Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender USA 1975 AVRI

Jack_Stroud_Bass

New bass day!

This is a 1975 USA American Vintage Re-Issue, made in 1999. 

I don't really know too much about the specifications that they used to make basses to in 1975, all I know is that this one feels really, really good! It's got the classic bullet truss rod, three-bolt neck attachment, 70s pickup spacings, and finished in this lovely three tone sunburst with a rosewood neck and mother of pearl block inlays. 

The best bass I ever played was a mid-70s jazz bass, and this one (whilst not 100% there) gets really close to the magic of the vintage one I played. 

I bought it Sat, and immediately went and gigged it that night with the original band (The Achievers - R&B, Americana, Blues etc), and then last night with a function band at a wedding. Both excellent experiences! 

Decent weight, nearly 5KG, so good but not compared to the originals. It's strung with flatwounds too! I know - curious for a jazz...

I got this from Will at Bass Bros on Saturday, and the service I received there was excellent - can't recommend them enough. 

Pics below. Cheers for looking :) 

20220523_180052.jpg

20220523_180127.jpg

Jack Thomas - AVRI.jpeg

• Like 12

11 hours ago, MungoBass said:

Very nice indeed.  I usually associate 75 Jazz Bass RIs as being natural with maple and black blocks, nice to see such a good looking variation.  I have a Jazz with TI flats.....works for me!

Yes, me too. When I arranged the appointment with Will @ BassBros, I had full intentions of trying and buying one of the two natural 75 RIs he had in stock. There was a '03 and a '06 from memory, both maple and black blocks. When I arrived, this was there too. I tried it third after the two naturals and lo-and-behold this one was the one for me! 

The flats work excellently for the music I play - blues, americana. What's more, the limitations imposed by the covers... Once you get used to them, they're not so bad to play around. I find my right hand in one of two positions- either between the bridge and neck cover, or thumb on the thumb rest at the neck position. It kinda forces you to play in a certain way. I'm enjoying the challenge! 

Edited by Jack_Stroud_Bass
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Interesting reading Jack, curious as to why you chose this one over the two naturals - aside from its looks of course. Was it playability or sound that swung it?

Well, it was hard to compare sound as the two naturals had roundwounds, and the sunburst had flats.

I very much went with my gut feeling and didn't try and over-think it too much. As soon as I saw it, I preferred the look. Once I sat down to play it, it felt more comfortable and I was able to express myself a little better on it, like I wasn't fighting it. 

Don't get me wrong, the others were fantastic instruments, but the sunburst just had something the others didn't. 

• Like 1