Why become a member? ×

Save my back please!!

jackreacher193

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. But looking for advice on lightweight combo/seperates for gigging.

Probably only small/medium size so maybe 300w?

Was looking at Fender Rumble and the TC Electronic BQ250 with RS212? But wondered if you had any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Lee 

I’ve only used a Rumble in a rehearsal studio - 300w 15” combo(?) - but I was genuinely impressed. Solid tone with versatile eq and surprisingly light (though apparently well-built). Seems like a good choice and I’d certainly gig one 

I too have a fragile back (major spinal surgery 5 years ago)

I have a Markbass Little Mark 3 head (500w) and a 2x10 Markbass Traveller cab. It's very manageable, super lightweight.

They also sound great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackreacher193 said:

But looking for advice on lightweight combo/seperates for gigging.

It's horses for courses, Lee. What sort of music do you play? What sort of venues do you gig in? How loud is your band?

I can offer advice on very lightweight kit for use in wine bars, and I can offer advice on very lightweight kit for use in the O2. It won't be the same advice. 😉

In the long and proud tradition of recommending what you own... my gigging combos are a Markbass CMD121p (1x12) and a Fender Rumble 500 v3 (2x10). Both are relatively light and compact, though the Markbass wins on portability. They both put out around 300/350W on their own (500W with another 8ohm cab) and are capable of handling a backline-only gig in a medium sized venue. They both seem to be about £600 new at the moment, which seems reasonable - given the price of everything right now - for what they do and how well they do it. I do get the allure of the second hand market, but I like a warranty. The currently advertised Markbass is a relatively recently released new version with an updated amp section - I'd be tempted to see if there are any deals to be done on the older versions like mine with the 'Combo Head 2' amp section if the Markbass appeals to you.

The Fender has a single handle on the top, which makes carrying it harder than if it had side handles, so I fitted side handles to mine. The Markbass has furry carpet covering and no feet (just stacking corner protectors) to keep it clear of often-beer-soaked venue floors, so I fitted rubber feet to mine. The Fender has a cloth front grille and switches/jacks on the back which might make it more susceptible to damage in transit, so I bought it a cover and I'm careful how I load it. The Markbass has a heavy steel front grille and a flat back but the switches and jacks are in a recess at the bottom of the amp which makes them a literal pain in the rear to access... so I swear at it profusely and eventually use the torch on my phone.

Nothing's perfect, and I like them both for different reasons! In light of what you've just said re: venue and style of music, either would do the job perfectly well. If it was my gig, I'd probably take the Fender.

I absolutely can't knock the head and lightweight cab/s method either, but there are so many combinations and permutations that it's very hard to offer a review like you can for a single unit.

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

I too have a fragile back (major spinal surgery 5 years ago)

I have a Markbass Little Mark 3 head (500w) and a 2x10 Markbass Traveller cab. It's very manageable, super lightweight.

They also sound great.

I used to have this rig and it would fit the bill nicely. There's one FS (nowt to do with me) on theforum right now

How light is your definition of lightweight? After a back injury, mine is any lift that is less than 24lbs (11kg).

I use a Barefaced SC and an SM, 21.5lbs each, sounds fantastic and louder than a loud thing. With these cabs you don't need FOH.

I'd def recommend the markbass set up. Very light, very powerful. Also add another 2x10 if you need anymore power, which you wont.

I prefer mine over my previous barefaced set ups and ashdown rm combos, but it just depends on what you like I suppose. You're spoiled for choice now re lightweight set ups.

• Like 1