Why become a member? ×

Too many redundancies

Quilly

I played a wedding gig many moons ago where my amp just sputtered out after the second song , luckily the BL had a DI box and I was able to plug directly into the PA. I’m so paranoid that something will go wrong at a critical moment I’m bringing way too much to gigs that’s never used, it’s kinda ridiculous  Am I alone ? 

9 minutes ago, Quilly said:

You definitely need a second bass and amp imo

No chance. I've never had a bass or amp fail. I exclusively play six string bass, of which I own only one, and I only own one amp. 

If amp fails I'll plug into the PA. If the bass fails (I don't know how it ever would) I'll go home. 

I flatly refused to buy, and lug a whole load of extra gear around just in case. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quilly said:

You definitely need a second bass and amp imo

As I've got older I get less optimistic that everything will run smoothly. I bring every conceivable tool know to man/woman, strings, batteries, spare amp, spare pair of underpants.

In 99% of gigs my gear works perfectly but other band members gear malfunctions, batteries go dead, fuses blow, jacks cease to work, etc, and I am the savior of the day.

• Like 2

I recently purchased a TE elf as a backup so it’s not exactly a huge lug around and a great amp in its own right. My main amp is an Ashdown Spyder and honestly I can’t imagine it ever going wrong , built like a tank 

• Like 1

For weddings gigs, which are very well paid and in general you’re the only band I think it’s better to have the gear to hand and never need it than the other way and potentially ruin someone’s big day. As well as for the playing ability they’re paying for professionalism.

I’ve only ever needed a backup once in 40 years gigging. Quite typically I didn’t have one with me, but it was a multi band bill where we mostly all knew each other so things went ok.

• Like 8

I bring 2 of everything. Small and lightweight gear has made this a realistic option.

The last time I had any gear failed on a gig was in 2005 when a speaker lead stopped working. Before that was in 1999 when my valve amp cut out. Speakon leads and D class amps have upped my reliability figures to 100%.  I have to go back to the 80's for my last cab failure.

Sometimes I'll try both amps and both basses on a sound check and use the one that sounds best at the time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gjones said:

In 99% of gigs my gear works perfectly but other band members gear malfunctions, batteries go dead, fuses blow, jacks cease to work, etc, and I am the savior of the day.

This.

I've carried fuses since the 70's. I've given fuses to bands for PA's and guitarists for amps, but never needed one myself.

I've lost count of the times I've bailed out guitarists with batteries, leads and straps!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I bring 2 of everything. Small and lightweight gear has made this a realistic option.

The last time I had any gear failed on a gig was in 2005 when a speaker lead stopped working. Before that was in 1999 when my valve amp cut out. Speakon leads and D class amps have upped my reliability figures to 100%.  I have to go back to the 80's for my last cab failure.

Sometimes I'll try both amps and both basses on a sound check and use the one that sounds best at the time. 

Valve amps , although gorgeous sounding give me the heebie jeebies, I’m always convinced a valve will die or the some other catastrophic failure will happen , ridiculous I know . As I’ve had 3 full valve heads that never went wrong .

9 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I recently purchased a TE elf as a backup so it’s not exactly a huge lug around and a great amp in its own right. My main amp is an Ashdown Spyder and honestly I can’t imagine it ever going wrong , built like a tank 

Same here - I just leave it in my gigbag just in case (I also carry a DI). 

I have had a few amps go down over the years (usually at bigger gigs). Of course, this hasn't happened since I bought the elf but you never know... 

Like many, I carry spare head, DI boxes (take those anyway as part of the PA), leads and bits and pieces. It doesn't add up to much - class D amp and a few cables in a small padded bag, essentially, so no trouble to take it.

• Like 2

If I’m getting paid then I absolutely take a 2nd bass and a 2nd head and/or a suitable di unit to go direct and get through it.

A wedding gig would be the worst gig to have a catastrophic gear failure. It’s just a gig to us, but it’s supposed to be the best day of their lives for the happy couple.

Backup gear doesn’t have to be as expensive as main gear. A Harley Benton bass and a di unit will let the gig continue.

• Like 5

I have had a bass die on me, wireless go flat and a couple of leads die. I haven't had an amp fail. if the amp failed, I would go straight to the PA, so not worried about a spare amp, it wouldn't be ideal, but it would work. I always keep a spare jack lead beside me in case of wireless failure, although since the first time it never happened again and I have lent it to the guitarist who's leads have failed a few times, and he never has a spare of anything.

I normally have a spare bass in case, and I have enough spare leads of most types for most eventualities, and a 9v and AA batteries.  

I always take a 2nd bass and spare Amp head (MicroMark).  And always take my ‘crisis’ bag with spare microphone and clip, spare signal and power leads, strings, plecs, tool kit, gaffa  tape and re-useable cable ties.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

• Like 3

I have had a string break, amps crap out, dodgy leads. At a recent gig at the start of the second set just as I pushed my lead into the input socket of the bass, the nut and washer fell off onto the floors and the socket fell inside the bass!

I turned to tell the guitarist what happened. He looked shocked and said “what are you going to do now!” I said “nothing” just smiled, leant across and grabbed my spare bass! 
Pays to be prepared. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

I have had a string break, amps crap out, dodgy leads. At a recent gig at the start of the second set just as I pushed my lead into the input socket of the bass, the nut and washer fell off onto the floors and the socket fell inside the bass!

I turned to tell the guitarist what happened. He looked shocked and said “what are you going to do now!” I said “nothing” just smiled, leant across and grabbed my spare bass! 
Pays to be prepared

I'm thinking that should include some preventative maintenance by the sounds of things ;)

Also, are you really unlucky or am I really lucky? I have had none of the things you mention happen to me despite owning more basses than I'd like to admit, playing gigs, weekly rehearsals, traipsing across the country with my harem to bass bashes...

44 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can't even get my head around how someone breaks a bass string. 

Happened to me once. First note of the first set (soundcheck was fine) with a new set of strings and the E snapped at the ball end. 20 seconds later I'm back in the song with my spare bass. Never happened before or since so must have been a QC issue.

And earlier this year I had my first ever amp failure - my Handbox went pop halfway into the 1st set. A spare little Quilter BB800 always sits on top and is plugged in to the mains so it's just a speakon change and I'm good again. That one took about 30 seconds to get back in the game.

My thoughts are that if you are getting paid you need some sort of backup option for all your kit - basses, amps, leads whatever. I always use 2 cabs just in case one dies. And if its a wedding you absolutely have to have plan B - as above, it's just a gig for us but it's someone elses biggest day of their life and I wouldn't want to stuff that up for them....

• Like 3

I've usually got a spare power, mic and instrument lead, fuses, tape, strings (the ones that came off the bass last), 9v batteries, screw drivers, multi-tool and torch. Takes up next to no room and it's what I would expect others to do if I was paying them (and as above, it may be 'The Day' for the happy couple). I used to take a spare bass but haven't for the last few years of gigging. With the new band I may well be using a 4 and 5 string which will take care of that. 

We had the PA mixer go on us at the last gig we played. Fortunately, we were close to home and were able to get hold of another without having to break any speed limits.

You're not alone! I'm totally paranoid about equipment failures. I use 2 amps on stage, just in case, and still leave a 3rd in the car. I use 3 to 4 basses live so no issues there but I've got at least 2 spare sets of strings for each. My pedalboard has a spare psu in situ just in case, and I've got a multi effects pedal programmed up as a backup in case there's an issue with my pedals. I'm an electronics technician so I've got a soldering iron and spare bits in the car as well. In fairness I've never had a failure at a gig of anything but all the spare bits I bring have proved plenty useful for other people!

• Like 1