Why become a member? ×

Formal Bass Grades/Exams

SumOne

Has anyone here as an adult that can already play the Bass to an alright band-playing level decided to do learning and exams for Bass Grades and thought it was worthwhile?

I don't need the certificates for what I do or what I aspire to do but I think the pressure of deadlines for exams and formal learning might help push me out of my comfort zone and improve my overall Bass playing faster than the informal way I do it - I play in two bands and learn the songs and can play the music competently, but the music is similar genres and there's no need to read music (but I can read music, slowly),  I sometimes fall into a 'that'll do' attitude and perhaps I need a formally structured kick up the ar$e! 

• Like 1

I can't comment on bass grades/exams, but did this for classical guitar some years ago (I think I jumped in and did an ABRSM grade 5 exam in my late 20s / early 30s).

It was...ok?

I remember the whole thing being very classically focused (which was fine for classical guitar, but might not be your thing if you're more into jazz for example).

It also took quite a bit of prep work, a lot of which I felt was more geared towards passing the exam, than actually making me a better all round player. E.g. we focused a lot on keys/scales that were going to be in the exam, ignoring others temporarily.

If I had the choice again, I probably wouldn't bother, but I would find a teacher that was more focused on music theory (and tell them to force me to learn it :) ).

• Thanks 1

There are different examining boards with differing syllabuses. There are separate music theory and practical grades. The one most people known about is ABRSM, which offers the classical based syllabus and a jazz one. The main boards offer grades 1 - 8 plus 3 levels of diploma.. There are some other options around as well. There are syllabuses for other genres including music theatre. Rock School has a syllabus that is aimed at pop/rock. https://www.rslawards.com/rockschool/ 

I'm working on G6 for sax and I'm about G7 on cello (ABRSM). I have G6 theory. My bass tutor thinks I'm around Rock School G3 on bass. On sax I'm following the path but not currently sitting the exams.

The process has the advantage of providing a planned graded route adding technique and complexity as you go in a structured manner. There is a risk with some people that they get to grade 8 having only ever played 24 pieces...   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Rock School approach is very different to classical. It's clearly aimed at the skills needed to play with other people rather than the traditional approach of sight reading, scales, harmony etc etc.

It's not worse, it's just different and it might not be what you are looking for.

Surprisingly Rock School also uses tabs even at G8, but of course all the rhythmic information is in the trad part of the sheet.

But then again there's differences between Trinity Rock School and RSL Rock School.

Personally, I'd have a chat with any local double bass teachers in your area. You are not looking how to learn how to play bass guitar - you can already do that. But you want someone to teach you the things you don't know - really the academics of music. Sight reading etc.

Then you can play any piece of music ever put in front of you and never have to ask if Tab is available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Has anyone here as an adult that can already play the Bass to an alright band-playing level decided to do learning and exams for Bass Grades and thought it was worthwhile?

I don't need the certificates for what I do or what I aspire to do but I think the pressure of deadlines for exams and formal learning might help push me out of my comfort zone and improve my overall Bass playing faster than the informal way I do it - I play in two bands and learn the songs and can play the music competently, but the music is similar genres and there's no need to read music (but I can read music, slowly),  I sometimes fall into a 'that'll do' attitude and perhaps I need a formally structured kick up the ar$e! 

Just listen to what other plays !

4 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Yeah, that and YouTube tutorials and a few books have done me alright so far (along with a reading and theory foundation of piano lessons when I was young). It feels like formal courses and exams could help me level up though - perhaps I'll learn to love sight reading or Jazz noodling! 

• Like 1

I think the big thing while studying was to get tools to my tool box. I do not be able to play Jeff Berlin's solos @200 bpm, but I can transcribe and understand some of the theoretical background. My sight-reading could always be even better, but I use scores and understand chords and progressions. I actually find tabs harder to read than scores.

• Like 3

I didn’t go along the grades route myself, though I had lessons for years, and bass was my first instrument on my BMus course. 

I did a Rock school instructor course module in the final year at uni. Some of the more advanced grades would require some serious practice to accomplish. You can buy the books from Amazon, it might be worth getting one or two and read through them, before deciding if they’re for you.

