Why become a member? ×

Compressor pedal

Smiles

11 hours ago, krispn said:

There’s an Aguilar DB599 for £99 and a spectracomp for less on the for sale ad’s right now which are both decent options. The 599 maybe a little more intuitive as a play and play pedal. 

You’ll find most folk on bc take a pint on pedals here knowing they can reload and take a chance on an unknown purchase as they can easily flip it. For many of us it’s one of the best features - access to used gear which is decent quality and good resale opportunities. And the banter of course. 

Brill thanks for info Krispn 

Stu 

6 hours ago, Smiles said:

Brill thanks for info Krispn 

Stu 

I use the hyper luminal too and the additional tweaking you can do via the Darkglass suite means you can tailor the low end with the HPF the set and forget and then have some very high quality compression available plus you can dial these tweaks in for each of the three compression types so you have three on the fly options all the time. Means you can simply and easily try them out with a simple tap. There’s other great compressors out there too but the DG is a really well thought out unit. 

Good luck 

10 hours ago, Smiles said:

Thanks garyt sounds like a pedal to look into , I like a lot of low end in my sound I play in a Ska / Reggae band so I’m thinking i would want the low end compressed a bit to allow me to increase volume without farting out the speakers , we’re a 9 piece band and there’s always a lot of sound on stage and often pretty loud so the whole reason for me looking into good compressors is to keep my sound tight and controlled when I have to pick the volume up a bit 

stu 

Check out Amos Heller’s demo on YouTube of the Hyper Luminal.

I set the HPF filter to 120Hz, and found this to work really well live.  I tested this by setting one of the compressors with everything below 120Hz uncompressed, and another compressor with all frequencies compressed, and the former definitely felt fatter and tighter in a band mix.  But compressors divide opinions, so only you’ll know what works for you. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smiles said:

Thanks fretmeister crikey you’ve pretty much had them all , what’s different about the Boss pedal .. sound .. ease of use ?

best regards 

stu

ease of use and none of the dip and swell volume effect that traditional compressors can suffer from.

Its very transparent too. No tone changes.

13 hours ago, Smiles said:

Thanks garyt sounds like a pedal to look into , I like a lot of low end in my sound I play in a Ska / Reggae band so I’m thinking i would want the low end compressed a bit to allow me to increase volume without farting out the speakers , we’re a 9 piece band and there’s always a lot of sound on stage and often pretty loud so the whole reason for me looking into good compressors is to keep my sound tight and controlled when I have to pick the volume up a bit 

stu 

If you're not doing a lot of slapping and popping, there shouldn't be too many high freqency peaks to catch you out. You might find that a high-pass filter such as a thumpinator will tighten up the low end and protect the speakers without the complications of getting compressors dialled in properly.

On 27/05/2022 at 22:22, Smiles said:

Thanks Martin that’s useful info 👍I’m hoping to try both the Keeley and the MXR out this weekend , both are very popular compressors and have really good reviews 

best regards 

Stu 

Did you manage to try these out, although the weekend isn’t over yet?

Edited by ezbass

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

Did you manage to try these out, although the weekend isn’t over yet?

Not yet as the music shop hasn’t received the Markbass head I’m trying out yet so was going to try the compressors at the same time , they’re chasing the supplier so hopefully will get along there this week or next weekend , at the moment they do have the Keeley and MXR in store but will try others as well while I’m there 

Stu 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pete.young said:

If you're not doing a lot of slapping and popping, there shouldn't be too many high freqency peaks to catch you out. You might find that a high-pass filter such as a thumpinator will tighten up the low end and protect the speakers without the complications of getting compressors dialled in properly.

Interested in the thumpinator not heard of those before , thanks for info will look into that 

Stu 

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

ease of use and none of the dip and swell volume effect that traditional compressors can suffer from.

Its very transparent too. No tone changes.

That’s great thanks for the info 

Stu 

Firstly don’t use the compressor on the ABM600 as it drops your volume and sucks tone.

I now use the MXR 87 and it works brilliantly with the ABM600 head.

I set mine as MXR suggest and raise the MXR output so I just hit the VU meter Red on my loudest notes.

