Why become a member? ×

TC Polytune doesn't work with my 5 string

BillyBass

I acquired a 5 string bass a few months ago and its now my main bass.  I'm having issues with tuning the B and E strings, my TC Polytune won't show the capital letter B or E to aid tuning, though A, D and G tune as normal.  When I tune my 4 string basses with it, there is no problem, E, A, D and G show up as capital letters and I can adjust sharp or flat as needed.

I swapped the TC Polytune to a Polytune Mini and the same thing happens.  thankfully I have a cheap clip on tuner that functions and I also use apps on my iPhone, though tuning with an app can't be done silently.

Am I doing something wrong here?  Is this issue specific to TC Polytunes?  Or do 5 strings confuse pedal tuners?

Help!

38 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Dim question: is it set to Bass mode? Because A on a Bass is not far from low E on a guitar so I can see it managing that.

Not a dim question, but yes, my Polytune 3 is set to 'bass needle mode'. The Polytune mini doesn't appear to have a bass mode or a way of setting it up for bass...I await enlightenment here.

29 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Weird. Is it faulty? My polytune works fine for a 5.

Works fine for 4 strings , The capital E is always there...but switch to my fiver and the E and B just show up sporadically, but A, D and G are always there.  It's as if it senses its a 5 string and stops functioning well.  I keep my fingers muting the B string and still the E won't show up when tuning the fiver.

• Sad 1

I find I have to be really careful with string muting while tuning on my 5 string Warwick Corvette, my other 5 string is absolutely fine and has no issues. I think for what ever reason the Warwick is way more sensitive to sympathetic vibrations or something so it helps to mute or use harmonics on the 12th fret for tuning the B string.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I find I have to be really careful with string muting while tuning on my 5 string Warwick Corvette, my other 5 string is absolutely fine and has no issues. I think for what ever reason the Warwick is way more sensitive to sympathetic vibrations or something so it helps to mute or use harmonics on the 12th fret for tuning the B string.

I read through a thread from a certain other bass forum from overseas and someone mentioned the 12th fret harmonic.  I tried that earlier today and it worked much better than just plucking the open B and E strings.  My issue does seem to be bass specific, though I haven't got another fiver to compare.

I have also just ordered a Landlord FX 'Lock in' tuner to see if it is a tuner or bass issue.