You might also find that you’re playing songs and styles of music that you don’t have a connection to. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but how serious do you want to take it? Have you got time to devote to it?

It might just be better to seek out a good teacher and study with them.

• Thanks 1

I am starting the grades- Rockschool 2, I think. 

I am okay with chord charts and making stuff up. I seem to have picked up simple theory (major scales, chords, key signatures) through 45 years of playing.  

However, I am not so good at sight reading,  and my ability to read and play rhythms is very poor.  I also lack the ability to hear a song and transcribe it 

I am hopeful that some grades will help me to develop those skills that I lack, and allow me to become a more well-rounded player, and more useful when it comes to supporting other musicians. 

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2022 at 16:52, nilorius said:

So, I agree that listening to what others play can inspire us bassists. 

However, mimicking other musicians can only get one so far.   For me, listening does not tell me why a musician played certain notes - nor does it tell me how to play those notes.

For that, I (and perhaps others) feel that we need formal training. 

• Like 2

Not on bass, but I took RGT courses on guitar when I was in my 30s and I'd been playing guitar on and off since I was about 13. They didn't make me start at the novice grade as they decided I already knew that.

The RGT grades were rock focused and gave me a big boost in my knowledge and playing.  It forced me to practice in a more focused way too rather than picking up an noodling phrases from songs I liked. I got to grade 5 and then it all started getting a bit too jazz/fusion for my taste.

I believe they still do the RGT course for guitar and bass and you can look up the syllabus on line.

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2022 at 07:09, bass_dinger said:

So, I agree that listening to what others play can inspire us bassists. 

However, mimicking other musicians can only get one so far.   For me, listening does not tell me why a musician played certain notes - nor does it tell me how to play those notes.

For that, I (and perhaps others) feel that we need formal training. 

Exactly!

Copying without knowing the what or whys is a little - in my opinion - like painting by numbers. The time and energy you expend now will save time and energy later on.

• Like 3

Cheers all. Looking up a few courses it seems like the RGT courses are the ones that would suit me best. I think I'll start with the books (Grade 1-8 three book bundle is £35).....they will probably get used for a few weeks and will then gather dust as I settle back into my routine! But perhaps I'll then book in with a teacher and work towards doing the formal exam grades to add some motivation.

11 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Cheers all. Looking up a few courses it seems like the RGT courses are the ones that would suit me best. I think I'll start with the books (Grade 1-8 three book bundle is £35).....they will probably get used for a few weeks and will then gather dust as I settle back into my routine! But perhaps I'll then book in with a teacher and work towards doing the formal exam grades to add some motivation.

I can't recommend getting a teacher to take you through the grades highly enough.  A good one will go beyond the syllabus and explain the context of what you are doing.  As I said earlier I went up to grade 5 but we covered a lot of theory stuff that wasn't in the books (creating scale tone chords, modal harmony and many others).  I haven't looked at the bass syllabus but if it's like the guitar one I think you'll miss out without someone explaining why you are doing what they ask you to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I can't recommend getting a teacher to take you through the grades highly enough.  A good one will go beyond the syllabus and explain the context of what you are doing.  As I said earlier I went up to grade 5 but we covered a lot of theory stuff that wasn't in the books (creating scale tone chords, modal harmony and many others).  I haven't looked at the bass syllabus but if it's like the guitar one I think you'll miss out without someone explaining why you are doing what they ask you to do. 

Yeah I think a teacher would be useful, I'll look into it. Nowadays there are so many free online lessons that they've got me to the point of being able to play in bands and to understand a reasonable amount of theory but I expect someone giving critical feedback on my technique and explaining more of the theory in context would be worthwhile.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Yeah I think a teacher would be useful, I'll look into it. Nowadays there are so many free online lessons that they've got me to the point of being able to play in bands and to understand a reasonable amount of theory but I expect someone giving critical feedback on my technique and explaining more of the theory in context would be worthwhile.  

Seconded. I worked for around 15 years as a guitar and bass tutor. Much though we might like it to be otherwise, online lessons are not the best route for every student to follow.

I guess I would say this, but IMHO there's nothing quite matches having somebody in front of you to observe, guide and answer questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1