The result is a louder amp, more definition and thump and no large peaks to worry the speakers 

19 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Firstly don’t use the compressor on the ABM600 as it drops your volume and sucks tone.

I now use the MXR 87 and it works brilliantly with the ABM600 head.

I set mine as MXR suggest and raise the MXR output so I just hit the VU meter Red on my loudest notes.

The result is a louder amp, more definition and thump and no large peaks to worry the speakers 

That’s great information thank you , the MXR is the one I’m leaning towards after reading a 1000 reviews 😄 I’ll probably still wait to try it until the Markbass vintage 1000 arrives at the shop I’m dealing with then try both at the same time , but unfortunately delivery time on the amp is the 31st July 

thanks again 

Stuart 

On 27/05/2022 at 12:12, Boodang said:

A good place to start is the tc electronic Spectracomp, as A. It's v cheap s/h & B. The toneprints mean it's not a 1 trick pony, it'll do everything from subtle transparent to 3 band full on colourisation.

Or go for the TC Hypergravity, it's a Spectracomp and more. The 4 knobs give more adjustabilty and there is a toggle switch for "spectracomp", the chosen Toneprint and "Classic" modes. It only cost me £2 more than a Spectracomp when the latter was out of stock.

On 06/06/2022 at 23:10, BassThing said:

Or go for the TC Hypergravity, it's a Spectracomp and more. The 4 knobs give more adjustabilty and there is a toggle switch for "spectracomp", the chosen Toneprint and "Classic" modes. It only cost me £2 more than a Spectracomp when the latter was out of stock.

Like the sound of that will certainly look into that one thanks for the help 

Stuart 

Just read the thread above this 'new joyo compressor' a mxr clone apparently, might be wort a look.

I use the Spectrocomp (it's incorporated in my Spectradrive pedal) and it is an easy to use device and as said previously it is a doddle to change the toneprints.

On 10/06/2022 at 08:51, naxos10 said:

Just read the thread above this 'new joyo compressor' a mxr clone apparently, might be wort a look.

I use the Spectrocomp (it's incorporated in my Spectradrive pedal) and it is an easy to use device and as said previously it is a doddle to change the toneprints.

Thanks for the post Naxos I’ll look at that , I’ve noticed Andertons in Guildford have a Black Country customs custard factory pedal SH in store , any idea what there like 

best regards 

stu

happy empress bass compressor user here. it does transparent compression extremely well, is very adjustable,  has two colour circuits if you'd like a bit of, well, colour, and packs in some other features that some other pedals don't (the sidechain hipass filter is extremely useful for me). also the leds on it are very easy to read so you can exactly what its doing.

they're bloody expensive though, and you can definitely get something very good for less. the mxr seems to be very highly regarded.

i have a TC spectracomp and its a very unique and interesting pedal with a massive bunch of tricks, including multi-band, which is really cool. but i just prefer to have knobs on the pedal.

20 hours ago, robiredale said:

happy empress bass compressor user here. it does transparent compression extremely well, is very adjustable,  has two colour circuits if you'd like a bit of, well, colour, and packs in some other features that some other pedals don't (the sidechain hipass filter is extremely useful for me). also the leds on it are very easy to read so you can exactly what its doing.

they're bloody expensive though, and you can definitely get something very good for less. the mxr seems to be very highly regarded.

i have a TC spectracomp and its a very unique and interesting pedal with a massive bunch of tricks, including multi-band, which is really cool. but i just prefer to have knobs on the pedal.

The better adjustable units are expensive indeed... I have A-B'd  Mxr' Keeley' Boss' Lelhe' Spectracomp' against a Cali 76 compact bass Compressor..... & they don't even come close... to the refined sound of the Origin.. 

The 76 simply has a refined sound & it takes a good ear & knowledge of the unit to get the best out of it..... Compression is a Dark Art... One' that takes time to understand & implement it.... 

Edited by paulo m

The Broughton Omnicomp is well worth a look. Every setting sounds good. They went though a period of selling out in a minute or two but the last drop saw them sit around for about an hour so there may be a decent opportunity to get one on Friday next week. Just sign up for notification when it’s back in. It’s usually between 11am and midday but sometimes gets mixed up for later drops (which may include the next one).

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/omnicomp