Why become a member? ×

Gonna give the P Bass another go. Squire CV 60's P..

bubinga5

Some might know I owned a  Squire CV 70's in black a while back. Didn't really gel with it. For some reason it didn't have that round P Bass tone. I recently played a Squire 60's p bass from the early 80's and it was just fabulous, . Soooo, I thought I would give a P another go.They are cheap and get good reviews.   This time a 60's CV P I'm looking a.. Ive got a Bartolini P pup set if the pickups aren't up to scratch..  Seems they have the neck dimensions between a jazz and a P. Does anyone own one, are they much different to the 70's CV Squire..  if so what are your thoughts.? 

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Some might know I owned a  Squire CV 70's in black a while back. Didn't really gel with it. For some reason it didn't have that round P Bass tone. I recently played a Squire 60's p bass from the early 80's and it was just fabulous, . Soooo, I thought I would give a P another go.They are cheap and get good reviews.   This time a 60's CV P I'm looking a.. Seems they have the neck dimensions between a jazz and a P. Does anyone own one, if so what are your thoughts.? 

Unknown.jpeg

Don’t have the Squier myself but I normally hear a difference between maple and rosewood boards so hopefully it’d deliver the sound you want

• Like 1

I have one and would agree that the neck is probably between a jazz and a P. It definitely feels more slender than my US P but not as skinny as my jazz.

I can take some measurements later for comparison if you want?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I have one and would agree that the neck is probably between a jazz and a P. It definitely feels more slender than my US P but not as skinny as my jazz.

I can take some measurements later for comparison if you want?

That would be cool thank you. And some pics of your bass is a must im afraid.!😁

Here are the measurements (all in millimetres):

Squire CV 60S

Nut width 41

Heel width 63

Depth at 1st 21.5

Depth at 12th 23.5

US P Bass

Nut width 41.8

Heel width 63.5

Depth at 1st 21.5

Depth at 12th 24

MIJ Jazz

Nut width 38

Heel width 63.5

Depth at 1st 21.5

Depth at 12th 25.5

Although the difference in measurements between the Squire and US are relatively small, the US P Bass definitely feels chunkier (which I prefer). 

Here’s the Squire. 

F20158DD-FD32-48CB-8D5E-8699E450D9FD.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Here are the measurements (all in millimetres):

Squire CV 60S

Nut width 41

Heel width 63

Depth at 1st 21.5

Depth at 12th 23.5

US P Bass

Nut width 41.8

Heel width 63.5

Depth at 1st 21.5

Depth at 12th 24

MIJ Jazz

Nut width 38

Heel width 63.5

Depth at 1st 21.5

Depth at 12th 25.5

Although the difference in measurements between the Squire and US are relatively small, the US P Bass definitely feels chunkier (which I prefer). 

Here’s the Squire. 

F20158DD-FD32-48CB-8D5E-8699E450D9FD.jpeg

Ah brill. Thankyou for taking the time and the info. Lovely looking P Bass. Its a sunburst or the Sonic blue with matching headstock. Leaningtord the sunburst tbh. Anything lacking with the stock pickups.?

3 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Ah brill. Thankyou for taking the time and the info. Lovely looking P Bass. Its a sunburst or the Sonic blue with matching headstock. Leaningtord the sunburst tbh. Anything lacking with the stock pickups.?

I think the pickups sound fine. When I first got it I was pleasantly surprised how bright and punchy it sounded, although that was partly down to the strings being new. It’s difficult to compare directly with the other bass because it has older heavier strings so it does sound different.

I would say getting one of these is probably better than a bitsa because I put one together and it ended up costing more than the Squier. It could be upgraded later if necessary. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I haven't actually. Im never sure that a bitsa is going to be great or not tbh. I could be totally wrong.

if you think logically, pretty much all Fenders are bitsa’s!

That was their MO how you could pull respective bits out a bucket, bolt them together and away you go!

I would happily put my bitsa’s up against mostly any bass and it would not disappoint 

• Like 3

I’m relation you the cost comment - it’s not wrong, but with a decent shop around and some luck - you can do it very reasonably, even when I went higher end it was still less than a new mex fender - and at least as good if not better

I guess it depends on the source/quality of the bits, whether new or used etc. There are so many variables but half decent bits purchased individually are likely to be at a cost approaching the cost a ready built bass which has benefited from economies of scale. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Don’t have the Squier myself but I normally hear a difference between maple and rosewood boards so hopefully it’d deliver the sound you want

Same here with the maple/rosewood thing, rosewood being deeper and less mid-focused imo. 

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Same here with the maple/rosewood thing, rosewood being deeper and less mid-focused imo. 

The current CV range come with laurel boards, if I'm not mistaken. 

The one I had was very nice, regret selling it on now to be honest. It did everything a P should.

Edited by rasher80

I have the new Squire CV 70’s in black as my backup PBass 

Its a great sounding bass and quality isn’t bad either. 
Im about to upgrade my pickups to Dimarzio P so I’m hoping it will give me a little bit more grunt 

Edited by BassAdder27

One of my students has a CV 60's precision. It sounds really good and almost had me getting one for a bit of a project. I appreciate this doesn't help, but I needed up buying a slightly (and naturally) roadworn "law suit era" Tokai Hard Puncher instead. Ash body and, sat next to my "real" precision, there's not much between them. In some ways the Tokai from Japan is better made. That said, there is something special about my 76 precision, it just sounds big and deeper yet retains that top end and midrange clarity we want to hear from a good P.

Anyway, I like the CV 60's, my student's bass is a good example and plays really nicely. 

281775258_AllPhotos-1of1.thumb.jpeg.d113a07b9d8e02f1c22ad98f630b354f.jpeg

• Like 2