Why become a member? ×

Peavey 410TX owners...wiring help please

umcoo

Hi folks,

I picked up an old 90's Peavey 410TX.  It's the 8 ohm version, 350 watts.  The speakers are currently all unhooked and I'm struggling to find a wiring diagram, or even a similar diagram which I could use.

Are there any owners out there who fancy taking the back panel off and taking a few pictures for me, so I can get it up and running again.  I'm a little clueless on things like this.

Thanks all.

I'll guess there are four 8 ohm speakers and a tweeter. There are plenty of wiring diagrams for connecting the four 10 inch speakers to give you an 8 ohm cab. The tweeter connections seem to be a little less clear. I have found a scruffy diagram from Talkbass for the Peavey 410tvx cab but cannot confirm it's correct but it looks okay.

20220520_190019.jpg.332e5e8dc917189e0f941e8181b52005.jpg

20220520_185750.thumb.jpg.ca7b4b8fea866c562b7ca3625c3efac4.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Thanks 1

in the upper diagram I would also connect the two negative poles of the upper drivers. Instead of two 16Ω stacks in parallel have two 4Ω stacks connected in series. If one driver fails in the diagram as is then two drivers cease operation. Following my suggestion three drivers will still operate which might well get you through the gig.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

Once all connected up it would be a good idea to do the PP3 9v battery test to confirm all the speakers are in phase with each other before connecting to an amp.

How would I do that?  I tested each speaker by putting a PP3 on the terminals and they all moved so I'm hoping they're all good.  Would plugging in a speaker cable into the jack and using a PP3 on the end of the speaker cable make all 4 speakers move?

Thanks for your help!

9 minutes ago, umcoo said:

How would I do that?  I tested each speaker by putting a PP3 on the terminals and they all moved so I'm hoping they're all good.  Would plugging in a speaker cable into the jack and using a PP3 on the end of the speaker cable make all 4 speakers move?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, just plug the speaker cable into the cab jack socket, then put the other jack connector ( that you'd normally plug into the amp) across the terminals of the PP3. Put the tip on the positive PP3 terminal. All cones should then move out (or in) all the same. If some go in while others come out, they're out of phase and the cab will sound gutless.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

The great thing about testing with a PP3 is that you can't damage your amp and you shouldn't be able to damage the speakers. I wouldn't leave the battery across the speakers any longer than to check their direction of travel.  You can try the different wiring schemes risk free.

Edited by Sparky Mark

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

The great thing about testing with a PP3 is that you can't damage your amp...

I do not get how is the amp involved here? Here we are talking about speaker element testing, aren't we?

The 9 volt battery has so little energy that it cannot burn an element like we have here. Only move the cone.

Thanks to @Sparky Mark, I now have a cab up and running!  Thank you very much.  Hooked up the speakers, tested the ohms on the end of the speaker plug and was getting around 8 ohms, so that was the first good sign.  Next, the PP3 test had all speakers moving in the same direction.  Added the amp, and now it's making actual sound!

The first diagram you shared was more helpful for the 410TX.  I only had 4 hookup wires to play with, so perhaps the 410TVX has 5? (judging from the sketched schematic).

Regardless, thanks all for your help.  Recording next week, so glad it's sorted :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

I do not get how is the amp involved here? Here we are talking about speaker element testing, aren't we?

Yes, exactly. The amp isn't involved at all in the PP3 testing, so cannot be damaged. (I can see how you misinterpreted my point, but we are on the same page).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, umcoo said:

Thanks to @Sparky Mark, I now have a cab up and running!  Thank you very much.  Hooked up the speakers, tested the ohms on the end of the speaker plug and was getting around 8 ohms, so that was the first good sign.  Next, the PP3 test had all speakers moving in the same direction.  Added the amp, and now it's making actual sound!

The first diagram you shared was more helpful for the 410TX.  I only had 4 hookup wires to play with, so perhaps the 410TVX has 5? (judging from the sketched schematic).

Regardless, thanks all for your help.  Recording next week, so glad it's sorted :)

Great result. It's so satisfying when things like that go well isn't it? You fixed the speaker fault and got the cab back in action.

• Like 1