Why become a member? ×

Would you lend out your #1 bass?

dclaassen

I'd lend a bass to my brother because I know he'd look after it. Anyone else, nope, no matter how long we've been friends. I don't want my stuff getting damaged and if something did happen, it would just be an awkward situation to sort out and an annoyance I'd rather had not happened in the first place.

If it was some random bloke coming from Italy, no chance. I wouldn't even lend my cheapest bass in such circumstances.

I’m really grateful for these responses. I consider this bass to be practically irreplaceable because I would never spend what the replacement would cost, even if it did play as well. I’ve got a Peavey 5 coming in soon that is nothing special. think I’ll offer that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dclaassen said:

A work colleague who has an R & B band has a bassist coming over from Italy to play a bunch of Jubilee gigs. Apparently, he is not bringing a bass, and plays a 5. I was asked if he could borrow mine. I initially said it was okay, but then had second thoughts and agreed he could use my Specter, but not the Pedulla. I don’t know anything about the bassist, and would not be at any of the gigs. I would never show up without my own instrument and am wondering why this guy would…sounds a bit dodgy to me.

thoughts?

Not a snowballs chance in hell. The work colleague would also receive a barbed retort at the mere suggestion of it.

What makes this guy so good he flies in from Spain for a few gigs?

• Like 1

Why not explain your feelings on lending out a bass you love, worth a few thousand pounds, your friend has a band he will understand the costs and sentimentality involved with musicians and certain possessions.

Suggest he hires something for the guy flying in. 
There are a plethora of places around the country that provide this service.

better still offer to Dep and play that gig yourself 😄 

• Like 3

We lent our 5-string Cort to Rodney Curtis (Maceo Parker bassist...) for our 3 Elephants festival, as his Lakland had a dead pre-amp. He changed the strings and played a splendid set with it (it sounded great through the Ampeg backline...). He signed the back (now worn off...), and was very happy with the way it played. At the time, that was our n° 1 bass. Happy daze. B| 

Edited by Dad3353

So this is lending it to a non entity,

what if a famous bass player put out a call for a bass in your local area and you happened to see it. 
let’s say Victor Wooten, flea (maybe not flea he’d smack the stinky poo out of it 😂🤣) or Paul turner?

Edited by Bunion

A very close friend of mines band had their rehearsal room emptied the night before a gig.

he was a guitarist and had “spares” - his bassist had an Epiphone EB-3 and that had gone.

i turned up to work the next day and lent him my Rickenbacker 4003.

it was brand new.

the lad, Jim (who I only knew a bit) cried when he realised what I was offering.

he did the gig (big hands, Manchester) and bought me my drinks that night.

i would…if there was a link. And if I were present.

otherwise. Nope.

• Like 1