Why become a member? ×

In ear bass guitar mix Allen and heath qu you

Hi folks. 

I'm a bit stumped and I'm hoping for some help. So here's the story. 

I'm a bass player in a 5 piece wedding band. We're all on in ears and we're using the Allen & heath qu you app for individual monitor mixes. 

I'm using a G&L tribute 5 string and a US Musicman stingray 5 into a boss tuner and then into a LA Audio DI box straight to the desk and then aux out back to me for in ears and all controlled by the qu you app and I've a fischer in amp stick that I plug my headphones into. 

It's a very handy little setup. 

Now, the issue I'm having is with my bass guitar in my mix. 

I can mix everyone else in lovely (when I say "mix" I mean just levels as the qu you system EQ's everything when you adjust it) but when it comes to my bass it sounds like it's muffled or far away or else I have to turn everyone down so much so as I can stand out. Not ideal at all. 

What am I doing wrong or what ideas can you give me to try so that I can get my bass to stand out in the mix the way I feel it should without sacrificing the overall band mix. 

I was contemplating using an ampeg scr di and controlling my bass from it and utilising the aux in for the monitor mix from the desk but I'm not sure how that would work. 

Kinda lost but hoping for help 

Many thanks 

Derek 

• Like 1

I have quite a bit of experience with the A&H apps and can give you the following advice (apologies if it sounds obvious)

1.  Have your IEMs on a stereo mix if possible.  That way you can pan the guitars/vox left or right and keep your bass central.

2.  Are you sending any FX to your IEM mix by mistake?  Bass could have reverb applied mistakenly?  I only have a select few channels saved for quick access on my apps but periodically I will add them all and check to see if our mix engineer might have tweaked something by mistake.

3.  Is the gain input for the bass channel on your desk set too high/low if you PFL it?

4.  Have you tried plugging the bass into another channel to see if it might be the preamp on your usual channel at fault?

5.  Check your GEQ/Compressor on the mix app to see if it might be interfering with your tone.

I hope this helps somewhat.  I've heard that earphones with ambient ports sacrifice a bit of low end at the expense of stage bleed, which is desirable for some. 

10 hours ago, Rik (ESA) said:

That's bizarre; I've had a very similar experience with that app, but been fine with others - thought it was just me. It was fine for me when I dropped other levels to allow bass to sit on top, but didn't sound too great. I'm using UE6s

yeah i do try that too but i much prefer to have a fuller band mix. i know that ill have to sacrifice some things just cos thats the nature of the beast. i suspect the ue6's are better than the ampro30's

9 hours ago, acidbass said:

I have quite a bit of experience with the A&H apps and can give you the following advice (apologies if it sounds obvious)

1.  Have your IEMs on a stereo mix if possible.  That way you can pan the guitars/vox left or right and keep your bass central.

2.  Are you sending any FX to your IEM mix by mistake?  Bass could have reverb applied mistakenly?  I only have a select few channels saved for quick access on my apps but periodically I will add them all and check to see if our mix engineer might have tweaked something by mistake.

3.  Is the gain input for the bass channel on your desk set too high/low if you PFL it?

4.  Have you tried plugging the bass into another channel to see if it might be the preamp on your usual channel at fault?

5.  Check your GEQ/Compressor on the mix app to see if it might be interfering with your tone.

I hope this helps somewhat.  I've heard that earphones with ambient ports sacrifice a bit of low end at the expense of stage bleed, which is desirable for some. 

savage tips mate. ill try them. defo no fx coming thru. ill try that pan trick. that could give me some success.what does pfl mean. sorry im a bit green with this stuff. i havent tried a different channel but i will. the geq/compressor is engaged and im happy with the the tone but its the fact that i have to drive the bass so much and bring the rest of the mix down. im thinking im losing something with the ambient ear buds. ive a gig this sat and im gonna try some bits 

muchos gracias 

9 hours ago, acidbass said:

I was also thinking of adding a bass preamp pedal with xlr out and sending a 2nd line to the desk which would solely be for me. So id still send my standard clean line to the FOH engineer and then a 2nd line to the desk that I can control the volume of via the controls on the preamp pedal.