Why become a member? ×

Does your band play your kind of music ?

dmccombe7

Not sure if this question has been asked before but thought i would ask anyways. Apologies if its a repeat.

How many of you play in bands that play your favourite style of music. ?

For me my fav music is Prog and classic rock but i play in a 70's Glam Rock covers band and a 70's Punk Rock covers band.

Glam rock was the music i first started buying in 70's like Bowie and Sweet etc so its great to be playing it but i was never really a fan of punk altho i do like a lot of the songs now. I love playing in both bands.

Dave

• Like 1

The band I’m in and most of my past bands play rock, heavy rock and punk etc. 

That is mostly my favourite kind of music but I do / did like soul music as well in my younger lady chasing days 

My current and probably last band now plays most of my favourite songs / covers …. I really enjoy the set and find playing live with songs you really like the best outcome of all 

I like all genres of music but my favorite is soul, by the likes of Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and Isaac Hayes.

I play in a covers band, a rock band, a blues band and a country band but no soul band.

There's a lack of soul bands in my area unfortunately, which aren't dodgy wedding bands (I hate playing weddings).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gjones said:

I like all genres of music but my favorite is soul, by the likes of Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and Isaac Hayes.

I play in a covers band, a rock band, a blues band and a country band but no soul band.

There's a lack of soul bands in my area unfortunately, which aren't dodgy wedding bands (I hate playing weddings).

Our Glam Rock covers band has been asked a couple of times if we could play a soul song. We are always clearly advertised as 70's Glam Rock covers band and usually all ticketed so i just dont get that kind of question. Our agent highlighted that fact to a guy at our last gig in Prestonpans Legion. I do find that quite funny but it does highlight there is a desire out there to heare soul music. I'd probably quite enjoy a band playing it too.

Dave

After 15 years of playing wedding cheese I started a band with a great bunch of guys to play all my favourite music from my youth etc. We do about 1 gig a month but it is the most cathartic experience every time. Wish I had done it 10 years ago!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, acidbass said:

After 15 years of playing wedding cheese I started a band with a great bunch of guys to play all my favourite music from my youth etc. We do about 1 gig a month but it is the most cathartic experience every time. Wish I had done it 10 years ago!

What is your kind of music out of curiosity ?

Dave

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You could start a new trend.

What you waiting for. ?

Dave :laugh1:

I've yet to meet up with enough like-minded trombonists. Substitute keys just don't cut the mustard, I'm afraid. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Until moving north in 2020, I played in an ‘80s covers band, so that would be a big yes in answer to the OP. I also played in a Tom Petty tribute, I like his output very much, but it’s not a really a great gig for a bass player, or at least it wasn’t for me. 

• Like 1

I started out in a band doing our own stuff (spacey/proggy/rocky) and even with the clarity of hindsight, 30 years on there are a few songs that I still think are quite good.

I joined an existing covers band and really liked only about 25% of the set. Most of the rest was ok and there a few songs that we had to play, usually at functions. I spent some time in a duo (me and the singer/guitarist from the band) and I struggle to remember any songs from that set list that I actually liked. A particular low point was the song 'Alice' with the modern audience response to the chorus which I won't repeat here. But having experienced that response several times a week from club audiences I was close to calling it a day. It paid for the bass/amp/effects/bass/bass/bass though.

I went through many changes in direction with the covers band, including a side project with the same line up playing Eagles songs (during which we were often asked to play non-Eagles songs from people who hadn't seen the posters). With one or two exceptions, I'm not the biggest Eagles fan and the project folded when, during a relaxed rehearsal, it turned out that none of the others were Eagles fans either and we'd only agreed to do it to break the monotony of the 'usual' set list. 😀

The band I'm in now (recently formed and yet to gig) is putting together a set list that we're all pretty happy with. A second band I'm involved with plays a huge range of genres from folk to country, funk, soul, rock and a little prog (I may have had an influence there) and I love playing those songs despite not being a huge fan of country, funk or soul. The band is so laid back and fun to play with that the actual song takes a secondary role to the playing of the song, if that makes sense?

• Like 1

Originals band - for the most part, sure, I'm partially responsible for its output. Of course, I'm not even sure I like some of the stuff I wrote sometimes :D

Covers band - again for the most part it's agreeable rock covers for me, but there are one or two songs I play because the audience like them, not me

• Like 1

I'm happy to say yes!

We do mostly covers (Arranged for Uke) and mix in some close harmony singing.  From time to time we'll rewrite some/most of the lyrics 

and/or mash two or three favourites together.

As we mostly discuss/vote as a group we play what we (and sometimes the audience) enjoy :)

Yeah. We're not a pro band, we're local gigs, so we all choose songs we like and want to play, as long as they're known and vaguely danceable. Everyone has the power of veto so if someone really doesn't like we don't play it. Can't say the 4 chord root note pop songs are exciting to play but i like the songs and it means you can look at the audience rather than the fretboard. 

• Like 1

Definitely, every band I have ever played in has been my type of music.

I’m a weekend warrior and just play as a hobby, I would have zero interest in joining a band that played music I didn’t like.

I totally understand musicians who rely on gigging for a living doing it, as they need the money coming in.

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

My kind of music..? Schubert etc, but not much call for drummers playing that repertoire in pubs'n'clubs. :|

Not all is lost...Hook up with a Pianist. Then, the difficult part... find some Orange drum sticks and an Orange nose, then off you go.

:D

• Thanks 1

Thinking about my current gigs:

Bowie tribute - hell yeah, I’ve loved the music since 1974

Country covers - yep, I love country

Rock’n’roll covers - not my favourite but quite fun

Various other general covers bands - mostly stuff I like

I also find that I grow to like music that I’ve learned for bands.

Yes, totally and absolutely.  I grew up listening to blues rock from the 60s/70s, it is almost part of my DNA.  I've always wanted to play this sort of stuff but it was only since joining my current band have I found a guitarist who has the chops to carry it off.  

One down side is that it has kind of spoilt me for anything else.  One of the reasons I stood down from the Bon Jovi Tribute band I was in was that, post blues/rock trio, my heart wasn't in it any more.  Good as it was, I just wasn't getting that same connection.

41 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Not all is lost...Hook up with a Pianist. Then, the difficult part... find some Orange drum sticks and an Orange nose, then off you go.

:D

Well, I was thinking more Schubert's Ninth, but... whatever. Hmm... Food for thought. B|

• Like 1
  • Haha 1