Why become a member? ×

Hawkwind. Chronicle of the black sword album 1985

I saw them in the  at the Edmonton Sundown in north London 1970 something. That place no longer exists, i believe,

Saw  them at Windsor free festival in '74, and again at Watchfield free festival in '75

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I saw them in the  at the Edmonton Sundown in north London 1970 something. That place no longer exists, i believe,

Saw  them at Windsor free festival in '74, and again at Watchfield free festival in '75

I was just a year or two too young to make it to Watchfield. I think that was also Here & Now's first proper gig.

Last time I saw Hawkwind was at the Roundhouse probably three years ago.

• Like 1

Just now, fleabag said:

I was quite young at the time too, and I saw Here and Now there. They were fabulous

Didnt the drummer have a name like Kif Kif Le Batter ?  :)

Yes! He was a bit crazy, but a good drummer. They came to stay with the people I lived with in Leeds after gigs there. 

I met up with what's left of the band (basically, just Keith the bass player and a bunch of people from other bands from the same era) at a festival my old band were headlining. I was instantly transported back to the mid 70s and a field near Stonehenge. I had hoped not to have to talk to Keith as he was a brilliant bass player and i was in awe of him 40 something years ago. Plan didn't work as he parked next to me! Said some very positive things about my bass playing, which was a relief! They all had interesting stage names back in the day, Steffe Sharpstrings, Keith the missile bass, and so on. Saw them at Stonehenge a few times, also Deeply Vale and some other festivals I can only dimly remember.

• Like 1

Me too

But i severely cut down my gig attendances as the years followed, though i still went to a couple a year, but nothing like the amount of gigs i went to in the 70's

Edited by fleabag

1 hour ago, Jason Karloff said:

Love anything to do with Michael Moorcock

Likewise. 

I'm fond of his description of himself as being "A poor writer with lots of good ideas"

(Runs off to listen to Black Blade, Veteran of the Psychic Wars and The Great Sun Jester...)

• Like 2

Big Hawkwind fan... And Chronicals was great live @ Hamersmith... but was the start of the end for me... No Nik Turner and a bit too Brock on K'bds... Best thing was Langton and Davey interplay...

Choose your Masks of 82, and the precerding real album was quite dark... and such a great Tour... More staid Bainbridge bass but Turners frontmanship.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Big Hawkwind fan... And Chronicals was great live @ Hamersmith... but was the start of the end for me... No Nik Turner and a bit too Brock on K'bds... Best thing was Langton and Davey interplay...

Choose your Masks of 82, and the precerding real album was quite dark... and such a great Tour... More staid Bainbridge bass but Turners frontmanship.

I was at the Hammersmith Chronicle show too. I'd seen them the previous year, same venue, when Lemmy guested. I took loads of 'great' photos, probably some of my best work 😀 - but my camera was stolen at the end of the night so we'll never know. I went on to see them several more times over the years. My first band was heavily influenced by them - synths, sound effects, spoken passages between songs. We covered Assault and Battery/Golden Void, Utopia and if we needed a filler, Silver Machine. 

• Like 2

I sound-engineered for Hawkwind once. I was on stage monitoring duties.

Completely crazy evening and had a long conversation with Dave Brock about rust in late ‘70’s Mercedes SL convertibles 😆

Huw Lloyd-Langton was lots of fun. He lived quite near me and we bumped into each other a few times in the town square. Always stopped for a chat but I’m absolutely certain he had no idea who I was!

• Like 2

I'm quite a Hawkwind fan and have read a few Michael Moorcock books. When Chronicles came out we were well into it. Some great songs and well produced . H L-L guitar was outstanding. At the time our band partly modelled ourselves on Hawkwind and Needle Gun and Moonglum were in our set, along with some other HW songs. Unfortunately we had a poor female singer at the time and after seeing a video of a gig we realised it wasn't working with her and we packed it in. The guitarist and I moved on with an original project.

I have fond memories of my late teens and early twenties listening to to Hawkwind and reading MM books. I live on Devon and Hawkwind were regularly playing some minor festival nearby, so got the chance to see them love indoors and our quite a few times. 

Edited by mep
  • Like 3

Used to see quite a bit of hawkwind including nick turner and Robert Calvert…for me their pinnacle was the levitation tour with ginger baker at the hammy odeon, and then it was sonic attack at the same venue with Michael moorcock , maybe next was at Glastonbury with Lemmy who also showed up at the crystal palace bowl, after that they seemed to go slowly downhill in budget, I did see the black sword tour at the Walthamstow assembly halls …maybe the last time was down in Truro, ….still amazed that Dave Brock was mates with Eric Clapton on the same busking circuit in the 60s.

Edited by Musicman666
  • Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 02:49, Musicman666 said:

….still amazed that Dave Brock was mates with Eric Clapton on the same busking circuit in the 60s.

There was a documentary on iPlayer a while back, about a Blues venue in London that was on an island in the Thames. The entry fee was a toll to cross the footbridge.

Apparently, Brock & Clapton were mates at school, and Clapton still owes Brock a guitar for one he ruined while they were kids when they decided to swim across to the island.

• Like 1

I know you'll all go 'uh, what?' but as a teen in the 70s this all passed me by... although I was aware of them as people in my class used to talk about them etc. In recent years, I've got to know people who've worked with them so I am more aware now than I was nearly 50 years ago... 

In the photo i  posted, i cant remember who the guy in the check shirt is

I can name the others.  Back row L to R  -   Nik Turner,  Dell Dettmar, ??,  Dave Brock, Lemmy

Kneeling - Dik Mik  ( Michael Davies )