Why become a member? ×

PJB Suitcase kaput

leroybasslines

Hi there. You know when you plug in your amp for a bit of a play and after 5 mins smoke starts pouring out of it and you decide that, all things considered, it’s probably best to turn it off and not turn it on again? Yeah, that. 

It’s a PJB Suitcase, the original model. I’ve had it for a good 15 years and it’s worked hard - loads of gigging - so I’m not surprised that it’s feeling it’s age. I now need to decide whether to repair or go for a new amp. I’ve just finished reading a thread on here where a basschatter had a serious headache dealing with PJB and Selectron, their UK distributor.

I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with PJB and Selectron and had any tips? Or advice on whether to stick or twist with the Suitcase? I’ve got a busy summer of gigs coming up so time is a factor.  Any wisdom most gratefully received!

Thanks,

Liam

• Sad 1

I recommend buying a Fender Rumble 100 V3. I bought one used and it's excellent.

Stupidly light, good sound and at least as loud as a PJB suitcase.

I have a Markbass CMD121P too but it's a lot louder, than your old Suitcase combo and, unless money is no object, is possibly more than you need.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

Take it to a local tech if he can’t fix it buy another, 15 years is a good run, if it was a car which cost significantly more you’d have chopped it in years ago or you’d just scrap it now and get another 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

Had a small problem with my out of warranty briefcase a couple of months ago . Selectron were polite on the phone but not interested in anything out of warranty . They put me on to a local amp tech . All sorted but no spares used so can't tell you how easily they are available . Good luck