jazzmanb

Anyone get to the shows ?

Saw him last night ,a ticket I bought in 2018 

Great seats 5 rows back 

Rhonda Smith on bass 

Jeff was just stunning ,the sounds he gets has no bounds 

As expected tight and polished 

Then the weird Jonny Depp show 

He's not too bad but I didn't want to see him ,yeah do secret gig in a London pub or whatever but ...

Then they did a Killing joke song I love ! 

Just odd 

Got to say Rhonda's sound was just awful 

A case of lots of moving fingers producing a sort of bottom end rumble 

Aguilar rig ,custom bass with too many knobs 

When she did a solo and dug in it sounded like playing active thru a 10w practice amp 

Shame and it didn't spoil anything because it was anonymous 

I was at the second Royal Albert Hall show. Jeff was great, and Rhonda was brilliant (sounded fine from my seat)

Annoyances:

1. The running times were changed on the website on the day of the gig. We were originally told JB at 7.30, interval, resume at 8.30, done by 10pm. Fine lets get there early lads! We did, and sat through the insipid Sharon Corr support set wondering when JB would join in.

2. Johnny Depp - he's just rubbish really. And appearing while awaiting a trial result is being deliberating just a bit tasteless. We went to the bar for the majority of it. A couple of RAH staff I spoke were surprisingly vocal about it - one said it ruined the show for her, another said they'd received a lot of complaints that JD was even in the building.

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

Got to say Rhonda's sound was just awful

I haven't seen her live but, on all the videos I've seen, I'd agree with your review of her sound.

She's obviously a great player, with plenty of great licks, but that's not a good sound!!

5 hours ago, toneknob said:

2. Johnny Depp - he's just rubbish really. And appearing while awaiting a trial result is being deliberating just a bit tasteless. We went to the bar for the majority of it. A couple of RAH staff I spoke were surprisingly vocal about it - one said it ruined the show for her, another said they'd received a lot of complaints that JD was even in the building.

I'm guessing that was the point - Beck going out of his way to make a public show of support for Depp

We were meant to see him at the Cardiff gig. But Ed Sheran was playing at the Principality Stadium the same night, loads of roads closed in Cardiff and a 2 hour queue on the motorway. 

So we bailed and went to watch the cricket instead. 

Can't quite tell from the comments, but we might have taken the better option. 

So....that was weird.

Sharon Corr was very flat - mediocre songs with poor PA. She also openly declared she loved the Glasgow accent and is recently single 😂

Jeff Beck himself was very good, but everything could have been louder. Couldn't really hear much else, Rhonda seemed to be using an octaver down for a lot of it, so it got very muddy even with a lot of left hand movement.

Johnny Depp...well. He would be stealing a living singing in a pub. A small portion of the crowd were there just to see him (as well as several hundred people outside). They spent the majority of the set shouting "We love you Johnny" (in the best Weegie accent). Added very little to the gig but is doing wonders for Jeff Beck's publicity so there that.

Odd 

from what i can gather these slots by depp were pre arranged prior to any trial so he was just honouring his commitments ....and depp considers himself primarily a musician who does acting to pay the bills ...but yeah don't give up the day job johnny....he's ok but not great, it's like he thinks he's keith richards or something.