Why become a member? ×

Are fuzz pedals useless for bass without a clean blend?

alexa3020

I’m currently using big muff pi on bass. I would say I’m fairly happy with the pedal but there is one major issue - the ability to blend in your clean tone.

Without clean tone the bass tends to get lost in the mix.

there is an option to add your dry signal. It comes in at the same volume as your original signal and you can match fuzz volume to it. This means the signal is too loud.

So I’m thinking of a new fuzz pedal. A lot of which don’t have blend controls & im wondering, if I had a better fuzz pedal would it matter so much if there wasn’t a clean blend? Or is a clean blend essential? I’ll be interested to know what you guys think

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Coloursound Bass Fuzz doesn't need a blend, it's got TONS of low end.

I've got an MXR Brown Acid which I think is based on the Coloursound and likewise - no bass loss, no need for clean blend. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I've got an MXR Brown Acid which I think is based on the Coloursound and likewise - no bass loss, no need for clean blend. 

That’s interesting - These are not overly expensive new, and I’ve seen a few priced well secondhand. Perhaps worth a look

I’d prefer a single pedal that does the job as I’m limited for space on my board - and I would prefer to keep using the nano+ if possible

A4082334-1321-4F06-844C-2BD085229076.thumb.jpeg.30acb2fa7839b5b36210115c17f91f0b.jpeg

Ps the compressor will be updated at some stage - so that may free up some room

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

I run my fuzz through the dirty loop of my Billy Sheehan deluxe pedal and mix in the clean tone. B8F9752F-1995-48FC-A86F-8B32C637A535.thumb.jpeg.24f5f83a2e2f966bd7dbe625352553bc.jpeg

I’ve heard good things about the billy Sheehan pedal. Even more attractive with the option to blend signals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

Honestly, I think too much importance is placed on a clean blend. None of my favourite overdrive or fuzz pedals have them, and those that do I usually have it turned way down. 

I do like the sound of the big muff without the dry signal in isolation.

I have found with that pedal though that it just gets lost in the live mix of a rock band.

it’s sort of similar to scooping your mids - sounds great in isolation, but doesn’t work in a live mix

• Like 2

It really depends what you're using and what you like. I have the JHS Crimson, which is basically an early 90s Russian Big Muff, and at some settings of the tone knob, it gets very thin and un-bassy. My Malekko B:Assmaster has a dry volume so sounds very full, but my Tru-Fi Super Fuzz has no dry blend and its still has really good low end response.

When I'm using a fuzz, I'm looking to cut through with mids and top end, so I'm not particularly bothered by having lots of lows, though its better when its not totally sucked out!

A good bass fuzz as with any good bass distortion or drive shouldn't need a clean blend. A properly designed bass pedal should  retain your low frequencies in the sound it puts out and allow you manipulate the output with eq controls.

Personally I think clean blends are a con I don't see that they actually let you retain low end in a meaningful way. I find them annoying especially on fuzz where the whole point is to have a highly clipped signal. If a clean blend also had a lpf/tone control on it then that would make so much more sense but most don't. Otherwise all your doing is mixing your signal and personally more often than not dirty and clean signals mixed without splitting the frequencies sound wack. My guess is because distortion is changing the frequency response of your sound so you're either gonna end up with a the distorted signal significantly louder in the mids or highs than the cleans or its gonna be quieter than the clean mids or highs.

• Like 1

I did some homework years ago and tested a variety of units. First of all, some work better with high impedance basses, and some with lo-Z basses. That's why I have separate boards for different bass types.

Clean blend is not my thing. X-over is (like IE Divaricator). With a X-over I can use effects in a different way than without. Low end is clean and makes the thump. High end can be pushed, even over ordinary limits when in need.

X-over is easy to use. The main thing is to find the cross-over frequency that suits the sound preferred. I have found 400 Hz functional, yours may be very different, or even changing. Try it, you'll like it.

If your favourite pedal doesn't have a blend then you just need a parallel mixer pedal to do the job. I use an EHX tri mixer, not just for overdrive but for other effects as well. Parallel mixing opens up a lot of possibilities. 

20220604_174713.jpg.f7c204954668d9062528e9a301819229.jpg

Another parallel pedal is the KMA which has a frequency crossover for splitting the signal.

20220604_174649.jpg.6600d80951076e6a6ed6e66b6bd22c31.jpg

6 hours ago, itu said:

https://ironether.com/pedals/divaricator/

This is far smaller than the KMA, practically equal in performance and features, but IN/OUT needs an insert cable.

Good suggestion and great pedal, as all Iron Ether pedals are, but... have you tried to buy one?! They're rocking horse sh*t it terms of trying to get hold of one. I'm on the email email waiting list for several of their pedals and it's a long wait! Plus not cheap... $250 plus import. EHX parallel = £100, in stock now.

IE is not the easiest to get. I have, or have had four units in total: FMeron, FrantaBit, Nimbus, Xerograph DeLuxe... and Oxide! Yes, five units.

During the covid I had to sell some of my equipment, and Franta, Oxide, and FMeron left the building. I was not happy, but kids eat so much...