Why become a member? ×

Would you lend out your #1 bass?

dclaassen

47 minutes ago, nilorius said:

What is PM ? Personal message?

47 minutes ago, nilorius said:

What is PM ? Personal message?

Prime Minister, I think, but then, I am American and often miss the nuances of your "language".....

5 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Prime Minister, I think, but then, I am American and often miss the nuances of your "language".....

It's alright as i said, at first wrong then right "personal message".

Edited by nilorius

On 21/05/2022 at 09:49, dclaassen said:

A work colleague who has an R & B band has a bassist coming over from Italy to play a bunch of Jubilee gigs. Apparently, he is not bringing a bass, and plays a 5. I was asked if he could borrow mine. I initially said it was okay, but then had second thoughts and agreed he could use my Specter, but not the Pedulla. I don’t know anything about the bassist, and would not be at any of the gigs. I would never show up without my own instrument and am wondering why this guy would…sounds a bit dodgy to me.

thoughts?

I hope all of these contributions have convinced you to withdraw your offer. Bleedin' cheek!

If you are uncomfortable loaning your bass out, don't do it. You have no obligation to some stranger.

To be fair, if I was travelling to another country to do a gig and not taking my own gear, I'd be scoping out places where I could rent a bass. However, gear is so personal, so I'd always be taking my own stuff. 

• Like 3

Flying with an instrument can be a drag. There's often no need to rent/hire. Last time I went to the US, I bought a used Squier - loads of them around - when I got there and sold it when I left. Got most of my money back - less a set of strings - when I did so.

• Like 2

On 21/05/2022 at 09:49, dclaassen said:

A work colleague who has an R & B band has a bassist coming over from Italy to play a bunch of Jubilee gigs. Apparently, he is not bringing a bass, and plays a 5. I was asked if he could borrow mine. I initially said it was okay, but then had second thoughts and agreed he could use my Specter, but not the Pedulla. I don’t know anything about the bassist, and would not be at any of the gigs. I would never show up without my own instrument and am wondering why this guy would…sounds a bit dodgy to me.

thoughts?

It would be A no from me! Perhaps if Mr Italian Bassist can afford an air fair,but not to bring his own bass (🤪😳) perhaps your work colleague can pay you to dep,And save money on air travel 😉

On 21/05/2022 at 21:11, Bunion said:

So this is lending it to a non entity,

what if a famous bass player put out a call for a bass in your local area and you happened to see it. 
let’s say Victor Wooten, flea (maybe not flea he’d smack the stinky poo out of it 😂🤣) or Paul turner?

There’s been loads of stories about people doing support, and main band has Norman Watt Roy on bass, who’s royally blown the support band bassist’s back line and walked off. But it’s alright, cause he’s a diamond bloke ain’t he ……..

I’ve lent basses to friends plenty of times. My friends daughter has had my Spector bass for about 2 years, she was desperate to learn and they couldn’t really afford to get her a bass. I keep toying with the idea of giving her my Sire V7 as a gift. I’ve also lent my Yamaha Attitude ltd to my wife’s cousin for a uk tour. In the OP’s situation though, I’m not so sure I’d be so charitable 

Not a chance. 

That said I did let a bloke at a gig ' have a go on' my bass. I'd got talking to him during our break. He'd been a semi-pro apparently and said how much he liked the Sire V7 I was playing. He had to give up playing because he had MS and could only play for very short periods.  So I let him play with the band for the first song of the second set. I shouldn't have really, he was far better than me.

Would I lend out my #1 bass?? No way.

Would I lend out my #2 bass?? No way.

Would I lend out my #3 bass?? No way.

You probably got the idea by now. I worked hard to be able to afford my basses, I spend time making sure they are set up just as a I want them - I have never had to ask if I can borrow a bass for a gig - so why should anyone else?

I lent out my Antoria semi acoustic bass, Selmer lead/bass 50 valve amp and 15" cab to a work colleague. Never saw them again. I saw him about 10 years later delivering something to another workplace I was at by then, he ran back to his van when he saw me, didnt you Alfie. 

• Sad 2

I lent one of my basses to the bassist from a band that were flying over from Belfast to play our festival in Somerset.

I'd met the band at a previous festival, so they weren't complete strangers but I wouldn't say that I knew them well. 

Anyway, they were traveling light, literally flying from Belfast to Bristol, drive to the festival, play their set and fly out first thing the next morning, and asked if they could borrow guitars and a bass for their gig.

I offered up my Musicman or my Italia - bassist chose the Italia, which was fine, I would have been happy for him to use the Musicman.

I wasn't there for the gig - I was managing the other stage, but I was close enough for him to personally hand my bass back to me, along with a pint, after his gig.

I doubt I would have offered my basses if I hadn't met the band previously or if they were playing a festival that I wasn't working/playing.

I have lent amps and cabs out to touring bands who are on our 'scene' that I've never met and not attending their gigs and it's always been fine.

That depends.

Someone I know well and trust not to be a Richard, then quite possibly, especially if I were at the gig, otherwise they might get the offer of the beaten up FPPR S1 (plays well, sounds great, looks like a piece of ****), otherwise it's unlikely.

I have offered gear loan to an Italian prog band, but though I don't know the bass player personally I would be at the gig(s), have seen them before and trust him not to go mad with it. That said it's only a rig that'll probably be require as all my basses are active and (bar the Wal) 5 strings, and he prefers a Jazz type 4. More inclined in this instance as they're travelling light (fly in, gig, fly out) and I'm pretty sure the logistics of bringing in instruments post Brexit would be the straw that broke the camel's back

Edited by WalMan