Why become a member? ×

The joy of the P

wintoid

3 hours ago, ern500evo said:

I’ve got some fairly decent quality basses at the moment, a Dingwall NG2, Warwick SS1, Yamaha Attitude Ltd, a Spector….so why oh why am I constantly looking at the ad for a Mexican P bass deluxe which is for sale locally?! I have a strict policy this year, any purchases have to be funded by gig earnings, or something has to be sold to fund it, it’s gotten so bad that I’ve even contemplated selling the Dingwall to buy a Mexican P bass which is under £500. Even more stupid is the fact that, if o roll off the front pickup on the Yamaha, I’ve basically got a DiMarzio loaded P bass. GAS is a strange mistress, I tell thee! 

Life's too short for rigid rules

• Like 1

100% agreed.

my dilemma is do I commit to the P and get a second USA p bass - which means ditching my MIM jazz and stringing one with flats and the other with roundwound or tapewound?Am I being foolish for wanting one with roundwounds too or do I just commit to one sound ;) 

I decided to string my only P bass with flats a couple of months ago, and bought a MiM P to play with rounds on. That lasted less than one day before it too was strung with flats. I then bought another P bass (50s classic series) and changed that to flats almost as soon as I had my hands on it.

Same story with my Jazz basses, strung one with flats and bought another to use with rounds….both have flats on now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I decided to string my only P bass with flats a couple of months ago, and bought a MiM P to play with rounds on. That lasted less than one day before it too was strung with flats. I then bought another P bass (50s classic series) and changed that to flats almost as soon as I had my hands on it.

Same story with my Jazz basses, strung one with flats and bought another to use with rounds….both have flats on now!

What flats are you using out of interest? Have you tried the EB cobalts flats which apparently sound a bit brighter?

I have a fretless P with unknown flats on them. They feel and sound great.. 

for a more modern sound I might keep roundwounds on a p/j or lesser P..

Still need to get the perfect p for flats.. I tried an American pro II in bass gallery with Thomastick flats.. it was out of this world good.. but at that time I was looking for a fretless.. regret not picking it up too!!

I’ve got the holy trinity (p, j & stingray)

I’ve had my j for 22 years. My p for 4 years and my stingray for 2 years.

if I had to choose one it would be the p.

It’s odd really - it has a fat neck which I’ve come to love, and doesn’t jump out of a live mix as much as the other 2, not particularly versatile either. I didn’t love it straight away either - it’s been a slow burn!
I have too say I adore the j and the stingray too

9 hours ago, thewebow said:

What flats are you using out of interest? Have you tried the EB cobalts flats which apparently sound a bit brighter?

I have a fretless P with unknown flats on them. They feel and sound great.. 

for a more modern sound I might keep roundwounds on a p/j or lesser P..

Still need to get the perfect p for flats.. I tried an American pro II in bass gallery with Thomastick flats.. it was out of this world good.. but at that time I was looking for a fretless.. regret not picking it up too!!

Both of the Jazz basses are strung with La Bella FX flats, two of the Precisions have LaBella FS & FL, the 50s Classic Precision has Rotosound flats, which are brighter than the LaBellas. The Rotosounds have only been on for a couple of weeks, so may loose their brightness a bit over time.

34 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I had a fret less 68 P bass when I was 17, and played the exclusively for the next 4 years or so. Traded it on a RD Artist…wish I still had the P…

Sounds lush. Mine is a mere 90’s model. Plays great and neck is divine. The flats suit it so well.. but I imagine a ‘68 would have been amazing. 

First decent bass was a 75 jazz and had it 20 odd years , had the odd P but found them a bit limiting 

Bought a brand new mex one in lock down and it's plays a dream with a tonepot that works 

I play all over the area from thumb over the neck to digging in at the bridge so miss the jazz back pick up for some songs . 

I’d say any US Standard from late 90s onwards. Each range has subtle differences but none that significant. My particular faves are the 2012-15 Series, but I’m happy with pretty much any US Standard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d say any US Standard from late 90s onwards. Each range has subtle differences but none that significant. My particular faves are the 2012-15 Series, but I’m happy with pretty much any US Standard.

I concur. The Japanese and Mexican versions are great but there is something about the American standard that sets them apart.

Edited by ubit

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

I concur. The Japanese and Mexican versions are great but there is something about the American standard that sets them apart.

Yes, the much larger price tag for pretty much the same thing 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

i have a 2009 p bass. And I have to say it is amazing and sounds great but I am not sure how well it will handle flatwounds. It feels light and the neck is far more streamlined than my 90’s fretless p bass. What I was wondering is whether to go 90’s again, AVRI or as you say more modern. I tried two American pro ii’s recently- exactly same model but felt very different.. one felt very vintage and like an old 62 neck, the other one seemed to be less so and not to be leaning that way… so in order to go flat with a p.. which age or model should I be hunting for? 

I’ve had many a Precision, so my observations are:

Late 90s/early 00s - thick chunky deep neck

04 - 08 Series - thick deep neck, S1 switching

08 - 12 Series - flatter neck, not so much depth 

12 - 15 Series - thick chunky deep neck, Custom Shop pickups

Professional 1 Series - slimmer shallower neck than 12 -15, modelled on the 63 neck which is meant to be the holy grail of P necks

All can take flats without a problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I played my 2022 MiM Player Precision at this afternoon's gig - felt and sounded OK but not as good as the 2012 US Standard I played at yesterday's gig. Same amps and strings for both gigs. The Player is a good back-up bass, but the US Standard retain top place in my affections.

8 hours ago, thewebow said:

What do people reckon is the best value for money? Used of course: American pro II, AVRI or older American pro? 

Japanese vs USA?

also do vintage features really make that much difference to the sound?

🍿… 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Professional 1 Series - slimmer shallower neck than 12 -15, modelled on the 63 neck which is meant to be the holy grail of P necks

Seems like American pro 1 is what I am after to counteract my 08-12..

thanks again. 

2 hours ago, thewebow said:

i have a 2009 p bass. And I have to say it is amazing and sounds great but I am not sure how well it will handle flatwounds. It feels light and the neck is far more streamlined than my 90’s fretless p bass. What I was wondering is whether to go 90’s again, AVRI or as you say more modern. I tried two American pro ii’s recently- exactly same model but felt very different.. one felt very vintage and like an old 62 neck, the other one seemed to be less so and not to be leaning that way… so in order to go flat with a p.. which age or model should I be hunting for? 

Any. I randomly tried them on my bitsa made of jap parts and they work fine. Also tried on a jap 62 reissue… also fine

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

They were making US Standards in 2016 with the CS pickups.