Why become a member? ×

What is Your #1 bass for all situations ?

nilorius

I think the best 'all rounder' I ever had was a Lakland 55 01. That thing could do anything and was a joy to play. Would love a 44 01 now but they don't come up for sale and I'm pretty happy with my Tokai Hardpuncher Precision for everything I play these days.

Of all my basses, I’ve gigged and recorded with my 78 Ric the most, and it’s still my darling.  The last studio session I did was with my fretless JB—whatever the job calls for, hey?  Otherwise, the Ric is king   98137252-F5F8-4A7B-BD6B-6A986147C32C.thumb.jpeg.e8c365801edafdce9d91824a905dd91a.jpeg27A0BFA2-F6C1-4254-9C86-3F63CA1BD1C9.thumb.jpeg.063ada737d6d2b1ea4f045d6a942ee07.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Roscoe Century Standard 5 string.

I have two though, a fretted and a fretless. The fretted has bartolini soap bar pups, the fretless Bart j pups, so there are more sonic differences than the obvious.

Neither is #1, but unless it's a slapped bass part I now prefer the fretless, just don't tell the fretted one I said that!

My two bands are in such different genres that no single bass (not one that I currently own anyway…) is ideal for both. Currently it’s the Sire V7 (5 string J) for the souly band and the Ska bass (beefy sounding 4 string) for the ska/reggae outfit. If I was to have a bass made to serve both, it’d be a 32/33” headless 5 string with P+MM pickups. 

3 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

'94 StingRay all day long.

Had mine for just short of thirty years (!) and I still grin every time I look at it.

I was going to say Stingray. I’m back into ‘Ray fold again (albeit a short scale) and it really does fit anything, not always perfectly, but close enough.

Nigh on 30 years ownership is impressive around these hallowed halls, well done, Sir.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Isn’t there a tiny maths fail there? :lol:

Ahem…

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

28 is not 'just short of 30'..? o.O

Yes, it is.

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

And I've never noticed a quiet D string

You wouldn’t.

it’s the g string that’s allegedly quiet, I’ve never noticed it on stingrays I’ve had but apparently it’s out there 😄

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bunion said:

You wouldn’t.

it’s the g string that’s allegedly quiet, I’ve never noticed it on stingrays I’ve had but apparently it’s out there 😄

I’ve experienced it. The pole pieces are all height adjustable though so it’s not a difficult issue to solve.

• Like 1