Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 750 Evo V!

fretmeister

2 hours ago, Merton said:

@eude and I have given up asking….

Yup, both @Merton and I have been on Mark's back about this for a long while now. It's not something they're keen to do sadly.

I know there was an ABM NEO a while back but that wasn't much smaller and had one of the older, not so good class D power stages, things have come a long way since then.

I really think a downsized ABM with a compact but old school solid state power stage would sell so so well...

Edited by eude
I can't speel
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, eude said:

Yup, both @Merton and I have been on Mark's back about this for a long while now. It's not something they're keen to do sadly.

I know there was an ABM NEO a while back but that wasn't much smaller and had one of the older, not so good class D power stages, things have come a long way since then.

I really think a downsized ABM with a compact but old school solid state power stage would sell so so well...

What would you say makes the power modules they used in the 400/1000/2000 'not so good' compared to more recent ones? I had an ABM500-EVO3 and it was probably the most disappointing amp I've ever owned (ratio of what it promised to what it delivered) but then I got the 1000, which as far as I can tell uses the exact same preamp board but strapped to an Anaview module, and that's probably the most exciting. Consequently I've always thought of those modules quite highly and I even looked round at other amps that might use the same one - sadly all I could find was the Tech 21 dUg 1000 which always seemed to be that unhelpful combination of hilariously expensive and broadly unavailable anyway. I digress!

A lightweight ABM in the CTM-30 box would be kinda cool, and for me they could happily get rid of the compressor and sub-harmonic to help shoehorn things in.

42 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

What would you say makes the power modules they used in the 400/1000/2000 'not so good' compared to more recent ones? I had an ABM500-EVO3 and it was probably the most disappointing amp I've ever owned (ratio of what it promised to what it delivered) but then I got the 1000, which as far as I can tell uses the exact same preamp board but strapped to an Anaview module, and that's probably the most exciting. Consequently I've always thought of those modules quite highly and I even looked round at other amps that might use the same one - sadly all I could find was the Tech 21 dUg 1000 which always seemed to be that unhelpful combination of hilariously expensive and broadly unavailable anyway. I digress!

A lightweight ABM in the CTM-30 box would be kinda cool, and for me they could happily get rid of the compressor and sub-harmonic to help shoehorn things in.

I was meaning the Class D modules. I had a MiBass 2.0, which sounded lovely, but lacked the power of more recent Class D amps from Ashdown and other manufacturers, even ones rated to be lower in output.

The ABM NEO 400 had the very same Class D power supply. The 1000 is a very different beastie though.

I also think some of the ABM EVO3s fell through the gaps as a result of them being made overseas unlike most of the other versions of the ABM, might have just been a bad batch?

I'd love to see a mini ABM, in a lunchbox format, something along the lines of an Orange Terror Bass, but I imagine it would need to be a lot bigger for the heat sinks and air flow purposes, especially with a proper old school lump of iron power supply. I doubt that Ashdown would be willing to lose any of the features of the ABM for this kind of thing, as technically, it would no longer be an ABM if you start messing with the recipe...

The main issue for the ABM is the preamp board runs the full width of the head. It needs some serious redesigning to get it to fit a smaller body. I (along with @eude and @Sibob I seems!) think it's worth the investment but Ashdown don't.

TBH I wonder if an RM preamp and ABM power amp would actually be enough for most people?

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

The main issue for the ABM is the preamp board runs the full width of the head. It needs some serious redesigning to get it to fit a smaller body. I (along with @eude and @Sibob I seems!) think it's worth the investment but Ashdown don't.

TBH I wonder if an RM preamp and ABM power amp would actually be enough for most people?

It would, especially if they could make it look like this!

image.thumb.png.63c25a0fb7a0f678820a06d7994e9a3c.png

image.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Merton said:

Technically, the RM220 is sort of that, I actually have one, RM pre amp with a solid 220W power stage, guess people forgot about these with the 500/800 W class D versions.

5 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

Technically, the RM220 is sort of that, I actually have one, RM pre amp with a solid 220W power stage, guess people forgot about these with the 500/800 W class D versions.

I think they got lost purely because they were a little heavy compared to the Class D offering in it's big brother.

There's also a difference between the MAG power supply and the ABM, which is actually quite audible, I think the RM220 had the MAG PSU.

If Ashdown could make a head the size of two of the RM ones on top of each other with the ABM power supply, I think they would do well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eude said:

I was meaning the Class D modules. I had a MiBass 2.0, which sounded lovely, but lacked the power of more recent Class D amps from Ashdown and other manufacturers, even ones rated to be lower in output.

The ABM NEO 400 had the very same Class D power supply. The 1000 is a very different beastie though.

I also think some of the ABM EVO3s fell through the gaps as a result of them being made overseas unlike most of the other versions of the ABM, might have just been a bad batch?

