Why become a member? ×

Abbatar

I heard an interview with one of the production team, yesterday morning on BBC R4. It might have been the director, I missed the very start. From the amount of work the band had to put in to create the show, it didn’t sound like an easy option for them.

It can be argued that it won’t be a ‘real’ performance but they’re upfront and not trying to fool anyone.

Can someone explain to me what you're likely to see if one were to attend one of these shows?  I've seen a brief 50 second promo clip from the song Mama Mia and that's it.  I'm interested, but I will not be going.

I couldn't give a rat's bottom as to the technology behind it; at the end of the day whatever is up on stage isn't them and irrespective of how they've achieved the motion capture and do the projection isn't it just the equivalent of watching a film or video game?  I just took a look at tickets; this thing is running until May 2023 (at least) and tickets are £40-£200, five days a week (Mon/Thu/Fri) with two shows a day at weekends.  Jesus.  But hey, we're all getting a £400 fuel rebate, so what better to spend it on, eh?  Who needs to keep warm.

The sadness (beyond the fact that people are shelling out a fortune to watch) is that it's almost certain Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are rubbing their hands together and going, 'Oh man, do you realise we can sack the two imposters and still  make a fortune into our eighties and we won't have to put these ridiculous outfits again.'

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The sadness (beyond the fact that people are shelling out a fortune to watch) is that it's almost certain Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are rubbing their hands together and going, 'Oh man, do you realise we can sack the two imposters and still  make a fortune into our eighties and we won't have to put these ridiculous outfits again.'

Will thier version be called a 'Flabbatar' ?

• Haha 1

Mixed feelings about this.   It's incredibly clever, and has made a lot of peoples dreams come true in being able to see (arguably) the greatest pop band in history in their heyday, on stage.   ABBA have always been upfront that the main reason trey won't play live again is because they want to be remembered as they were, and they clearly feel this is the best way to make a comeback whilst still staying true to that aim.   You have to respect them for that, and its not as if any of them need the money.  Nor is it laziness; B & B at least have never stopped working hard in music.

But personally, I'd far rather see the genuine oldies on stage, giving it what for and enjoying themselves.  Blimey, if the Stones can still do it, anyone can.....

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Um. I literally have no idea what is being discussed so what do I search for?

It's about the ABBA tour Stu, and them using CGI VR version of themselves on stage. Hence ABBAtar (Avatar).

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Thanks 1

I think it can get a bit creepy and arguably exploitative when they use the avatar of someone who's dead. But in this case, with the whole band very much alive and actively a party of it. Fair play to them I say. It obviously has a massive audience, so why not? 

I'd rather see a virtual ABBA than the real version of 99% of what passes for music these days. 

• Like 1

Technically amazing but utterly soulless. It’s just like a fancy 3D tv at great expense. But if people are crazy enough to pay the prices it will carry on. Not for me, but then I can’t stand ABBA so wouldn’t go if they were all playing live at the end of my drive, except to tell them to get lost.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Technically amazing but utterly soulless. It’s just like a fancy 3D tv at great expense. But if people are crazy enough to pay the prices it will carry on. Not for me, but then I can’t stand ABBA so wouldn’t go if they were all playing live at the end of my drive, except to tell them to get lost.

You don’t have to like them, but the songwriting and construction is a thing of beauty and some of those bass lines are so good to play.

• Like 7

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You don’t have to like them, but the songwriting and construction is a thing of beauty and some of those bass lines are so good to play.

I agree. Probably not something that would be at the top of my playlist on a daily basis. But exceptionally talented songwriters.