Why become a member? ×

Who on here is make a living out of gigging

Guest BassAdder27

Only for a very brief period of time ( three years) have I earned enough from gigging to make my living.

This was only achievable ( for me) because I was living in Tenerife at the time and had a lodger to help with the rent.

The five piece band I was in made very little money; by far the largest percentage of my income came from selling my soul to the Devil,ie:-

I was in two duos and a trio ,all of whom used backing tracks.

I had a great time though because I never was precious about such things. I have even been a Karaoke compare in the past!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

On 24/05/2022 at 23:46, gjones said:

Most of the pro musicians I know make a precarious living.

It's very precarious, which is why I only lasted 6 years the first time around. I managed 10 years the second time around, but now the pension is making things a little less precarious. We'll see where the energy prices take us!!

Not long after we bought our first house, in the 80's, when we were most financially stretched, the interest rate was in the high teens. Much later, the wife, who is the money expert in this house, told me that if it wasn't for the money I earned gigging, regularly 3 nights a week, we'd have gone under.

• Like 2

Back in my days of gigging, I earned petrol money & beer.  That was it.

On 24/05/2022 at 22:59, chris_b said:

IMO there's nothing better than getting paid to do something you love, and getting paid enough to live is the cherry on top.

This is true as long as you're enjoying doing what you love.

Me & the Mrs used to love making cakes as a hobby.  But as a business, it got to a point where it became unenjoyable and stressful, so we packed it in.

I dare say the same can go for gigging.  If you're playing in a band & have the same set of songs that you always play (especially if it's a function band ,where you might not like 1/2 the songs), then for some, that joy could disappear through the repetition.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chris_b said:

It's very precarious, which is why I only lasted 6 years the first time around. I managed 10 years the second time around, but now the pension is making things a little less precarious. We'll see where the energy prices take us!!

Not long after we bought our first house, in the 80's, when we were most financially stretched, the interest rate was in the high teens. Much later, the wife, who is the money expert in this house, told me that if it wasn't for the money I earned gigging, regularly 3 nights a week, we'd have gone under.

Same here Chris. When we first got married in the 80's I had a day job and also gigged 2 or 3 evenings every week. Without

that income it would have been much harder for us, and doing so meant my wife could look after my daughter at home for

the first five years before she started school. When I went pro my goal was to gig until I paid off the mortgage. Didn't see

me getting divorced though, so stuck with gigging to pay off the next one! ( Still playing as my only source of income, and

eventually paid off the 2nd mortgage ).

Things change in life all the time, and I've just rolled with the punches. I was never a big fan of the 9 to 5 / corporate thing,

and not a day goes by when I don't think how fortunate I've been in having a job which I still love.

• Like 4

Nope, i have always had a day job and if I had ever got to the point where I was getting enough gigs to do that and keep my bills paid. I think I would have enjoyed it but, apart from my regular band, I only get sporadic dep gigs or studio calls. 

That said, whilst on my day job I have managed to take time out to do quite a bit of touring with a couple of bands in Europe, USA/Canada, a Caribbean cruise and a festival in Singapore. However none of them paid me enough to cover what I was earning in my day job but I did them because I love gigging and getting to tour abroad was an opportunity not to be missed. 

• Like 2

Just now, Supernaut said:

My idea of hell is playing covers every day for the rest of my life. 

I'll take that gig or any* gig at the moment, TBH.

*Plainly hyperbole, I do have some red lines ;) 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 22:09, BassAdder27 said:

Any bass players on here making a living off gigging ? 

When I used to play, there was a solid couple of years when I was. But it was not solely from gigging, but with some studio work aswell. I decided to go back to having a part-time job for a bit of security. I was able to take the gigs that I was actually interested in this way, instead of any old nonsense just to get the pay 👍.

On 27/05/2022 at 11:34, Supernaut said:

My idea of hell is playing covers every day for the rest of my life. 

Once a song has been written, even if you composed it yourself, then every time you play the thing its a cover. Unless you're talented enough it compose or improvise a new set of tunes every single night then its unavoidable.

Just ask Ronnie Wood after hes Played Jumpin' Jack Flash live for the 80th time in 3 months...

• Like 2

Playing a song in front of an audience isn't about listening to the song, or even liking it. Who wrote it is even less important. It's about performance, keeping an audience interested and entertainment. Then it's about playing well as a bassist and playing well as a unit.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

I make a living playing bass , upright and electric, from big international concert halls with an attentive respectful audience playing challenging music to weddings banging out the usual covers with a drunk idiot shouting in my ear with a daft request and everything in between

been doing it 20 years now , it's not easy but I love it and have managed to support a family , I think being versatile and being in London have made it possible, I don't feel like having to do it has made me jaded or effected my enthusiasm for it, can still find positives in most musical situations, still learning, still checking out new music , still chasing that illusive dream tone through the classifieds on here! and don't know what else I could do now

• Like 3