Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky

nilorius

I have started to think of buying 1 fretted bass, as my others are fretless. I have heard a lot of good things about Sadowsky. I know there are a lot people who knows, have tried, owns different models. I would ask You to give some small reviews on Sadowsky bass - any model, as i don't want to consider just by You tube videos. And also - is it wourth the money?

Having played both 4 and 5 string Japanese Metros, I would recommend them whole heartedly. Easy to play, well balanced, great tones. I can’t speak for the new, Warwick ones. Worth it? Yeah, I think so, compared to similar, premium basses.

• Like 1

US, Japan, or Germany model?

It is a well built, light weight jazz with their active circuitry.

I have played an ash (?) one that was heavy for my fingers. That particular bass I did not like so much, but have played others that feel like old British roadsters. And I usually do not like J that much.

Original Japanese Metro - MV5 I had was superb, the RV5 I bought a few years later was dead sounding and got moved on quickly.

Japanese Metroline - only played one - basically the same as the Metro.

Japanese Metro Express - good but not worth as much as they were farmed out to another factory, built with limited solid colours, and based on the 3 I tried and 1 I owned, not perfect in quality control or fit and finish.

German Metroline - fabulous, IMHO the equal of anything NYC produces, without the options or fancy finishes.

German Metro Express - not had a chance to try them but seen some up close and they look OK.

Back in 2008 I spend a very pleasant few hours at the Sadowsky workshop (when it was still in Brooklyn) playing all their demonstration instruments. 

Firstly I should say that I have yet to come across any J-style instrument that I really like, so my comments will be biased...

On the whole they all played nicely, but so do most other high-end J-style basses. Also IMO they all sounded much better with the (highly regarded) Sadowsky pre-amp switched off. From what I have read this pre-amp is a major selling point of these basses. I wasn't that impressed with the difference it made to the basic sound. Ultimately these are Jazz bass copies with some refinements made by Sadowsky. If that's what you want from your Jazz bass, then you will probably like them. Myself? Out of all the Jazz bass copies I've played the one I have liked the best (although not enough to actually buy one) was by Mike Lull.

I own a Sadowsky NYC J bass that was my go to bass for several years, up to when I retired from playing 3 years ago. I always liked J style basses and needed something lightweight. A well finished bass in every respect and I like the onboard eq. Nowadays they are really expensive new, and there may be more affordable alternatives out there. As always, try before you buy if possible. 

• Like 1

I very much recommend to try before buying. The boutique J bass is a fairly saturated market and there are lots of options out there.

I own an NYC five string and a Metro four string, both dating from around 2009. Both J basses with 60s spacing and maple fingerboard. I bought the Metro brand new and NYC used in 2016. Both are great basses. In terms of the pre amp I really like it but I find that the best sounds are achieved with very minimal use of the preamp. Generally I turn the bass dial less than a quarter turn and leave the treble not boosted. 

Comparing my NYC to the Metro. The preamp and general fit and finish is pretty much identical. The NYC though just ‘feels’ more special because it has a quilted maple top and the neck has a cool vintage tint whereas the Metro has a very plain top and very plain fingerboard. In terms of the general sound they are very similar apart from the fact that the NYC has an extra string…

I have never really used the VTC. If I wanted a vintage sound then I would use another bass. To some though the VTC is an amazing feature.

Is a modern new NYC worth the money? Well, they are very expensive but also in very limited supply. To me the NYCs are now in the Wal, Fodera category in that the main customers are either top pros or people with lots of disposable income who just really want a Sadowsky NYC. 

I have used my Metro as my main gigging bass since 2009. No issues whatsoever and I won’t ever be selling it.

• Like 1

I owned a German Metro J and ended up selling it. Sounded nice and played well but I let it go because the hum cancelling pickups were too mid-scooped for my liking and the VTC was too aggressive. As in, turn it up more than 25% and it just sounded messy. As others have said the boutique Jazz bass market is very saturated so try before you buy. 

Not quite regarded as boutique, but the cheap and cheerful Sire basses are worth a look. A friend got one a couple of years back and as someone who was used of the Sadowsky, I was astonished at the value for money of the Sire. Fit and finish were excellent, the eq was very workable and the action was nice and low. A very comfortable feel to the neck. However it was too heavy a bass for me to gig. I have seen a few other Sire's but the quality of the set up and finish varied considerably. 

• Thanks 1

Bought a mij metro 2006 about 8 years ago 

That first gig even girlfriends of the band commented in sound check 

I have fenders ,spectors ,ricks etc 

I had a USA geddy jazz 

Non of them match the sound and tone ,I never play active 

It just has this solid punch and cut and warmness all together from G to A ,up and down 

No quiet spots where everyone just hears your English string 

It's heavy mind ,not all are ,that solid body gives it the kick I feel 

I've played my Japanese Metro UV70 for almost 10 years and its my main bass. I was so impressed I bought another (also a Metro) - they have different strings on and used for different bands/styles of music. I find guitars played in a bit more comfortable to play - its a bit like buying a secondhand upmarket car.....

• 2 weeks later...