Why become a member? ×

Jaco's bass of doom.

nilorius

34 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Nothing to do with the sound it makes, everything to do with the Tolkeinesque effect on its owner's fate

That name to that bass is given because of what it had to experience with it's owner.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, nilorius said:

That name to that bass is given because of what it had to experience with it's owner.

Simply for educative purposes, knowing that English is not your first language...

tHgijtm.gif

There is a simple test for 'it's' v 'its'. Can it be replaced with 'it is' and still make sense..? If so, it's 'it's', otherwise it's 'its'. :friends:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Simply for educative purposes, knowing that English is not your first language...

tHgijtm.gif

There is a simple test for 'it's' v 'its'. Can it be replaced with 'it is' and still make sense..? If so, it's 'it's', otherwise it's 'its'. :friends:

As "it's" - I meant the bass guitar.

3 hours ago, nilorius said:

Did You learned latvian or russian at school ? (that's my humour...)

The majority of the Basschatters on here are men of a certain age (between 45 and 65). They wake up grumpy and go to bed grumpy and then wake up two, or three times in the night for a pee, and are grumpy then as well.

So feel free to ignore their attempts at humour 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, gjones said:

The majority of the Basschatters on here are men of a certain age (between 45 and 65). They wake up grumpy and go to bed grumpy and then wake up two, or three times in the night for a pee, and are grumpy then as well.

I only respond with my humour, he started.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gjones said:

Oi! It's only once per night, thankyouverymuch.

I think I'm the original grumpy, snarky bugger in this thread, and I apologise to you @nilorius for being that grumpy, snarky bugger in your thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

As "it's" - I meant the bass guitar.

And does '...because of what it had to experience with it is owner.' make sense..? I think not, and would use '...because of what it had to experience with its owner.' OK it's pedantic, I know, and is of no consequence in the Great Scheme Of Things, but it's so easy to avoid tiny errors of the sort. Hope this helps. B|
Carry on; you're doing fine. :friends:

56 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

And does '...because of what it had to experience with it is owner.' make sense..? I think not, and would use '...because of what it had to experience with its owner.' OK it's pedantic, I know, and is of no consequence in the Great Scheme Of Things, but it's so easy to avoid tiny errors of the sort. Hope this helps. B|

So where was my mistake in english ?

5 hours ago, nilorius said:

Did You learned latvian or russian at school ? (that's my humour...)

Russian. And French. A complete waste of time in both cases. Don't worry about it Nilorius your English is better than many of the native speakers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bleat said:

Why would I pay ££££'s for something when my very own shitty, knackered bass has way more personal value and playability to me (and also a true part of its journey through life).

Provenance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

I said "it's owner", not "it is" !

<it's> is the shortened form of <it is> !! The other more English English version is <'tis>.

The word its frequently gets changed by phone 'auto incorrect' into it's. It's a crime against the English language. Sometimes I miss it and have to go back and edit lest I get a punctuation police warning from Dad.

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

@niloriusi knew a German woman who’d been here 20 years, married to an Englishman, with English speaking kids, and holding down a full time job doing translation into English (much harder then into your native language) and she still made the odd grammatical error here and there. English is really, really hard. We all forget that - you’re doing just fine 

Edited by Geek99
  • Thanks 1

Interesting (and I'm going to use that word deliberately), an AMP BH-420 amplifier came up for sale a while ago that turned out to be supplied to Jaco. The 420 was Jaco's amp of choice post Acoustic 360 and was designed by the same people. Can't remember the exact price but went for somewhere around the $1k, so can't say how much the bass of doom is worth (although Trujillo might) but that's what his last amp went for. Have to say, if it came up again at that price I'd snap it up (maybe, if you licked the capacitors you'd get some Jaco magic!).

8 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

<it's> is the shortened form of <it is> !! The other more English English version is <'tis>.

The word its frequently gets changed by phone 'auto incorrect' into it's. It's a crime against the English language. Sometimes I miss it and have to go back and edit lest I get a punctuation police warning from Dad.

@niloriusit’s all about possession - the dog chewed its ball. It’s no use now/it is no use now 

I have IELTS level 9 in English and even I still need to think for a moment sometimes 

2 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Didn’t Jaco throw it down some stairs and someone picked it up and glued it together ? Hardly provenance is it 

Jaco's bass might have been in a thousand pieces and glued back together but are you telling me that if you had it in your hands you'd go just go 'meh'?!

In which case Trujillo certainly went through an awful lot of effort for just some glued together bits of wood!

7 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Jaco's bass might have been in a thousand pieces and glued back together but are you telling me that if you had it in your hands you'd go just go 'meh'?!

I go 'meh' every time I see a Jazz bass ;)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Boodang said:

In which case Trujillo certainly went through an awful lot of effort for just some glued together bits of wood!

I guess I’m questioning how sure you can be since jaco didn’t hand it to someone trusted; he basically threw it away 

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

I said "it's owner", not "it is" !

But that is the mistake, right there..! 'It's' is an abbreviation of 'It is'. 'Its' is a different word, and has no need of an apostrophe. It is a word indicating possesion