Why become a member? ×

JPJ Build No. 2

JPJ

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='467545' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:29 PM'][quote name='JPJ' post='467513' date='Apr 20 2009, 03:05 PM']
Cheers, but as they say "[b]necessity is the mother of invention[/b]" :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm sure it was Frank Zappa......?
[/quote]

:)

[b]Episode III - More wood butchery[/b]

Today I started by hand sanding the edge of the body blank to remove any machining marks left by the router and the belt sander. Then I set about measuring the angle of the comfort chamfer on the old body

Then I cut the comfort chamfer onto the new body using a jack plane and an electric plane to finish

Next I set about making a template for the neck pocket and pickup routes. I used my smaller router for this as the offset between the guide and the bit is a lot smaller (3mm) and it just seems more appropriate for this kind of detailed work.

Then, using the measure twice cut once mantra again, I routed a spare piece of mdf to check the fit of the pickup and neck before cutting the real thing

Then, I set about the real thing (heart in mouth moment)

After a bit of tidying up with a file, the neck fitted neatly in the pocket (eat your heart out Fender :) ) and the pickup was a snug fit in the pickup route.

All in all, another successful day in the workshop. In addition to the above, I also bookmatched the maple cap ready to glue it on.

Next step will be to complete the routing for the control cavity, the battery box and then glue on the cap on.

[quote name='JPJ' post='472381' date='Apr 25 2009, 09:00 PM'][b]Episode III - More wood butchery[/b]

T

All in all, another successful day in the workshop. In addition to the above, I also bookmatched the maple cap ready to glue it on.

Next step will be to complete the routing for the control cavity, the battery box and then glue on the cap on.[/quote]

Why would anyone cover that lovely bit of wood?

[b]Episode IV[/b] A new hope :rolleyes:

Today, I made another template and routed out for the control cavity and the battery box. As these were routed from the rear side, I had to use double sided tape to hold the template in place, which is my least favourite method. However, the tape held and there were no expensive slips of the router to report.

Then I got me long drill bits out and drilled for the pickup, earth and battery wires.

Then, I roughed out the shape of the bass on the maple cap with a jigsaw and covered the top of the body in glue.

Then I positioned the top, clamped the maple top between a piece of bass shaped MDF, the maple top, the bass body and then another bass shaped piece of MDF to make a nice sandwich and then clamped the whole thing using bar clamps C clamps G clamps and quick grip clamps. In fact, every clamp I own big enough to clamp the sandwich.

Then I bent the maple cap over the front comfort contour using wooden wedges.

At one point, whilst tapping in the wedges there was an awful crack. I'm hoping it was the MDF delaminating (as can be seen in the photos) but it could be that the maple has cracked, I wont know for sure until tomorrow when the clamps come off :)

Next step will be to get the clamps off, trim the cap to the final body shape and then start the sanding process.

Edited by JPJ

Hopefully the wood is OK... quick question - how did you go about bending the maple? Presumably there was a little steaming action?! - or at least some sort of heat roller...? (ie you didn't bend the wood with just the wedges did you?

STILL one of my favourite threads!!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='478742' date='May 4 2009, 03:32 AM']Hopefully the wood is OK... quick question - how did you go about bending the maple? Presumably there was a little steaming action?! - or at least some sort of heat roller...? (ie you didn't bend the wood with just the wedges did you?

STILL one of my favourite threads!![/quote]

I opted to soak the top of the maple with boiling water, it was amazing how flexible the maple became, so I'm hoping the crack was the MDF not the maple!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='478976' date='May 4 2009, 01:23 PM']Nice one Kev! :D

Looking at the last couple of pics I am a bit concerned that you are preparing to tune the bass up already... :) :lol:[/quote]

Just checking the natural frequency :rolleyes:

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='479678' date='May 5 2009, 09:05 AM']Result! I'm so glad that maple top worked out for you!

(Still hoping I can persuade you to go Tiger Eye...)

Yes/No?![/quote]

That's very pretty but just a bit too pretty for my tastes :)

I've promised myself a black translucent finish and that's what it's going to be (especially as I've already bought the black grain filler and stain :rolleyes: )

[quote name='JPJ' post='479691' date='May 5 2009, 09:26 AM']That's very pretty but just a bit too pretty for my tastes :)

I've promised myself a black translucent finish and that's what it's going to be (especially as I've already bought the black grain filler and stain :rolleyes: )[/quote]

Good for you! Can't wait to see the staining process - I think its great when you are applying the stain and it's all wet - you get a real understanding for what the finishing thing is going to look like. Have you decided on clear coats yet? Polyester? Are you doing it? If so, what are you using?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='480121' date='May 5 2009, 05:21 PM']That colour may not be Kev's idea of heaven but I'd beat folks off with a big stick to get to a bass in that colour, gorgeous! :)[/quote]

You aren't wrong... it's gorgeous.... GAAAAWWWGEEEOUUUSSS!

[b]Episdode V[/b] - Return of the bass Jedi :rolleyes:

Today I started by trimming the maple back to the swamp ash and rounding over all the edges.

Then I sanded in the comfort 'belly' route on the back of the body

Then I routed the edge of the control cavity to recess the cover plate

Then I fitted the neck tight into the neck pocket

Then I did about four hours of sanding working down through the grades to DIY fine grade. To finish this episode, here's a gratuitous wet maple shot :)

Next will be about another four hours of sanding, before staining, sealing, grain filling and then finally lacquering.

[quote name='JPJ' post='484082' date='May 9 2009, 11:40 PM'][b]Episdode V[/b] - Return of the bass Jedi :rolleyes:

Today I started by trimming the maple back to the swamp ash and rounding over all the edges.

Then I sanded in the comfort 'belly' route on the back of the body

Then I routed the edge of the control cavity to recess the cover plate

Then I fitted the neck tight into the neck pocket

Then I did about four hours of sanding working down through the grades to DIY fine grade. To finish this episode, here's a gratuitous wet maple shot :)

Next will be about another four hours of sanding, before staining, sealing, grain filling and then finally lacquering.[/quote]

Nice, nice, nice. How did you go about rounding the edges? Take a router round it presumably? And how exactly did you sand the comfort "belly" - that looks to be a pretty good job... very smooth.

Good choice of battery box!

Just a thought - what are you doing about the back? Are you going to paint it, stain it, leave it natural?

Still the best build thread :lol:

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='484117' date='May 10 2009, 12:42 AM']Nice, nice, nice. How did you go about rounding the edges? Take a router round it presumably? And how exactly did you sand the comfort "belly" - that looks to be a pretty good job... very smooth.

Good choice of battery box!

Just a thought - what are you doing about the back? Are you going to paint it, stain it, leave it natural?

Still the best build thread :)[/quote]

Cheers for the support mate,

I rounded the edges over with a 1/2" round over bit in the router, and I used the belt sander for the comfort contour. The double battery box was necessity as I want to run the preamp at 18v. I'll be finishing the back and sides in black as well. I've dropped the idea of the faux binding as I fancy the whole 'non more black' look.

[quote name='JPJ' post='484124' date='May 10 2009, 01:27 AM']Cheers for the support mate,

I rounded the edges over with a 1/2" round over bit in the router, and I used the belt sander for the comfort contour. The double battery box was necessity as I want to run the preamp at 18v. I'll be finishing the back and sides in black as well. I've dropped the idea of the faux binding as I fancy the whole 'non more black' look.[/quote]

Cool - black cover plate aswell then? Painted wood? Or black perspex?