Why become a member? ×

Diamond Comp Jr / Bass Comp Jr differences?

I’ve been wanting to try out a Diamond bass comp for a while, and the junior version seems like a no-brainer (smaller space, no awkward power supplies). However, ever since Diamond disappeared in a puff of smoke, bass comp jrs are impossible to find. There is a few comp jrs floating around, so my question is this: does anyone know if there are any differences in the circuit between these two pedals other than the centre point of the tilt EQ (which I wouldn’t be using anyway)?

Absolutely no idea, but.... apart from this vacuous statement I'd thought I'd mention that tilt EQ was my main discovery last year, especially useful on compression. Acquired a couple of pedals with tilt on them, never really thought about it before but turns out I'm a fan and I find it really useful. Between tilt eq and compression my tone sculpting is sorted. Who knows, you might find that on the Diamond it's a useful feature.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The junior version is,  what I'm aware, the exact same pedal in a smaller enclosure. I use my pedal all the time (and much as Boodang, I do love the tilt EQ)! I noticed there was a Jr for sale at Reverb just now if you are looking for one. 

On 31/05/2022 at 06:46, Boodang said:

Absolutely no idea, but.... apart from this vacuous statement I'd thought I'd mention that tilt EQ was my main discovery last year, especially useful on compression. Acquired a couple of pedals with tilt on them, never really thought about it before but turns out I'm a fan and I find it really useful. Between tilt eq and compression my tone sculpting is sorted. Who knows, you might find that on the Diamond it's a useful feature.

The standard Tone control on most pedals is actually a tilt style EQ, so sounds strange to me if you just discovered it last year.

Also to OP, I believe there are a few clones around of the Diamond compressor, the Mooer Yellow Comp at least is one for certain, and in a mini pedal enclosure format too, so that would be an option to consider.

mooer-yellow-comp.jpeg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

24 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The standard Tone control on most pedals is actually a tilt style EQ, so sounds strange to me if you just discovered it last year.

Also to OP, I believe there are a few clones around of the Diamond compressor, pretty sure that at least Mooer Yellow Comp at least is one for certain, mini pedal enclosure too, so that would be an option to consider.

mooer-yellow-comp.jpeg

I live in the twilight zone, so not so strange!

16 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Really? Aguilar octamizer is the only other tilt eq I've encountered in a pedal. Plenty of LPF-style tone knobs out there though...

1 minute ago, AJ567 said:

Really? Aguilar octamizer is the only other tilt eq I've encountered in a pedal. Plenty of LPF-style tone knobs out there though...

Really.

Probably, but the most common is tilt style.

Normally a tone control will make it brighter and less bassy above the noon position, which a LPF wouldn't.

17 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also to OP, I believe there are a few clones around of the Diamond compressor, the Mooer Yellow Comp at least is one for certain, and in a mini pedal enclosure format too, so that would be an option to consider.

I did consider the yellow comp, but Mr. Ovnilab gave it a bit of a battering. Also have had decidedly mixed experiences with cheap Chinese pedals in the past. Have you tried it out?

56 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

There’s a fair few tilt EQs in the compressor game, mostly in higher end stuff - Pressurizer, Pulp n Peel, Forest Green, the normal size Becos, Smoothie, Gorila etc.

There is a non bass jr for sale locally. It’s 160 euros, which is way less than the cheapest I found on reverb. 

I never owned a compressor but finally want to see what all the hype is about.

The other one I’m considering is the Fairfield Accountant, size and feature wise unbeatable but I have the feeling I will not get a another chance to buy a diamond for that price and I should just grab it.

On 09/08/2022 at 16:05, baldwinbass said:

I have an Accountant, it's a great small-size compressor which will colour your sound.

Me too. In the end I went back to using a Milk Box because I wanted more controllability over attack time, and though the added rawness was undoubtedly cool I ended up not being such a fan of what it was doing in the mids - and IMO the overdrive you get out of it sounds way better on guitar.

On 07/08/2022 at 08:13, Pamparius said:

The other one I’m considering is the Fairfield Accountant, size and feature wise unbeatable but I have the feeling I will not get a another chance to buy a diamond for that price and I should just grab it.

Judging by what everyone says, it seems hard to go wrong with a passive into a Diamond. That’s why I want to try one (preferably with a less awkward size and power requirement).