Why become a member? ×

Multi-effect pedal units for guitar AND bass

The Twickerman

Line6 Helix

Edit: Having said that I rarely use any of the bass amp (or cab) models. The great thing about modelled amps and cabs is that the worst that can happen if you put the "wrong" kind of instrument through it, is that the result won't sound particularly good. Use your ears rather than your eyes when it comes to selecting an amp or cab sim. I mostly use one of the EQ modules rather than an actual amp, as they tend to be more versatile. When I do use an amp sim most of them are "guitar" ones an have been picked for their distortion sounds more than anything else.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Twickerman said:

Hi all,

can anyone recommend mutli-effect pedal units which include guitar AND bass amp models?

Ta!

- Nick.

Most multi-effect modelers include some bass amp models & cab sims, in varying degrees, pretty much across all price points.

It's really just a matter of cost and form factor, unless you really need a broad variety of bass amp models to choose from.

Most current multi-fx modelers allow you to upload 3rd party Impulse Responses (IR), so if a broad selection of bass cab sims isn't on board, you can purchase those cabinet sim types and load them.

I'd recommend you find your price point, then do an internet search for multi-effects modelers, and take a look at the available bass amps/cabs they offer:

Line 6

Boss

Fractal Audio Systems

Neural DSP

Kemper Profiling Amp

Zoom

Nux

Hotone

Headrush

Mooer

• Like 1

Yes, everything depends on the available budget.

Although Helix is excellent, it isn't exactly cheap. If you can afford the LT or the full fat Helix, then go for it. If you can't quite stretch to those, then HX Stomp or HX Stomp XL would be a good choice. But, if the budget's a bit less, then the the POD Go is a fabulous wee thing, definitely a great choice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Skybone said:

Although Helix is excellent, it isn't exactly cheap. If you can afford the LT or the full fat Helix, then go for it. If you can't quite stretch to those, then HX Stomp or HX Stomp XL would be a good choice. But, if the budget's a bit less, then the the POD Go is a fabulous wee thing, definitely a great choice.

I've been using multi-effects since the late 80s and compared with what was available back then and how much it cost in real terms the Helix is an absolute bargain. Also when you consider that I paid less new for my Helix and FRFR cab than I did for my previous bass rig which was mostly bought second hand some 10 years previously.

At the time I bought my Helix I looked at the cheaper versions and decided that although one of them might be adequate for my needs there was always the chance that some time in the future I'd need a feature that was only available on the top of the range model. It turns out that the digital "scribble strips" over the individual foot switches have been absolutely invaluable, and I don't really know how I would have managed without them.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

On 04/06/2022 at 21:06, Skybone said:

The Stomp doesn't have enough patch buttons and the Stomp XL is sadly missing an expression pedal. Although cost doesn't preclude them, a fraction of the cost for the full Helix or even the LT, the Pod Go is a strong contender!

FYI, my full shopping list of features is:-

Connectivity

2-inputs (if only one - can use a return instead)

2-outputs (or stereo)

MIDI out (not essential) with patch/channel control

Controls

4 dedicated well-spaced patch select footswitches (min)

Volume pedal

Models

Guitar amps (vintage clean)

Bass amps (vintage clean)

Effects

Marshall SupaFuzz (or similar)

Phaser (similar to Synthi HiFli)

Delay

Edited by The Twickerman
Typo

22 minutes ago, The Twickerman said:

FYI, my full shopping list of features is:-

Connectivity

2-inputs (if only one - can use a return instead)

2-outputs (or stereo)

MIDI out (not essential) with patch/channel control

Controls

4 dedicated well-spaced patch select footswitches (min)

Volume pedal

Models

Guitar amps (vintage clean)

Bass amps (vintage clean)

Effects

Marshall SupaFuzz (or similar)

Phaser (similar to Synthi HiFli)

Delay

In which case a Behringer V Amp Pro and a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller, would more than do the job.

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Think I'm going to take a punt on the Pod GO.

I play a double-neck guitar/bass - which has a stereo out.

I can plug into the stereo return. Then the stereo out will offer separate bass and guitar line signals for the sound man. And I can use the mono amp output (with amp sims) to feed a full range cab on stage for both.

Seems the most elegant solution - and the cheapest!

Just hope it sounds good.

Just remember that there can be a difference between "stereo" and two channel, and the latter is what you want.

Some stereo signal paths never truly isolate the left and right signals which means there is always the potential for bleed between the channels, especially when chaining multiple effects together.

I play Bass VI in one of my bands which means I'm swapping between "bass" and "guitar" sounds. I had been considering a similar set up with the two types of sounds being processed separately, but then it occurred to me that I'm never playing both at the same time, so I simply change patches (or in the case of the Helix "snapshots") when I change from bass to guitar and the Helix does all the required processing. I don't even both with dual outputs. I supply a single feed to the PA, and simply make them aware that they will be getting both bass and guitar type sounds from that feed. Since everything has been EQ'd and balanced in the Helix they shouldn't need to do anything other than EQ for the PA and balance me up against the rest of the band.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Just remember that there can be a difference between "stereo" and two channel, and the latter is what you want.

Some stereo signal paths never truly isolate the left and right signals which means there is always the potential for bleed between the channels, especially when chaining multiple effects together.

Indeed, I plan to use the pan option in the Output settings to selectively mute the other channel. If I find that extraneous noises do bleed across I'll have to look at inserting a suitable block at the start of the chain to do the muting.

Coincidentally, one of the necks on one of the doublenecks is a bass VI. Fantastic instruments! 

Edited by The Twickerman

So, this is the signal path

stereo return => pan block (to mute unused instrument) => mono/stereo effects* => output block (panned to mute collapsed stereo) => stereo outs for board & amp out for backline

*mono effects would collapse stereo effects into mono on both channels

I think this will work...

In the end I was unable to get this to work. 

Instead I use the guitar input for the bass, and the return for the guitar.

The problem was that the pan block is linked to the volume pedal, so if I use that, I will in effect lose the volume pedal.~~

Not so elegant a solution - but perfectly ok!