Why become a member? ×

Centre detent.

Is it possible to make the centre detent, in pots that have one, more obvious? And, if so, how?

I don’t want to have to concentrate so hard in the middle of a song just to feel when I am in the middle of a pot’s sweep (it’s only a couple of the pots on my Warlock, they’re fine on my other basses). I have put speed knobs, with numbers, on it, but I still have to concentrate to see the numbers, and I don’t think they suit the bass aesthetically.

To get more of a prominant center feel, try smaller knobs, or less grippy, less prominent knurl... that way you have less leaverage to overcome the center 'notch'...

Although speed knobs are smooth they are quite large. 

Ibbys tend to use smaller knobs on the EQ pots

Grub Screw or push on?

I love the Full Dome Vanson, nice weight and quality feel, have them on my 3 Bitsa's...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-NEW-Vanson-Domed-Knobs-for-TL-guitar-Push-On-Chrome-Black-or-Gold-VP001-/120883790899?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Vanson also a couple of non std OD sizes...

Edited by PaulThePlug

Except for the large dome, those knobs don’t look dissimilar to what was on the bass in the first place.

Even when I concentrate, and knowing exactly where it is (because of the numbered knobs), I still struggle to feel the notch.

If there’s no way to enhance it (and I am happy to open the pot if that’s what is required), then I will have to replace the offending pots. I’d ideally like to change the whole wiring loom including the preamp (for one with a Mid setting and a bypass option), but it is a very small cavity and has no separate battery compartment.

You want more tactile feel, you probably have to open the pot. The feel comes - most likely - from a spring you need to bend a bit, and then build the component back to a complete unit. An hour or two of work depending on the pot and the electronics.