Why become a member? ×

Idiots Guide To Irig or similar into ipad please......

roblpm

Hi,

Just back to practicing after pandemic. I usually use my HX stomp to practice but actually its irritating me! Also I will travel soon and want something zero size to take with me.

I use my ipad at the moment for either mp3 backing tracks with an ipad app called Anytune Pro so I can slow them down. Alternatively I use SuperMetronome as a drum machine. 

I understand if I get an audio interface like an iRig (which one?!!) it will work as an audio interface. So bass and headphones plugged into that and away I go......

Except. How do I mix 2 sources without a complex daw etc. I basically want to use an app on the ipad and mix in the live bass.

Hmmm audio mixer on the ipad? AUM??

Can the ipad multitask??!! Seems so just ran supermetronome and model d app at the same time but don't see how to control the level between the 2.

I do tech all day.

Want something really simple when i practice. Maybe i shoul dbuy a secondhand Bass Buddy off ebay!

Cheers

Rob

17 hours ago, Velarian said:

Are you wanting to record the bass along with the backing track or just play along with the backing track for practice purposes?

Just listen!

But anyway some progress and info for anyone else searching.

Bought Apogee Jam +. Arrived. Plugged in. Nothing happened!! Thought it didn't work. Didn't appear in Audiobus inputs. Tried to connect with garageband. Still blue light.

Restarted ipad. Tried again. Sprang into life. Green light. Weird.....

Anyway now it appears in the Audiobus list of inputs. Can use without Garageband for input it seems. So that is good. Sounds fine to me in my AKG K702s.

Next issue..... SuperMetronome isn't Audiobus compatible I think so I cant control the volume in Audiobus. Need a new drum machine.

Anytune works fine. Though hasn't been update to ios 15 etc so have to allow network permissions manually. But that is fine.

I can go in Anytune to control playback and then just switch to Audiobus app to adjust levels so it's actually great.

I think if I can sort the drum machine I like this setup better than my HX stomp for practice. Less wires. No power lead required at all! Works of fully charged ipad and I have a camera adapter somewhere if I want to charge.

Any recommendations for up to date simple drum machines?

It sounds like you’re more or less sorted but I was going to suggest the Nu-X mighty plug as a low cost, small and light device to practice with. The accompanying app for your phone/iPad streams any backing track via Bluetooth and it also has drum loops and effects built in.

If you’re now looking for drum loops to play along with, take a look at the SBL Groove Trainer. It’s a free app with loads of great sounding drum loops, a metronome and tuner.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sbl-groove-trainer/id1571452765

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Velarian said:

It sounds like you’re more or less sorted but I was going to suggest the Nu-X mighty plug as a low cost, small and light device to practice with. The accompanying app for your phone/iPad streams any backing track via Bluetooth and it also has drum loops and effects built in.

If you’re now looking for drum loops to play along with, take a look at the SBL Groove Trainer. It’s a free app with loads of great sounding drum loops, a metronome and tuner.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sbl-groove-trainer/id1571452765

Great thanks. Will do. 

Your ultimate practice system is:

iPad with anytune pro+
Darkglass Elements

…and that’s everything you need except your bass, headphones and a cable. (Obviously)

the iPad connects via Bluetooth to your iPad to play your tunes through.

and the Darkglass Elements has two separate inputs.

It has different sounds built in, two headphone outputs, and besides the regular ‘through’ output, it has a line-level DI output too so you could use it directly into a PA system!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2022 at 00:01, GremlinAndy said:

Your ultimate practice system is:

iPad with anytune pro+
Darkglass Elements

…and that’s everything you need except your bass, headphones and a cable. (Obviously)

the iPad connects via Bluetooth to your iPad to play your tunes through.

and the Darkglass Elements has two separate inputs.

It has different sounds built in, two headphone outputs, and besides the regular ‘through’ output, it has a line-level DI output too so you could use it directly into a PA system!

OK I am depressed......

Bought a Jam+ but various issues with my ultimate ipad practice setup.

a) I think the cable that came to connect to ipad (lightning) is bust. Apogee support think it is. I have bought a cheapy one to see if that works. It didnt work originally. Then it worked. Now it doesn't.

b) It turns out that you really need all apps on the ipad to be Audiobus compatible. I bought AU3. Then my supermetronome volume doesnt work.... I cant find another drum machine i like. (and anyway the jam+ isn't working on my ipad anyway.)

c) The jam+ works on my mac but garageband is crap for making simple drum rythms!

Ughhhhh

I dont like practicing with my stomp. The volume mix etc is a pain. I don't get on with fiddling with it. TBH I do tech all day. I just want to plug in and play.

The Darkglass looks great.... Maybe I will order and get the stomp on ebay! And return the jam+!

• Like 1

Honestly, I doubt you’d regret the Darkglass if you go that way.

I broke my first one after using it for about a year.    I used a 12vDC power supply (which it’s supposed to be able to handle) and it stopped working (so not entirely my fault).   I got in touch with Darkglass as it was still in warranty,  by about a week!   They arranged a courier pick up, and fixed it without any trouble or questions.   But while it was gone I still had to practice, so I ordered a new one.   So now I have two.  I use one on my pedal board and the other is for practicing silently in bed!   I can’t imagine how I ever practiced efficiently without them now!

good luck whichever route you take!

• 1 month later...

I used to use the Line 6 sonic port. It stopped working for a while after an update, then started working again. Works pretty well, I use either Jamup or anytune. If I was travelling light I would probably stick to that unless I could get one of the boss waza air things.

Currently though at home I just use the Spark Amp, which has a lot more with the jam features and effects etc.