Why become a member? ×

Would you lend out your #1 bass?

dclaassen

A work colleague who has an R & B band has a bassist coming over from Italy to play a bunch of Jubilee gigs. Apparently, he is not bringing a bass, and plays a 5. I was asked if he could borrow mine. I initially said it was okay, but then had second thoughts and agreed he could use my Specter, but not the Pedulla. I don’t know anything about the bassist, and would not be at any of the gigs. I would never show up without my own instrument and am wondering why this guy would…sounds a bit dodgy to me.

thoughts?

• Like 4

I could imagine not wanting to bring back line equipment but as a musician why would you not bring your main instrument, particularly when it’s relatively easy to transport?

On the other hand, would you feel comfortable playing a bunch of gigs on an unfamiliar instrument?

Sounds dodgy to me.

• Like 2

I once did a gig with an Australian band and the bass player asked to borrow my Musicman Stingray. They were headlining and was told if I didn’t the gig wouldn’t go ahead.

After the gig my bass somehow ended up in his dressing room covered in coats. A heated discussion later and I extricated the bass!

I can understand not wanting to fly with the bass. If it were me, I’d order a HB 5 string from Thomson and have it delivered to the venue…

• Like 4

A very good friend yes and not being present.

Probably to a friend of a friend or a newbie if I was present at the time.

Unknown person - depending how charitable I am feeling they may get my worst bass at best.

take his passport as insurance!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve got a couple of mint ones that I wouldn’t lend out, but i leant my precision to a good friend who had a short notice night to play in Southend, it sounded amazing in his hands and it was good to hear someone else playing it 

• Like 2

Could be a lovely guy on a really tight budget.  However, alarm bells all over the place here and as uncharitable as this sounds, I'm with mr4stringz above and absolutely not.  What happens if there's any damage?  I treat my own gear very carefully and other people's even more so, though I'm aware that not everybody is the same.  If it was a cheap beater bass, then maybe, but not an expensive instrument.  To be honest, I'm a little surprised you've been asked.

• Like 2

I have, both to a mate for a recording session that I wasn’t go to be at, and to a headliner who sadly knackered his bass in at the gig, it fell over with the lead plugged in and damaged the jack socket.

In the circumstances of the OP the answer would be no, don’t know the guy, don’t know the facilities at the gig, don’t know the other bands, too many variables where damage/theft could take place.

• Like 1

No one touches my basses. I've seen what happened to other, more generous guys.

I've been in a house band for a Jam night for the last 20 years and I provide the back line. Some people didn't treat my gear very well in the early days so I keep a tight rein on what they can do. Sadly some people can't be trusted, even friends!

• Like 1

Possibly, but it would depend on how well I knew the person who wanted to borrow it. 

For instance, I've lent my 5 string to our drummer for some recording he did and the guitarist/singer has my Vintage (brand) precision on long loan as he's been asked to do some bass lessons at the school he teaches in. I also have a Sue Ryder precision that I've lent out in the past.

I'd lend some people my Warwick, but only if I knew them, but in the OP's situation, it's doubtful I'd lend it, but I'd offer one of the others.

Nah, no way anyone would be borrowing anything of mine. I'd probably offer to check, restring and set up a cheap bass for the visiting player to use, provided the colleague had bought rather than borrowed the bass in question and they paid for the new strings. That way they'd know it was in good order for their run of gigs and could either sell it on afterwards to recoup some cash or store it for future visits. Or they could just hire one.

depends. 

There's some people on here that the answer would be yes too. 
There's some pro working bass players the answer would be yes too, on the basis that they were big grown up people wanting to borrow a professional tool. Ideally I would be interested in the music and get on the guest list as a thank you. 
My mates mate who's got someone coming over and needs an instrument, when I don't know them, the music or the level of professionalism ... probably not 

I've been asked to lend my most rubbish bass, to a friend of friend, and I said nope.

If I knew the person and was confident they'd look after my bass, I'd probably say yes.

But I wouldn't lend an expensive bass, like a yours, to somebody I had never met.