Why become a member? ×

What do you think of this bass?

KASH

Hmmm... One of my pupils has a Westfield pointy nightmare a bit like that. Again, it was very cheap & thankfully plays rather well. Sounds good too.

Downsides to this sort of price range are that you get cheap hardware that's forever coming off or needing tightening up again. If you can, try before you buy.

Another small yet relevant thought with V's... You can't play them sitting down. They slide off your leg!

Sorry, a bit biassed in that I don't like Flying V's. But the spec looks sound - as long as 'solid alder' isn't 'solid laminated alder'. I agree with comments that others have made - check out the hardware and no-name PU's though. 14-days to make your mind up - if it feels good, just do it, £90 is SFA in the scheme of things. I was wrestling with buying a Ibanez SRX for £80 the other week - one of the best purchases I've made. Life's too short.

Well the price is great and it looks cool :) It won't be my main bass (Fender Jazz MIM)...the thing is, am I going to use it? If it plays bad or sounds bad, it's no use really. Anyone have experience with a flying V? A cheap one that is? Any advice on these?

OutToPlayJazz, is your student's bass decent [i]and[/i] cheap?

Well, it sounds okay apart from the bad earthing due to insufficient shielding & the aforementioned fixtures and fittings.

Yes, that's a very good question - Are you going to use it? I always ask that question when I look into buying a bass. Too often GAS takes over & we buy something we won't actually use. I've got to the point now where I sell off anything that isn't earning me money :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='461822' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:04 AM']Too often GAS takes over & we buy something we won't actually use.[/quote]

+1

...i want to buy a thunderbird (epiphone), but this one is half the price and looks cool...don't know if i should save money and get the epi or go with this just for the sake of having a flying V bass eheheh

[quote name='KASH' post='461894' date='Apr 14 2009, 11:05 AM']+1

...i want to buy a thunderbird (epiphone), but this one is half the price and looks cool...don't know if i should save money and get the epi or go with this just for the sake of having a flying V bass eheheh[/quote]

I nearly bought a headless transparent plexi Steinberger copy for about £150. I GASed for it because of looks. I am SO glad I held off. It would be worth naff all. Save up, get a decent instrument. Forget that V.

I actually like the more aggressive flying Vs (in guitar actually, like jacksons) IMHO.

Not being able to play it sitting down is a drawback and quite annoying....

Normally cheap instruments save on the expensive to fix stuff like earthing, electronics, tunners... etc so try before you buy.

In any case I think if you are considering a Thunderbird..... wow, I think it kicks the FV's behind :) anytime ....

keep your money and get the T-bird. Also Epiphone have proven to be reliable.

[quote name='silddx' post='461912' date='Apr 14 2009, 11:15 AM']I nearly bought a headless transparent plexi Steinberger copy for about £150. I GASed for it because of looks. I am SO glad I held off. It would be worth naff all. Save up, get a decent instrument. Forget that V.[/quote]