Why become a member? ×

Jaco's bass of doom.

nilorius

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

But that is the mistake, right there..! 'It's' is an abbreviation of 'It is'. 'Its' is a different word, and has no need of an apostrophe. It is a word indicating possesion

Didn’t I 100% say that above, with an example? About an hour ago 

the spelling police will be after @Dad3353 isn’t it possession ? With four S’s 

(yes that apostrophe misuse was deliberate. 😛 take me to punctuation prison heh!) 

5 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Didn’t I 100% say that above, with an example? About an hour ago 

the spelling police will be after @Dad3353 isn’t it possession ? With four S’s 

(yes that apostrophe misuse was deliberate. 😛 take me to punctuation prison heh!) 

My apologies; I offer as excuse a long 'phone call from Our Daughter, for which I left my keyboard. Upon my return, I simply posted, instead of following the topic, nor reading through my own text. Mea Culpa, and well spotted. :friends:

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

My apologies; I offer as excuse a long 'phone call from Our Daughter, for which I left my keyboard. Upon my return, I simply posted, instead of following the topic, nor reading through my own text. Mea Culpa, and well spotted. :friends:

Don’t worry - you don’t have to resign, not now I just changed the rules … 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I guess I’m questioning how sure you can be since jaco didn’t hand it to someone trusted; he basically threw it away 

In which case, my comment regarding Trujillo and the effort he went to is even more pertinent!

Mind you, he seems to be enjoying himself quite a lot in footage of him playing the glued together bits of wood.... certainly not a 'meh' moment for him.

Edited by Boodang

16 hours ago, Boodang said:

Interesting (and I'm going to use that word deliberately), an AMP BH-420 amplifier came up for sale a while ago that turned out to be supplied to Jaco. The 420 was Jaco's amp of choice post Acoustic 360 and was designed by the same people. Can't remember the exact price but went for somewhere around the $1k, so can't say how much the bass of doom is worth (although Trujillo might) but that's what his last amp went for. Have to say, if it came up again at that price I'd snap it up (maybe, if you licked the capacitors you'd get some Jaco magic!).

20220529_184603.thumb.jpg.9ae4ffacb4f10eb08820bac29d725fa7.jpg

Well, I was bit off on the price!

It appears his family finally have it back.

After a long and frustrating legal battle, Jaco Pastorius’ family have finally regained ownership of his legendary “Bass of Doom”, thanks to Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo. The news comes via a statement on Metallica.com.

The bass, which was stolen from a Manhattan park bench in 1986, resurfaced in early 2006 in a New York guitar shop. The owner reportedly refused to return it to the Pastorius family and the issue was taken to court where it has been unresolved until now.

Trujillo recently stepped in to assist the family in recovering the legendary bass.

The “Bass of Doom” is Jaco’s 1962 Fender Jazz Bass that he used to record and perform up until the day it was stolen. It has a special place in the history of the bass guitar, not to mention music in general. The Bass of Doom is the same bass that Jaco famously ripped the frets out of with a butter knife, filled the gaps with Plastic Wood, and refinished the neck to convert it to a fretless. It is also the same bass that Jaco reportedly smashed after an argument in the mid ‘80s and was glued back together from over 15 pieces by his luthier, Kevin Kaufman.

Trujillo has always named Jaco as one of his greatest bass heroes, and when asked about the situation, he stated, “I felt a strong sense that it was the right thing to do for Jaco, and the family, whatever it took.”

• Like 1

If i would be richer, i would shurely pay +/- 5000e for the bass of doom. Though, i got my dream bass - Ibanez GWB1005 which i use mostly, i would put BOD to the wall and put a picture of Jaco up to it. Together it would be a nice painting for the room.