Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray Classic problem

chrisplum

Hi has anyone had and resolved an issue with intermittent output failure of a Stingray? Mine will intermittently cut out / fuzz over then a change of lead or a wiggle of output jack solves it - tried a new socket and various leads but still happens. Any thoughts please? 

What sort of battery compartment do you have? Is it the screw down type or one of those plastic flip up ones? I think the Classic normally has the screw down type.

If it's a flip up one, check/clean the contacts. I've had that before where corrosion is not allowing a good contact.

The symptom sounds like a problem I had with my jazz a few years back. One of the solder joints was on it's way out. Re-soldered and sorted.

• Like 1

Sounds like the output jack's ring contact might be not be making good contact.

Give the jack a good clean and have a close look at the contacts with a jack inserted. Replace if suspect.

PP3 battery clips are notoriously crap, made of chinesium, and it's hard to source a good one. (The RS Pro ones are OK  RS PRO Press Stud 9V PP3 Battery Contact | RS Components (rs-online.com)

It is possible to solder (quickly) the DC cables onto the battery terminals as a test. Also a piece of foam jammed in the battery compartment, pushing on the connector can help.

Do as rmorris says...