Why become a member? ×

Midi foot switch

ambient

I’m looking for recommendations for a midi foot switch for my Mod Devices Dwarf.

I’ve seen a few people using the McMillen Softstep, which is too expensive and too complicated.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend something please?

The MeloAudio midi Commander looks like an interesting contender, has anyone any experience of using it?

Edited by ambient

• ambient changed the title to Midi foot switch

I did some research into this (for use with my HX Stomp).  I found some nice ones and some really nice ones (All via google) , but none of them ticked my "must-have" boxes (The box usually unticked was needing to be reasonably priced!).

So in the end I decided to build one myself ... details to go up soon in the build diaries.

S'manth x

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

MIDI foot switch cover a lot of possible options from simple MIDI program change commands to a full 2 Octave pedal board and lots between.

What exactly do you need this footswitch to do?

Control - switch on/off virtual pedals on my Dwarf boards. I’m currently using my MacBook to switch them on or off.

These are examples of my virtual pedal boards.

I think I’ve settled on a Morningstar pedal.

5ABE6E62-B88C-4B5E-8BA1-33C8A9BABC1B.jpeg

BE1D43FE-FB76-485F-AE3E-0C178DF6E650.jpeg

I do like the MOD-UI interface, I gather that if you have a WiFi dongle plugged into your Mod it can be used wirelessly from, say, a tablet.

I have plugged a CME Widi Master (MIDI over Bluetooth) into my Stomp.  The Widi Master has a quoted 3ms latency, it's amazingly responsive. I've got Midi Designer on my iPad and can control the stomp from it (and it gets updated if I tweak the knobs on the Stomp) ... with my iPad in a mic/music stand mounted clamp.

1274446577_IMG_20220527_114815_MPMedium.jpeg.0ac4f1cd08d0fddc311cca774587f2f3.jpeg715543896_IMG_20220527_114834_MPMedium.jpeg.f02458b9643d08a93736b679b01c6793.jpeg

But it is not hands free, so not good for mid song changes!

Also, whilst Line 6 have a rather good editor (HX Edit) it only runs on Windows/Mac OS ... from what I've seen with MOD-UI it is superior in this respect (And also it's open source!)

The Morningstar units caught my eye too, they seem nice ... but without integrated Bluetooth Midi they did not tick my boxes. (Dare I suggest they are trumped by trampa lol)

On a separate note I'd love to hear what you think of your Mod, how you selected it, how you use it, etc.  Perhaps PM or a different thread?

S'manth x

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smanth said:

I do like the MOD-UI interface, I gather that if you have a WiFi dongle plugged into your Mod it can be used wirelessly from, say, a tablet.

I have plugged a CME Widi Master (MIDI over Bluetooth) into my Stomp.  The Widi Master has a quoted 3ms latency, it's amazingly responsive. I've got Midi Designer on my iPad and can control the stomp from it (and it gets updated if I tweak the knobs on the Stomp) ... with my iPad in a mic/music stand mounted clamp.

1274446577_IMG_20220527_114815_MPMedium.jpeg.0ac4f1cd08d0fddc311cca774587f2f3.jpeg715543896_IMG_20220527_114834_MPMedium.jpeg.f02458b9643d08a93736b679b01c6793.jpeg

But it is not hands free, so not good for mid song changes!

Also, whilst Line 6 have a rather good editor (HX Edit) it only runs on Windows/Mac OS ... from what I've seen with MOD-UI it is superior in this respect (And also it's open source!)

The Morningstar units caught my eye too, they seem nice ... but without integrated Bluetooth Midi they did not tick my boxes. (Dare I suggest they are trumped by trampa lol)

On a separate note I'd love to hear what you think of your Mod, how you selected it, how you use it, etc.  Perhaps PM or a different thread?

S'manth x

The Mod Dwarf is fabulous I’ve been looking at them for ages.

I’m a solo bassist, it’s perfect for what I do. This is my current rig. A Darkglass compressor and element that I use as a preamp. Then the Dwarf.

27BF5A2E-00F5-4625-8A15-B58AD4B33410.jpeg

• Like 1