Why become a member? ×

What's your "signature bass"?

Nobody

If you had a signature bass, what would it be?
I've always wanted a candy red P bass with a rosewood board, a jazz width nut and a white pickguard. I finally got one put together from parts. It's got a Precision Special neck and tuners, Nate Mendel body(not his actual body..... it's a bass body... anyway.....), Fender or Squier bridge(not sure where it originally came from) and a Dimarzio Model P. This comes very close to "my signature bass" if I was a somebody instead of Nobody.

IMG_20220520_155240638.jpg

• Like 6

Considering I own 3 of these and have sold everything else off, I'd say it's the old Tobias Toby Pro basses! 

Had my #1 (left) since my 18th birthday, done many gigs and upgrades on it and love it so much so that I bought another 4 string (right, converted to a fretless), a 5 string for use in my band and the acoustic (not pictured Toby Pro-4CE) to complete the family. 

I switch between which pickups I prefer but all 3 basses have Hipshot tuners, a Badass bridge & an EMG preamp

IMG_3530.thumb.jpeg.83920ee607f38505f5af9a86d3fc7060.jpeg

Edited by ForbiddenWytch
  • Like 6

I played a Kubicki X Factor throughout the 90s. Since then it has been mostly Fenders. I suppose my signature bass would be based on the Kubicki, but would be passive and have a more traditional body shape.

• Like 2

Given my recent infatuation with short scales, it would be some sort of Mustang, probably with 2 Nordy Big Splits, neck in the normal P position (not the Mustang position) and the bridge one in the MM position (up against the pickguard). Lightweight tuners with an Xtender on the E, 3 over 1 layout. Passive, stacked vol/blend, tone. Mute system with a Hipshot B style, through body bridge. Maple neck and board with pearloid blocks, 38-40mm nut. Finished in trans blue on an ash body, weighing in at 3.5kgs.

That or a Wilcock Mullarkey in white and tort, maple neck & board.

• Like 2

I'm also thinking about "creating" my dream bass with different parts. I think it would be:

-Yamaha BB735. I'd change the finish to creme white with a tort pickguard (not very original, but classy IMO :P)

-Humbucker pickup instead of J in the bridge. 

-Passive/active electronics. With a switch to use the bridge pickup as single or hambucker. 

-Markbass preamp

-Delano pickups.  

• Like 2

Headless 6 string neckthrough Ibanez SR, with QTuners and my preamp. Not sure what woods, but they'd be pretty and understated and chosen for appearance as I think the whole tonewood thing is a crock.

That's my thinking today anyway.

• Like 1

No prizes for guessing here. My 1990 MiJ 60s reissue jazz bass. Ive owned it since around '92 and used it for thousands of gigs. The only original part these days are the body and three of the tuners. The rest is a wonky hodgepodge mishmash of parts. For a time it had an East preamp, EMG pickups and Status graphite neck and an 'Animal' sticker. The original neck was sold on here when it was bassworld. 

These days it has an allparts neck, badass ii bridge from about 1993, a custom 'signature' split Humbucker in single-coil sized casing. (Its a Wizard 'GAFfer') in a cream casing. The bridge has a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder in there. These are all hooked up to some fancy pots with some fancy wire and squished into a brass shielding doo-dah thingy similar to the one that got pulled out decades ago when the EMGs went in. Since the 90s its also had a vintage style hipshot de-tuner that goes the opposite way to all the others!

The paint has been randomly splitting and chipping for years - add that to the gig wear and its looking pretty tired, but it sure has some stories to tell!

If things had gone differently, this would definitely be the one I'd be asking Fender to make a signature. I've owned over 300 basses now and this will always be the one that's the most 'me'. :)

C5258CD9-524B-471C-80A5-26CDD8CB3474.jpeg

8607F72A-1F58-427D-9EA8-67732EC12DE4_4_5005_c.jpeg

6A105AD6-CC40-4527-8E7A-EF04E27268C7.jpeg

19BAA92B-2079-461A-8554-0913994C1EDF.jpeg

E0E30694-781D-4622-9198-0AB7D32DC461.jpeg

77FEC1BA-9776-4577-8DB1-87B13393BA4C.jpeg

E7550E94-6CFE-4EF4-8A13-A971BAA6535E.jpeg

E2531FA2-E687-44F0-B68E-B3336715EE16.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 8

This, or something similar.  Black Precision (in this case my JV Squier), maple neck, BWB scratchplate, passive, pickup on the aggressive side of vintage.  8lbs.

JV01.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Nobody said:

If you had a signature bass, what would it be?

Slab body P-bass (don't care what hardwood is used) , 20 fret all maple neck. 250k pots , 0.1 cap.

2 saddle bridge and any tuners with a ratio above 20:1. For the pickup, an Alnico single coil with lowish wire count.

• Like 1

Mine would be the same as Mr Meldal-Johnson’s signature mustang in Daphne blue, but made to replicate how a 1966 bass would have come off the production line - ie the colour would be brighter and there would be no roadworn malarkey.

If that’s not allowed due to it being based on someone else’s signature bass, I’d get a Fender version of my Squier short scale jaguar bass in candy apple red with rolled fingerboard edges, Fender hi mass bridge, Fender yosemite PJ pickups with CTS/ switchcraft bits inc a greasebucket circuit and more substantial tuners.

• Like 2

I doubt very much that I will become notable enough for a signature bass. I don't stick to one particular bass long enough to ascertain what that signature might be. I already use a signature bass frequently (JC Sig).

That's an awfully long winded way of saying no, sorry!

68DF23F0-9698-4018-A107-53AD249B3222_1_105_c.jpeg.4668d4111976e3a7aa78aeb905f12ad3.jpeg

It's this one. Version II has already been planned, just waiting to have my body parts valued so I can get on with a build diary! 

Love that P bass @Nobody, I'd actually love to have one the same with a maple fingerboard, with a plain headstock. 

• Like 6

It would be my US Lakland 44-94 passive P/J. 

Shoreline Gold (incase that wasn't obvious), Rosewood board, 1.6" 'tweener' width at Nut (B-width for Fender-heads).

Yeah, just a wonderful bass with plenty of sounds, wonderful feeling neck.

Lakkie.jpg.3d962d494c2c73379126c9105c7ed9f3.jpg

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 5