Why become a member? ×

The joy of the P

wintoid

13 minutes ago, thewebow said:

So basically the same price as 2010-2016 USA p!! I wonder how long new American pro II’s are going to stay at £1.6k!? 

not been to visit fender fever yet. Had a nice interaction about part exchanging a guitar for a bass earlier this year.  I will look forward to arranging a visit with him once I have cash for a new p! ;) 

Yeah, I guess these ones are up there with the MIA in price. They are the equivalent of Vinteras though, so higher spec and vintage features compared to standard MIJ models. 

Last year, just after Christmas, they put a load of basses on eBay in an auction rather than BiN and they went for more reasonable prices, so it might be worth hanging on if you get the cash around the back end of the year.

If you're around North London then Richard at Electrohill (in the same building), is worth a look if you're looking for anyone to do setups etc too.

51 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Yeah, I guess these ones are up there with the MIA in price. They are the equivalent of Vinteras though, so higher spec and vintage features compared to standard MIJ models. 

Last year, just after Christmas, they put a load of basses on eBay in an auction rather than BiN and they went for more reasonable prices, so it might be worth hanging on if you get the cash around the back end of the year.

If you're around North London then Richard at Electrohill (in the same building), is worth a look if you're looking for anyone to do setups etc too.

Amazing nuggets of knowledge!!  Thank you so much Jonesy for the tips. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

I've recently re-bonded with a 1973 P that I bought about 10 years ago.  I used it a few times but it had some dodgy frets so it sat in its case for a few years and I used a Sadowsky HPJ instead. At one point I thought I'd sell it but decided against it.  Glad I didn't.  Eventually I got it re-fretted and plecked at Chandlers in Kew and  fitted with a set of Rotosound flats.  Like many Fenders it had a dead spot on the G-string but when I bought it there was this headstock shaped brass plate in the case. A "Fathead".  It fixed the problem.  It now sounds just like a P should and is a joy to play. It's now a tough choice between this and the HPJ for the next gig.

p_01.thumb.JPG.b4854c771cf4e81d731fd3a4d919f439.JPG

• Like 4

15 hours ago, nilorius said:

Fender and Schecter is like California and Moscow.

Really? Schecter is a USA company like Fender. Schecter was founded in America in 1976. Schecter has its own range of American made guitar and basses, as well as producing its cheaper ranges in countries like Korea. Fender under its own name makes basses and guitars in Mexico and Japan. Fender also owns Squier range of instruments which are made in Korea or China. Schecter has nothing to do with Russia. 

Although Fender owns more companies than I mentioned above. Really it is comparing Apples to Apples from a corporate perspective.  

Edited by Triumph_Rock
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

My puerile mind is disappointed that there is not a thread for P basses with two P pickups called The joy of the PP

Yes I know I am childish

😂 then of course there’s the PJ.

However I haven’t worn PJs for years 😀👍😂

7 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

😂 then of course there’s the PJ.

However I haven’t worn PJs for years 😀👍😂

Just as long as we don’t start a separate thread for those PJs with a specific set of after-market pickups installed. Not sure we need the joy of PJ and Duncans.

• Haha 3

My Harley Benton “Shamberg” (MP-4EB) is technically a PM, but the P is really where I’m at, sonically. The M is frosting on a solid cake, you might say. I’d probably be happy with just the P. 

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Yes, the re-fin is nearly complete.  When all the finish is gone it'll be, err, finished 😄

Could've saved the bother and gone for a 'Natural' finish, then. ¬¬

:lol: :P

• Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 18:15, Ed_S said:

Just as long as we don’t start a separate thread for those PJs with a specific set of after-market pickups installed. Not sure we need the joy of PJ and Duncans.

😂 You win the internet! 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I Tried a very nice 57 AVRI in gold at the bass gallery today. Very interesting neck. Almost fatter and comfortable around 8-12 fret but slimmer at nut. Anyone know how this compares to a ‘62? 

also tried a JV Squier. About the same money. The Squier had a lovely thin fretboard and smaller thiner frets. Very much not like the older style pro ii style frets. 

which would you go for?

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/all/products/fender-precision-bass-57-avri

and the Squier:

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/all/products/squier-jv-precision-bass-1984

i suppose the ‘57 fits my needs for vintage sounding p better. Did have a very loud bark on the treble setting I didn’t love. But sure a nice set up and some flats would get it there!

24 minutes ago, thewebow said:

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/all/products/fender-precision-bass-57-avri

and the Squier:

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/all/products/squier-jv-precision-bass-1984

i suppose the ‘57 fits my needs for vintage sounding p better. Did have a very loud bark on the treble setting I didn’t love. But sure a nice set up and some flats would get it there!

I've found that some Precision's I've owned and played have had a loud bark when running at full volume. It's like they are just a bit too hot and aggressive and just dialing back the volume a tad tames it. Not sure if that's an actual thing with Precision's but noticed it on a few over the years.

18 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I've found that some Precision's I've owned and played have had a loud bark when running at full volume. It's like they are just a bit too hot and aggressive and just dialing back the volume a tad tames it. Not sure if that's an actual thing with Precision's but noticed it on a few over the years.

Good to know. It almost made me jump off the stool. I mean it was a good honk but seemed like something that needed to be tamed or slightly brought under wraps. As I say it did have roundwounds on.. loved the neck profile. Very comfortable in the hand. Especially for that 5-12 section of the neck.. 

2 minutes ago, thewebow said:

Good to know. It almost made me jump off the stool. I mean it was a good honk but seemed like something that needed to be tamed or slightly brought under wraps. As I say it did have roundwounds on.. loved the neck profile. Very comfortable in the hand. Especially for that 5-12 section of the neck.. 

Were the pickups too high perhaps? Lower those pickups and get them away from the strings to tame it a bit I reckon.

Si