Why become a member? ×

Best gigbag-friendly mini amp as backup in case of main amp issues

Clarky

Best gigbag-friendly mini amp as backup in case of main amp issues  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best mini security blanket in case (say) a valve fails in your amp's preamp on/before the gig?

• Trace Elliott Elf 200W
    • TC Electronic BAM 200
    • Warwick Gnome 280W
    • Ashdown Ant
    • None of the above - bring a preamp pedal with DI, eg Sansamp
    • Markbass Nano Mark
    • Gallien MB200 (or 500)

Assuming using one’s own speakers in the rig where the amp goes I’d say one of the little amps, and probably choose the Warwick down to its greater power.

If I knew I was playing gigs with FOH and good monitoring then it would’ve been the Sansamp route as easier to set up & carry.

I have had to do this, when the provided amp for the gig had blown, I just plugged into the Sansamp, that went to FOH & monitors, we played barely noticed any difference to the regular setup.

But of course if there were no FOH or monitors…..

• Like 2

I have two GK MB amps, one is 500w and the other is 800w. When I gig I bring both of them, as they're not much bigger than a paperback and both are extremely loud.

You can pick them up pretty cheaply secondhand.

image.png.52d79de40d9092b258b0eeb9da239482.png

• Like 5

I’d probably go for a GK MB 500. It’s hugely capable but not sure you’d get it in a gig bag. I’ve got three smallish amps and a few big ones. I bought an Elf as a small backup to my Bugera Veyron T but of late, I’ve started using my GK MB 500 occasionally, so most of the time I stick the bugera and the gk on a small case, and whichever I use I have the other as a spare.

• Like 3

I'll vote for the Markbass Nano 300... because I've actually ended up using it as my 'main' amp. I have others to choose from, but the Nano is just a great little amp. For clarity, I'm talking about the original red Nano, not the new gold Nano II - I've not tried that yet, but will probably add one to the collection before too much longer.

I have to admit the GK MB200 is really nice, though. With everything set to noon, a P-bass on full in the front and a big ol' 410 or 215 out the back it's just a great classic rock tone, but the Markbass is a bit louder, more versatile and better suited to my band.

To keep with the thread, I have a TE Elf as the tiny backup for my Nano, but to be honest I don't know whether I like it or not. Or even if it works. I should probably plug it in and check at some point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

I'll vote for the Markbass Nano 300... because I've actually ended up using it as my 'main' amp. I have others to choose from, but the Nano is just a great little amp. For clarity, I'm talking about the original red Nano, not the new gold Nano II - I've not tried that yet, but will probably add one to the collection before too much longer.

I have to admit the GK MB200 is really nice, though. With everything set to noon, a P-bass on full in the front and a big ol' 410 or 215 out the back it's just a great classic rock tone, but the Markbass is a bit louder, more versatile and better suited to my band.

To keep with the thread, I have a TE Elf as the tiny backup for my Nano, but to be honest I don't know whether I like it or not. Or even if it works. I should probably plug it in and check at some point.

Technically, based on your last sentence, that should be a vote for the Elf!

I have a Warwick Gnome, only because it was the only mininamp in stock anywhere when I bought it. I liked the looks of the TC more and couldn't justfy the extra for the TE. I've used it regularly for rehearsals and at a gig with a single 12" 8ohm speaker and it has been perfectly adequate. the DI out is good too. I've no idea if the others would have been better or even very different but for me it's a great proof of concept. It drops in the pocket of any gig bag and does the job. The sound is absolutely fine and sounds good with a BD121 in front of it, so maybe any of the above with a Sansamp.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Technically, based on your last sentence, that should be a vote for the Elf!

True.. true... but I couldn't really recommend an amp I bought on a bored whim during lockdown #1 and haven't even been bothered to grab a cab and power up yet 🙂 It comes with a nice little bag, if that makes any odds! I could also have voted for the Sansamp as I usually have one of those with me as well, but nah, team Nano!

We played as local support for a band on their UK tour and the bassist was sharing his cab. Their tour manager was stood on stage giving mostly unhelpful directions as we were setting up, one of which was that I couldn't put my bass head on top of theirs as it could crush it (it was a GK 2001 RB - notoriously frangible) so mine would have to go on the floor at the side. I acted puzzled, pulled the Nano out of my gear bag, held it up and asked if he was absolutely sure. Was worth it for the bemused look on his face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Clarky said:

There's nothing wrong with my amp as far as I know. Brand new Orange Terror Bass. Just thinking aloud about having a backup, to be on the safe side

I’d look at the Orange Bass Butler preamp pedal in that case Clarky, that way you’d get a similar sounding item as your backup.

41 minutes ago, Clarky said:

There's nothing wrong with my amp as far as I know. Brand new Orange Terror Bass. Just thinking aloud about having a backup, to be on the safe side

You bought another one?! 😆

Just to add to this thread, a couple of times when I’ve taken my Elf as a spare, I’ve agreed to let the support band use it through my cab to save messing about with settings, once through a nemesis 4x10 and once through a BBii stacked on an Eden 1x12

No complaints on either occasion, and at The 100 club the sound engineer asked the bass player to turn it down!

Ive also gigged the elf at small pub gigs and been complimented on the tone by other band members, so it’ll definitely get you out of a scrape. At the very least, consider it a DI box that will power a cab as a bonus!

• Like 1

I have an Elf as a back up and couldn’t be happier with it. The core tone is wonderful and it can get loud. A few years ago I was depping for a loud rock band in a pub in London and due to the slightly annoying load in decided to leave my ABM in the car and use the Elf and a single Super Compact. I didn’t have PA support but the amp coped and sounded wonderful. There wasn’t really any headroom to go louder if we had gotten to that stage but it filled the pub room with the single Barefaced cab mighty impressively.

• Like 2

I have an Elf and quite like it.  But, in true Basschat fashion, I'd choose none of the stated options and put forward the Tecamp Puma.  It wouldn't struggle and sounds glorious.  They come up secondhand from time to time.

• Like 3

I don't have any of these but would go for the Gnome for the following reasons. Firstly although I love the design of the Elf and it did create this section of micro amps, it is a higher priced for no obvious gain. Secondly, the Gnome has more power and suggests it could handle being pushed harder for longer. The power amp in the GK MB200 needs serious heat management to operate at anywhere near full power and that needs a bigger box. Add the fact that the EQ section is rather unique to GK and that would be out for me (I used to own a GK combo with effectively the MB200 amp inside).

The Gnome now comes with a 4 year warranty, that is a double edged sword. It does protect you for longer BUT sometimes an extended manufacture's warranty indicates a product has had reliability problems, or is not selling well. I have heard nothing about the Gnome being unreliable but its worth keeping in mind. 

Markbass, seem to be a problem if something does go wrong and are extremely unhelpful if it does, so that is a no from me.

I think the pre-amp pedal with DI makes a lot of sense to take as well as, rather than instead of a micro amp as you never know what  FOH you will get.

• Like 1

If you want this to be a backup for an OTB 500 (which I've had, twice) then the MB200 (which I've had) won't cut it - far too 'clean'. The Trace Elf 200 (which is my current backup) is a very good fit with an OTB 500.

I haven't owned any of the other choices in your poll, so can't comment on their suitability.

• Like 1