Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 character plus series

hookys6stringbass

Wish list:  something like a VT deluxe on steroids - the Bass Super Deluxe?  Programmable with Ampeg/Hiwatt/Fender/Orange/Marshall character plus Trace? or liverpool? or something 'modern clean'?  (six would work well with the 2 banks of 3 format of the VT Deluxe, less development cost with the existing technology) .  It would have the usual DI, cab sim, etc.etc.   This would suit my 'old school' simple bass approach perfectly, one good (excellent?) tone will do for any bass / cab / amp / room / genre / live / recording scenario  I am playing in.  <Cliche alert>The rest is in my hands</Cliche alert>.  

• Like 1

As exciting as it is to have the Leeds back, my enthusiasm is dampened somewhat by the seemingly random distortions they're being paired with.

That and the dug-style cases, complete with wobbly knobs, suggest the prices will be a lot higher than the original Character series.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

As exciting as it is to have the Leeds back, my enthusiasm is dampened somewhat by the seemingly random distortions they're being paired with.

That and the dug-style cases, complete with wobbly knobs, suggest the prices will be a lot higher than the original Character series.

279 USD, so probably about that in GBP too. Not great, not terrible. The distortion pairings all seem fairly obvious to me though - SRV, Gilmour, Hendrix, and Brian May respectively. 

I already use the VT as my main sound and a Leeds as the drive, so having a second DI out to run a dirty channel parallel to my VT seems to be worth the entrance price to me! The fuzz is just a free slot at this point. Shame there's no Dry Out option so I can run wet/dry delays into the clean VT, but I think I can work round that. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I liked the first bass sound better, second a bit full on for me though I can see/hear where that would fit nicely in a mix

Absolutely. The Leeds drive flavour is beautiful, even when pushed hard.

I find the VT bass very harsh and clanky in comparison, although it can be very sweet at lower gain settings.