Why become a member? ×

Trade price different to sale price

spencer.b

I've been a bit confused by ads that have an inflated trade price, would someone with the inflated trade price accept the other party also having an inflated trade price or would they insist on the other party using the market value sale price? Otherwise it would negate the different price anyway? 

36 minutes ago, Sibob said:

It encourages a straight sale, or that the seller is aware they might have to take a small hit on flipping a trade item.

Makes sense to me.

Si

I see what you mean bout a straight sale but if everyone did it then when you traded it would be for a bass that was worth the same in market value anyway and if you didn't do it you'd be mad to do a trade with a 30percent odd inflated figure against true market value on your bass wouldn't you?

Not trying to start a fight here btw , people can ask for whatever they want in there ads it doesn't fosters me off but I genuinely can't get my head round and am intrigued as to whether people who use a trade price would accept a trade price from the other party in a trade?

It came up cos a while ago there was something I fancied and I had one of the trades mentioned in the ad but they had 2 prices , £1000  and £1500 I think , it was a p and a j , same make same condition same value ish , so I thought do I say my value is £1500 for a trade even though it's worth a grand? I wouldn't trade with £500 cash , I actually passed it up, didn't wanna get involved , I guess Sibob this is actually illustrating your point that it encourages a straight sale ! 

Edited by spencer.b

The concept of a trade value is nonsense anyway, the whole point of a trade is that something you don't want goes to someone who does want it, and something they don't want but you do comes to you. There are four independent values going on here, and anyone who thinks that the complexity of the situation is helped by shoving on a pair of trade values [REDACTED]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/05/2022 at 18:26, Ricky Rioli said:

the whole point of a trade is that something you don't want goes to someone who does want it, and something they don't want but you do comes to you

Not necessarily, I suggest. Combine this with Sibob's reply (which which I agree) and you get the situation where someone will consider a trade but they'd rather have a straight sale. So they set a higher trade price to discourage trades or at least make it worth their while. They may not particularly want that something you don't want, but they will accept it provided doing so enables them to make a sale and they don't lose when they sell it on.

10 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Not necessarily, I suggest. Combine this with Sibob's reply (which which I agree) and you get the situation where someone will consider a trade but they'd rather have a straight sale. So they set a higher trade price to discourage trades or at least make it worth their while. They may not particularly want that something you don't want, but they will accept it provided doing so enables them to make a sale and they don't lose when they sell it on.

You're still wanting it, as a sellable asset not as something to play.

18 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

You're still wanting it, as a sellable asset not as something to play.

Nope. You want to sell something and you'll accept a trade, albeit reluctantly, if it's necessary to make the sale. You don't want to have to sell the traded item, but if there's no alternative, you'll bite the bullet.

Edited by Dan Dare

I dont get it.

If you dont want to trade, put NO TRADES in the sale.  One either wants to trade, or doesnt.  Bit like those cheesy tiresome " feelers. "     Either it's for sale or it isn't. Decide before posting.

Or is all that too simple ?

• Like 2

I've seen various approaches for trade value.

One that hasn't been mentioned is using the new price. So trading a used item that was £1000 new, for another used item that was also £1000 new. Obviously some items suffer more depreciation than others but that doesn't mean it's not a bad approach, if anything it's quite an honest approach as new prices are easily verifiable. 

On 01/06/2022 at 16:30, fretmeister said:

I've seen various approaches for trade value.

One that hasn't been mentioned is using the new price. So trading a used item that was £1000 new, for another used item that was also £1000 new. Obviously some items suffer more depreciation than others but that doesn't mean it's not a bad approach, if anything it's quite an honest approach as new prices are easily verifiable. 

Probably wouldn't be considering that as an option if I were ever to consider selling my Wal - which before you ask will never happen 🤣