Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM100 / AmpegV4B

Guest BassAdder27

I have the V4B and 212AV cab. This rig is plenty powerful enough for gigging with a rock band.  I played a medium sized room last week,  drums etc were through the pa but my bass wasn't.  Really punchy and got loads of positive comments about how it sounded out front. Best sounding rig I've ever had. 

• Like 1

Being no set definition of small to medium or loud the only way to find out is by actual test in your band.

In a earplugs required heavy hitting drummer pub rock band I find my 200w tube amp is only just loud enough in medium small venues and that's with an extremely sensitive 215 JBL cab that makes the most of 200w.

I’ve got the V4B and against the CTM100 the thing I’d say is that the eq is pretty limited, whereas the V4B has a much wider variety of tones ,not that I use much in what I play but the V4 midrange is immense,  I’ve never had either up full 

Thanks for the advice guys … as a previous user of the SVT CL head and 610 cab I don’t think I found that any better than my current ABM600 rig for the expected venues 

I’m sure the V4B is a superb head but it would not give me much more than my ABM600 already provides and the ABM will go louder I think by some way. 

So in summary I’m going to park any ideas of adding a tube head and be happy with what I already have !

On 28/05/2022 at 21:24, skychaserhigh said:

I have the V4B and 212AV cab. This rig is plenty powerful enough for gigging with a rock band.  I played a medium sized room last week,  drums etc were through the pa but my bass wasn't.  Really punchy and got loads of positive comments about how it sounded out front. Best sounding rig I've ever had. 

Do you run your V4B with master fully open and gain adjust for level or a mix of both ?

My band is rock so not looking for totally clean but a bit of grind and best volume 

Last couple of gigs I had the master at 3 o'clock (3 quarters up) and gain at about 10 o'clock. I cut the bass slightly,  boosted mids (800) and slight treble boost...this was pretty loud for a mid sized room , punchy and quite clean. I always use the gain to set the overall volume level.