Why become a member? ×

What is Your #1 bass for all situations ?

nilorius

Currently mine is a Musicman Sabre (2 band EQ) - but has been a Stingray HH and a Stingray Special HH also. Of course, they’re all blue 😀

8E9E16EB-F709-407E-AFDB-D7605EF92C3E.thumb.jpeg.9df22c94a5639bc9e6c69ef82a13d215.jpegDD733773-393A-4ACF-B1AB-8D1491A91680.thumb.jpeg.71a698e76b36d7ee30daa55a56c9458a.jpeg1A55B0F5-8D67-4EDB-9AE9-C82F70D1F693.thumb.jpeg.7409a1b40c7ed433db496d00a9aaab16.jpeg2A65B23E-DC15-4305-AEF2-35DAE12D4961.thumb.jpeg.9b8053b5be523eb7e4ac26f05b5f26b0.jpeg

I have used an SR5H or SR5HH also at times and would do again where a 5 string is appropriate or required. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nilorius said:

Looks like Fodera, but may be i am wrong, but what is it, a luthier work or something else ?

It was built in Italy by a luthier called Ẹnrico Pasini. I believe he did work for Fodera.

If it's one to cover as much as possible then I'd say my Celinder J-Update. Perfect 70s jazz bass slap sound, 3D finger sound and because the pickups are stacked I can get a great P bass sound from the front and a tight back pickup sound without any noise.

For me there is no single bass that covers all the musical situations right now let alone whatever music I might decide to play in the future.

Despite the fact that both my current bands fall into the same basic musical genre (post-punk/goth) the musical arrangements and the role the bass guitar plays in each is very different and consequently I play very different basses in each band.

One has a fairly standard line-up of vocals, guitars, bass, drums and synths (on backing) and for that I use a Gus G3 5-string bass (tuned B-G).

The other is just vocals, synth, bass and drum machine and for that one I use an Eastwood Hooky 6-string Bass (tuned EADGCE).

While there are a few songs in each band that could be played on either bass, most absolutely require the specific bass that I use for that band.

Haven't really had a "#1" bass for about 25 years. I've always used the bass that was most appropriate for firstly the band and secondly the song that I was playing with that band.

17 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Alembic Orion, though I'm going to build something which I reckon will be even more of what I want.

I had to look up that Orion..... Sweet and with a classic crown headstock too. 👍🏾

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubit said:

I always take my P.................and my J.

I've just been packing for this afternoon's gig and decided it was a Jazz bass show, so packed both Jazzes. Then I was sitting upstairs and wanted to run through one part of a song we'll be playing and had to use a Precision as both Jazzes are cased and waiting to go into the car.

Now taking one Jazz and one Precision. I'll decide which to use when I get there. I think the Jazz sounds better for this band, but the Precision is more comfortable to play. 

Maybe I'll just toss a coin. Now I've just got to find a coin!

• Haha 1

I just use a Lakland Jazz 5 for the entirety of our covers set - standard covers band stuff. Between hand placement, two volumes, a tone and amp EQ I can get pretty much whatever tone I need.

I bring a spare, but it stays in the car unless I need it.

Sure, I might like to change it up at some point in the future, but I can't think of many situations where a five string jazz would be inappropriate

• Like 1

I consider both my basses to be #1's. The bass I choose depends on my back. On good days I'll pick up my Sadowsky Jazz. On bad days I'll play my Mike Lull PJ5 bass.

It's all down to the weight. Sometimes I'll start with the Jazz and switch to the P for the 2nd set.

10 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I've just been packing for this afternoon's gig and decided it was a Jazz bass show, so packed both Jazzes. Then I was sitting upstairs and wanted to run through one part of a song we'll be playing and had to use a Precision as both Jazzes are cased and waiting to go into the car.

Now taking one Jazz and one Precision. I'll decide which to use when I get there. I think the Jazz sounds better for this band, but the Precision is more comfortable to play. 

Maybe I'll just toss a coin. Now I've just got to find a coin!

Couldn't find coin so just decided to play the Precision for the first set. Turned out we only played one set - two hours long, but only one set. The Precision was perfect - my 2012 US Standard strung with LaBella standard flats. I'll take two Precisions to tomorrow's gig. Three hours, but maybe with a set break.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I Like chopping and changing my basses at gigs and there is noticeable differences ,i cant be doing with buzzing or jack problems etc etc though 

The best sounding gig bass by a good way is my Sadowsky metro uv70 ,just played passive ,killer tone across the neck ,tight punch bottom end and sweet tops 

On 01/06/2022 at 18:37, nilorius said:

What is Your #1 bass for all situations ? Mine - Ibanez GWB1005 - unicorn.

A great bass. One of the few fretless basses I GAS for, but don't tell my Pentabuzz that. 

As far as my number one goes, my 1993 Spector NS-5CR gets the call most days. It's one of those basses that is extremely flattering to play because it's effortless. The tone is supreme but there is no hiding it in a mix, so if you're one of those guys who likes to sound like you have a pillow sat in front of a 15" speaker with strings that went dead twenty years ago, it's won't be for you. 

ftPVsOu.jpeg

• Like 4