I'd love to see a mini ABM, in a lunchbox format, something along the lines of an Orange Terror Bass, but I imagine it would need to be a lot bigger for the heat sinks and air flow purposes, especially with a proper old school lump of iron power supply. I doubt that Ashdown would be willing to lose any of the features of the ABM for this kind of thing, as technically, it would no longer be an ABM if you start messing with the recipe...

Aaah right, for some reason I thought that the 400 had a similar (just smaller) module to the 1000 and that the Mi amps had ICE modules of some variety. I’ve lost track, though, tbh!! Just as long as you don’t know something terrible that I’ve not heard yet about whatever’s in mine!! 🙂 

I don’t think there was anything technically wrong with the EVO3 I had - it just had no poke! I traded it back at the shop and the lad who’d sold it to me instantly called the bassist in his band to come and buy it cheap. He used it quite happily for a long time afterwards.

Long live the IV and V, and fingers crossed for that lunchbox!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've realised that I don't like the completely black aesthetics of the ABM750 Evo V. It reminds me of the chrome faced RAH600 Evo IV that I owned for a while. It was a fantastic head other than impossible to see the black legends at gigs.

The 750 might look better with white slider caps and the black and silver rotary control knobs used on some other Ashdown heads. All black in this instance is far too plain in my opinion. Maybe as they're only built to order you could specify these simple changes?

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I've realised that I don't like the completely black aesthetics of the ABM750 Evo V. It reminds me of the chrome faced RAH600 Evo IV that I owned for a while. It was a fantastic head other than impossible to see the black legends at gigs.

not being able to see the legends at gigs is sort of an Ashdown thing. I always have to use them from memory as i never found white on light blue showed up on any light unless you happen to have bent down and put your face right up to it during a moment of totally clear lighting!

• Like 2

from the mouths of babes...my daughter recently commented on my "stack" of ABM's in the front room(an ABM 500 EVO II, ABM500 EVOIII and an ABM 300 EVO II) as pale blue perfection. I showed her the new ABM750 EVO V on the Ashdown website and she shrieked aloud " thats just like a MAG200!"( she knows her Ashdown's) She wasn't impressed at all with the black finish. When I asked her what her preference was, a pale blue ABM750 was the preferred option...or...mystic red metallic to match my Fender Jazz🤔 I wonder if Ashdown would do that for me? 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still getting used to it but a few gigs down now. There's the immediate comfort feeling that you know what you are getting and you are definitely getting the ABM sound, but it's clearer, tighter and with more definition at higher volumes. Is it louder? Well, I never turned my EVO IV to max so I don't know. I guess it must be a little. The fan is super quiet and kicks in only when needed, and the DI is superb quality apparently according to the sound guy.  The controls are reassuringly Ashdown and give the same amount of adjustment as we're used to. It seems to weight the same if not a little less than my rackmount 600 IV. Could be me, or the valve fitted but the drive seems smoother. 

There's a big 'but', and I'm going to have to have a word with Mark, Dan and Dave. Both the input and the output controls are notched, like the output control on the RM EVOIIs. I hate it.  Really hate it.  It's going to have to change. 

Is it worth the money, I guess is the big question?  To me, given a) I bought it b) it's UK built and c) it looks bloody fantastic then yes, but objectively I'd find it difficult to argue against going for a 600 EVO IV, as that amp is so good.  I'm just pleased it's not as nasty as that horrible Darkglass thing I bought......

Onwards and upwards. I love it, I'm keeping it and the ABM 600 EVO IV is sold pending collection...

20220922_091639.jpg

20220922_124620.jpg

20220923_200101.jpg

• Like 8

It certainly looks great (especially on the 610) and I really like the "you are definitely getting the ABM sound, but it's clearer, tighter and with more definition at higher volumes" comment, as I found this difference between the ABM600 EVO-IV and the previous ABM500s, so seems Ashdown are giving a tad more clarity on the sound which is what I always strive for. Given I gig 10 times a year, if that, and many times don`t use my own amp do I need one of these, well no, but these comments are making my trigger-finger itch a tad.

Also love the spotthevu hash-tag on the box, given that the amp has two!

• Like 1

@Muppet

Like you I hate the notched controls. I sent Dave my RM800 Evo2 and he swapped the notched for a smooth control. And he did it for free.

The notches are crap. They remove the chance of getting the settings spot on. Even on the RM it went from too quiet to too loud in 1 notch.

I'm saving for one of these bad boys and when I order it I will be asking for smooth controls at the time of the order!

1 hour ago, Kevin Dean said:

If you support a minimum wage, pensions, sick pay, maternity leave, H&S, etc that's the price for UK made stuff It's a difficult dilemma.

I’m just happy to support a UK company with customer service second to none. 

• Like 6