Why become a member? ×

Time capsule Jazz Bass

philfromstoke

Just thought I should share my great fortune/ honour in becoming the only the second custodian of an unmarked 73 jazz bass.

Before I share the story, I know that the bass has the black scratch normally found from 74, but I've seen the original receipt from Carlsbro Sound in Mansfield clearly marked Sept 1973.

So the bass is 100% original down to the case, original paperwork, inspection tag, owners manual and spare set of flatwounds !

Having saved his hard earned cash for years, the original owner, John B sadly passed away suddenly and his wife couldn't bring herself to part with the her husband's pride and joy, which has been sat under the bed until now. His wife decided to pass the bass on to someone else and I was recently invited to the family home to hear the story for myself.

I have several photos of the John playing the bass in his band. I can't share them on here as they aren't mine to share but I can assure you the bass is visible clear as day, including John's initials on the lower horn, as was the trend in the 70's apparently and which are still on the bass now . . . . I promised I wouldn't remove them. Of course when I 1st saw the bass, apart from being floored by the stunning condition, I assumed JB stood for Jazz Bass!

So an incredible, virtually show room condition beautiful jazz bass, preserved in time.

IMG_4790.jpeg

IMG_4764.jpeg

IMG_4768.jpeg

IMG_4769.jpeg

IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4792.jpeg

IMG_4791.jpeg

IMG_4788.jpeg

• Like 44

Funnily enough, back in the late 1980s I bought a brand new  condition sunburst/maple 1978 Jazz Bass from Carlsboro in Mansfield that looked pretty much identical to this one. I remember it was in absolutely mint condition, like it had never been played.

Appreciate the kind comments . . . .  thanks all.

I'm a strong believer that we bass players are borne to be bass players and so I'm sure that John will be looking down on us pleased to have left a little legacy behind to be enjoyed by us!

Just as an aside I was lucky enough to catch Jeff Beck play in Sheffield on Sunday night.

Joined by the amazing talent of Rhonda Smith on bass, Anika Niles on the kit . . . . wow  . . . mind blowing 

and a mad guest appearance on guitar and Vox by Johnny Depp ! Just when I thought I'd seen it all !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philfromstoke said:

Appreciate the kind comments . . . .  thanks all.

I'm a strong believer that we bass players are borne to be bass players and so I'm sure that John will be looking down on us pleased to have left a little legacy behind to be enjoyed by us!

Just as an aside I was lucky enough to catch Jeff Beck play in Sheffield on Sunday night.

Joined by the amazing talent of Rhonda Smith on bass, Anika Niles on the kit . . . . wow  . . . mind blowing 

and a mad guest appearance on guitar and Vox by Johnny Depp ! Just when I thought I'd seen it all !

It's been about 10 years since I saw Jeff Beck. I took along my wife, who didn't really know what to expect, and she sat there with her mouth open for most of the gig. She said it was the best gig she'd ever been to.

I'm going to check out the rhythm section above right now, cheers.

Rob

• Like 1