Why become a member? ×

Is there a general amp stock shortage? (Other than Mesa)

fretmeister

I've been looking at a new amp, and I've got a short list and I'd like to try them in person.

There's a PMT close by and I'm an hour from Brum so that's ok too. But I can't seem to find any shop, or even a couple of shops not too far from each other with stock of bass amps over about £400.

All I want to do is try a couple of Mark Bass models and an ABM600 to decide. I don't particularly want to order and return 3 times and I haven't got the funds to order 3 amps at once to A/B them at home.

Is the component shortage affecting more expensive models compared to the lower powered stuff? Or are shops just not stocking them at the moment as a consequence of a lack of gigs over the last 2 years?

Are you looking at tube/valve heads? I know the ABM600 is all tube, dunno what markbass models you were looking at.

There's a global shortage of tubes, which is really the least of our worries given the thing causing it is our seemingly inexorable spiral into another global war.

Maybe time to consider switching to class D amplification.

Spend any money you save in the process on a geiger counter and iodine tablets.