Why become a member? ×

What's your "signature bass"?

Nobody

18 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

A custom made 6 string, 30" scale, Bass VI type bass, with a 47mm graphite nut, a slim modern C profile, bolt on, 5 piece laminated Jatoba/Maple (just 2 relatively narrow layers of maple in between 3 wider layers of Jatoba) neck (or perhaps just a 2 piece Jatoba, the second piece being the tilted headstock joint), with graphite rods enforcement and a double action trussrod, a tilted 3+3, classic B.C Rich inspired, headstock, but overall slightly more narrow, and with the "devil horns" slightly shifted, so that the upper slightly larger "horn" is sitting a bit more forward than the slightly smaller and slightly retracted lower "horn", and a 24 medium jumbo stainless steel frets, 14" radius, figured Ebony, fretboard, with an ESP LTD F-204/F-1004 style inspired Mahogany body with a spalted maple top, in a transparent matte black burst finish, and equipped with a single middle position dual blade/rail mini humbucker in a dark blood red transparent plexi/poly glass cover, with a gold plated series/parallel switch, and an active LPF and HPF tone filter control, equipped with knobs made of solid transparent dark green plexi/poly glass encapsulated in hollow gold plated cylinders with a thin spiraling gold rib going upwards around them, the bridge being 6 gold plated steel mono rail pieces (or perhaps a wammy/tremolobridge).

Equipped with custom roundwound stanless steel hex core strings gauge .080 - .060 - .045 - .034 - .026 - .020, tuned G1 - C2 - F2 - A#2 - D3 - G3, as in G standard tuning, 3 half steps above E standard tuning.

So you've not really given the idea of a signature bass much thought, then? 

• Haha 4

On 21/05/2022 at 10:19, javi_bassist said:

I'm also thinking about "creating" my dream bass with different parts. I think it would be:

-Yamaha BB735. I'd change the finish to creme white with a tort pickguard (not very original, but classy IMO :P)

-Humbucker pickup instead of J in the bridge. 

-Passive/active electronics. With a switch to use the bridge pickup as single or hambucker. 

-Markbass preamp

-Delano pickups.  

Sandberg could make you something fairly similar...although not sure that the switching option on the humbucker is part of the std spec.

image.thumb.png.7bdb1e6663980d0d9d5a9a22ebb2c6a7.png

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ead said:

Sandberg could make you something fairly similar...although not sure that the switching option on the humbucker is part of the std spec.

image.thumb.png.7bdb1e6663980d0d9d5a9a22ebb2c6a7.png

Yep, I have had Sandberg under my radar for some time. However, I must say that the neck of my Yamaha feels so so good, that I haven't felt that way with any other bass. And the Sandberg doesn't have the strings trough body option (if I remember correctly) and that is a must for me.

6 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

Yep, I have had Sandberg under my radar for some time. However, I must say that the neck of my Yamaha feels so so good, that I haven't felt that way with any other bass. And the Sandberg doesn't have the strings trough body option (if I remember correctly) and that is a must for me.

Good point ref through body.  Sandberg necks for me are absolutely the best out there outside of my custom ACG basses.

• Like 1

I guess if I hit the big time I'd be happy with a Spector. Probably with the curved NS body in quilted or flamed maple with EMG single coils. Basically what Yoshihiro Naruse was playing in the 80's. 

I love signature basses and I'll defend them to the hilt, particularly when the model you can buy is the one that the artist actually uses. However, over recent years I have noticed a slew of no-name bassists claiming their own signature model just because they've paid for a custom build to their specs. It's a bit cringeworthy IMO. Ultimately that's just a custom build. 

You can get a bass built to your specs and call it your signature bass but unless you have the profile to warrant a sig you're just cosplaying at having a signature bass, sort of like buying a privateer entry into a race series and being crap rather than getting a factory seat. If the manufacturer doesn't propose the deal to you, it's probably not the real deal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1