Why become a member? ×

What is Your #1 bass for all situations ?

nilorius

• nilorius changed the title to What is Your #1 bass for all situations ?

If I had to go with just one of mine the most flexible is my Maruszczyk Jake, I put a Nordstrand NP5 in with a Nordstrand Big Splitman (two big singles as a humbucker) at the bridge which can be split to give a big single. Delano 3 band pre with adjustable mid band. 5 string as well. It covers a fair bit of ground, and plays really nicely. It normally has roundwounds on it but I've got a set of TI flats as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

If I had to go with just one of mine the most flexible is my Maruszczyk Jake, I put a Nordstrand NP5 in with a Nordstrand Big Splitman (two big singles as a humbucker) at the bridge which can be split to give a big single. Delano 3 band pre with adjustable mid band. 5 string as well. It covers a fair bit of ground, and plays really nicely. It normally has roundwounds on it but I've got a set of TI flats as well.

Maruszczyk Jake - interesting, can You tell us more about it, maybe picture ?

If I could keep only one bass, it would be my 2012 US Standard Precision. It currently shares wall space with two other Precisions and a couple of Jazz basses, all of which get used, but the white Precision is definitely a keeper  - I've had it nearly nine years now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Maruszczyk Jake - interesting, can You tell us more about it, maybe picture ?

I don't need asking twice to show it off :)

The Nordstrands were both custom orders to match the 17.5mm string spacing. The big splitman is amazing, each half is split coil so hardly any buzz when only using half the humbucker.

IMG_4663.thumb.JPEG.2b799fe4c3807c4c7f8dbbd1cd021c45.JPEGIMG_4662.thumb.JPEG.f5e9f00cf6ea9e37212a7804d14f4d35.JPEGIMG_4664.thumb.JPEG.f982ca4dbcfc8bef15e05beeb9547857.JPEG

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

If I had to go with just one of mine the most flexible is my Maruszczyk Jake.

Ditto. Mines passive, but just between the blend and the tone (and a bit of foam under the strings for my country gig) it's always managed everything well. It's probably my least 'posh' bass, and the only one without a pre (I've an East, a Glock and a Bart NTMB in other basses), but it's always my first choice.

FB_IMG_1593608655699.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NickD said:

Ditto. Mines passive, but just between the blend and the tone (and a bit of foam under the strings for my country gig) it's always managed everything well. It's probably my least 'posh' bass, and the only one without a pre (I've an East, a Glock and a Bart NTMB in other basses), but it's always my first choice.

FB_IMG_1593608655699.jpg

That's very nice with the natural and the black hardware.

• Like 1

I think if I were to have to take a bass to a session where I had no idea of what genre/style then it would be my Jazz, but to a session where it was my preferred music style then Precision all the way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

That's very nice with the natural and the black hardware.

Thanks!

It's pretty standard. I just specified the non-script logo, the black hardware, the naked Ash finish and no position indicators in the fretboard.

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think if I were to have to take a bass to a session where I had no idea of what genre/style then it would be my Jazz, but to a session where it was my preferred music style then Precision all the way.

I would do another way - preciason to unknown and jazz to preferred.

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I only have one bass - a p style copy.

Id like to upgrade a little to a Squire P or something. But I don’t see myself having multiple basses, just one main bass (for everything) and maybe the old one as a backup.

Squire P is not a bad choice, just find the one You feel better. Try out some Squire jazz bass also, maybe You will like them better.

32 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I only have one bass - a p style copy.

Id like to upgrade a little to a Squire P or something. But I don’t see myself having multiple basses, just one main bass (for everything) and maybe the old one as a backup.

You’re not fitting in, mister. You should have a wall full of boutique coffee table basses by now

• Haha 1

I have two basses; a Rickenbacker 4001 and a 2006 MIJ Mustang.

I know it may seem odd but, sound-and-playing-wise, I’d be hard-pressed to make a choice of one over the other.

Emotionally it would be the Ric as I’ve had it a very long time.

However, the Mustang is lighter, which I like.

It is also shorter, which our singer, who stands to my left, appreciates as she’s less likely to have her ear clipped every five minutes. 😇