase from that as a result of this story. 

Seems like a dangerous strategy to me though to sue Mariah Cary on such a tenuous link. If he looses the costs bill will likely bankrupt him!