Why become a member? ×

Soapbar pickups 100mm X 36mm - options?

MuddBass

Apart from Kent Armstrong and Bartolini, I am looking for other manufacturers of Soapbar pickups which are 100mm X 36mm (both can be +/- 1mm).

I have had no luck with Aguilar or Nordstrand (unless I have missed something).

Thanks in advance!

What actual pickup type do you want in your "soapbars"?

Unlike on guitars where the "Soapbar" is a particular type of pickup - a fat single coil epitomised by the Gibson P90, in the bass world a soapbar cover can house anything that will fit inside. Knowing what type of pickup you want under than cover will help you to narrow down the choices.

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What actual pickup type do you want in your "soapbars"?

Unlike on guitars where the "Soapbar" is a particular type of pickup - a fat single coil epitomised by the Gibson P90, in the bass world a soapbar cover can house anything that will fit inside. Knowing what type of pickup you want under than cover will help you to narrow down the choices.

Probably Similar to Bartolini Quads, but at this stage I want to see who does that size chassis, as the options seem a little limited for the size.

34 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

What a pity about the sizing as it narrowly misses the EMG40 sizing (101.6 x 38.1 ) and that has plenty of options as to what's inside the housing. 

36 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Aguilar have the DCB G4 which is 38x102 (as is the EMG 40 sized casing)

Nordstrand will custom make anything you like.

What pickups do you have in it at the moment? 

Currently running Kent Armstrongs at the moment since 2007. It's a shame that I can't go wider than 36 really, not without routing the body which I want to avoid. 

58 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

The Delano SBC 5 string pickups I have in a Maruszczyk fretless are 100x36mm.

What Kent Armstrong ones are there? I was thinking of replacing mine, couldn’t find Barts that would fit. Do the Quads fit that size? 

Not exactly sure - I will have a look underneath the pick-ups next time I restring. 

Barts do a BD which look like they would fit.

Shame that KA didn't pick an existing common size for their own ones.

Mind you, EMG are behind on that too. Aguilar, Nords, Barts etc all make Bart and EMG sized versions of their pickups and EMG won't make Barts sized versions removing them from consideration if a bass had Bart sized pickups when it was built.