Why become a member? ×

Would you lend out your #1 bass?

dclaassen

13 hours ago, Bunion said:

So this is lending it to a non entity,

what if a famous bass player put out a call for a bass in your local area and you happened to see it. 
let’s say Victor Wooten, flea (maybe not flea he’d smack the stinky poo out of it 😂🤣) or Paul turner?

Still no. They could have my cheap backup but not my main bass.

13 hours ago, Bunion said:

So this is lending it to a non entity,

what if a famous bass player put out a call for a bass in your local area and you happened to see it. 
let’s say Victor Wooten, flea (maybe not flea he’d smack the stinky poo out of it 😂🤣) or Paul turner?

Not a hope in hell - these chancers are rich enough to send a roadie or tech out to buy them a bass. They can do one.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

Nah. But then no-one would want to borrow it, being a bitsa P that has it's own character. As for #2, again they certainly wouldn't want that! It's almost unplayable, unless it's in my hands, when it becomes marginally playable 😁

Both are like my actual childern, difficult, challenging and each special in their own way but I love 'em.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Not a hope in hell - these chancers are rich enough to send a roadie or tech out to buy them a bass. They can do one.

If that Wooten fella had the temerity to ask to ask to borrow my #1 bass I’d have to say “Oi Wooten, NO! - who do you think you are?” Celebrities? Scum🤬

😉

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have lent out my number one P bass but only to my brother in law who is an excellent musician and I know he would look after it. Trouble is I re stringed  it just before he asked and when I got it back the strings were dead.

A while back I was taking guitar lessons from a guy and he said he was going on tour with a well known band. I offered him a shot of my Geddy Lee J bass. He took it on tour and when he returned it to me, not only were the strings dead, he never even gave me as much as one free lesson.

I have decided no more lending out.

Edited by ubit

That's a no from me too.

Why did the guy even take the gig with no intention of bringing his own bass, or making arrangements for a hire with his agent/promoter ?

image.png.8f4168df916cef70a0eb3a107b9f44d3.png

Not a very professional attitude, eh ?

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 09:49, dclaassen said:

A work colleague who has an R & B band has a bassist coming over from Italy to play a bunch of Jubilee gigs. Apparently, he is not bringing a bass, and plays a 5. I was asked if he could borrow mine. I initially said it was okay, but then had second thoughts and agreed he could use my Specter, but not the Pedulla. I don’t know anything about the bassist, and would not be at any of the gigs. I would never show up without my own instrument and am wondering why this guy would…sounds a bit dodgy to me.

thoughts?

With the information given? A hard no. Nope. Just no. Ain't gonna happen. Dream on. Etc... ;)

I could be persuaded to let them borrow a bass, but it won't be my #1. It would depend on my relationship to that work colleague. If it's just a colleague then I'd be of the mind to let them figure out themselves: hire a bass if you don't want to travel with yours. If it's a friend who happens to be a colleague and as such I trust him, then I'm much more likely to help. But again, it won't be my #1... nothing to do with its value (mine is not that expensive, just a standard Stingray from 2002), but it's the bass I feel at home with the most, had the neck refinished to my liking and that bass stays with me.

But I agree... I don't understand why he doesn't bring a bass. I wouldn't. But that's somebody else's problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not sure that many would ask often to borrow my n° 1 bass...

glnQDr4.jpg

I would absolutely would not ask You to lend this superb instrument, but what i would try is - ask You to try it out for 20 minutes!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

I would absolutely would not ask You to lend this superb instrument, but what i would try is - ask You to try it out for 20 minutes!

You're entirely welcome, but I can't deliver. Collection only (but I make a pretty decent cuppa...). :friends: 

On 21/05/2022 at 13:44, dclaassen said:

I’m really grateful for these responses. I consider this bass to be practically irreplaceable because I would never spend what the replacement would cost, even if it did play as well. I’ve got a Peavey 5 coming in soon that is nothing special. think I’ll offer that.

My question to your colleague (were I in your position) is why has his friend taken these gigs if he isn't going to fly with his bass? My father in law owns an electrical installation company and he wouldn't dream of turning up on a job without his tools, so why do musicians feel they can turn up with no gear? I can understand needing to borrow/hire a rig if you're in another country, but a bass can be flown easily enough (I would get another seat on the plane if I were flying anywhere in Europe via budget airline). If he doesn't want to, then that's his choice and he should be looking into hiring one.

As for lending gear....I've seen what happens when people lend gear in good faith to people they don't know. Hard no from me, for my rig or any of my basses.

Edited by funkypenguin
  • Like 4

I am more than happy to lend any kit to a friend, without question. I wouldn't lend my favourite gear to someone I didn't know. I'd lend a cheaper bass to a friend of a friend but no more. 

There are companies that hire out kit or failing that, flying with a bass isn't impossible. I took one out to Ibiza earlier this month with minimal fuss / costs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I am more than happy to lend any kit to a friend, without question. I wouldn't lend my favourite gear to someone I didn't know. I'd lend a cheaper bass to a friend of a friend but no more. 

There are companies that hire out kit or failing that, flying with a bass isn't impossible. I took one out to Ibiza earlier this month with minimal fuss / costs.

Yup...I flew with mine to Germany and back..no bother at all...

• Like 1

No problem in principal with lending gear. I like to help a fellow musician and may need help at some point myself.

In practice maybe not something with high financial or sentimental value, and maybe not if the reason for needing the loan is a bit flimsy.

Understand that some folk here have been burned in the past though.