Why become a member? ×

Gloves?

As an aging rocker, I often find my left hand index finger gets  sore after playing. I have often been intrigued by Scott Devine's glove and while searching for something to make up Amazon's £20 free postage offer I saw some musician's practice gloves. I thought it was worth a punt. They came about a week ago and I have been quite impressed with them. My fretting hand technique does seem to have improved and I can play for longer or so it seems so Emperor's new clothes or useful practice/performance tool? Has anyone else tried them and what do they think?

• Like 1

I used a practice glove for a couple of years, after I had problems with the little finger on my left hand, but I don't use it now.

It helped immeasurably, subtly changed my 'tone' and made glissandos easy. Can thoroughly recommend as a temporary solution.

I was a bit hesitant to post to be honest. I know Scott has focal dystonia and that is not my problem. However the feeling I get is somewhere between pain and numbness. I suppose it is a kind of peripheral neuropathy that makes that finger feel different to the rest. The reduced feeling means all fingers feel similar.

I might start wearing a fingerless glove on the other hand as the old arthritis is giving me gyp now.

13 hours ago, itu said:

Just like @Woodinblack, I use fingerless gloves if it's cold. Playing is one kind of exercise, where the muscles have to be warm. No more wrist or finger issues.

Good point. I will try 10 minutes glove on then glove off and see if it changes.

• Like 2