Why become a member? ×

Roland GR77 ... the Odd Bass!

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

To give yourself an idea of what it will feel like, get a delay pedal and set it to 40-45ms delay with no feedback and with the direct signal turned off so you're only hearing the echo. Then try and play along with something...

Not really that much of an issue if you are using slow attack sounds, or have a dry signal too. Obviously if you wanted to use synth lead sounds on the lowest strings with no bass content, it would be a lot trickier (although you can then just play ahead of the beat)

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

There will be quite a bit of latency. The GM70 is only one generation ahead of the pitch detection system that was designed to go with the bass we're discussing in this thread, so it's still relatively primitive. The very best systems (which unfortunately does not include your GM70) require at least one and half cycles of the fundamental to detect the correct pitch which for low E on a bass is a minimum of 37ms, and approximately twice the delay of a typical slap-back echo. And that's before you factor in the the additional latency generated by the MIDI conversion and processing, since the GM70 has no built-in sounds of its own.

To give yourself an idea of what it will feel like, get a delay pedal and set it to 40-45ms delay with no feedback and with the direct signal turned off so you're only hearing the echo. Then try and play along with something...

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Not really that much of an issue if you are using slow attack sounds, or have a dry signal too. Obviously if you wanted to use synth lead sounds on the lowest strings with no bass content, it would be a lot trickier (although you can then just play ahead of the beat)

Yep - I'm thinking it's for effects & swell, rather than staccato on the beat stuff.

That why what we want from guitar synths is different.

For me effects and swell are far better and more easily triggered from a proper keyboard. I'd want to use a guitar or bass to play lead and sequencer-style parts - the sorts of things that are less easy to do from a synth keyboard. Unfortunately the laws of physics for this are against me.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That why what we want from guitar synths is different.

For me effects and swell are far better and more easily triggered from a proper keyboard. I'd want to use a guitar or bass to play lead and sequencer-style parts - the sorts of things that are less easy to do from a synth keyboard. Unfortunately the laws of physics for this are against me.

Yep - it's probably an exercise in futility, since I have MIDI bass pedals, synths, synth fx pedals and whatever else anyway!

I guess that playing the fills & stuff on the bass means playing the bass on the pedals...

Who knows when (or if) I'll put it into action anyway.