Why become a member? ×

Worth the wait?

theplumber

Do you ever find trying to get hold of fellow band mates or starting a new project is worth the bother? I recently met an old bandmate at a recent gig I was playing. I have not seen him for 22 years and last played in a band with him in 1980!! We had laugh and agreed to meet up a few weeks later to see our old drummer play with his current band. When I arrived at the pub it turned out that our old singer had been invited and all 4 of us enjoyed a chat and a bit of banter. At one point I was taken aside by the singer and asked if I was interested in having a wee jam in view to maybe doing some gigs! I must admit it was something I had thought about over the years but maybe in a way you wanted to look up an old flame to see what they were like now! I agreed to a get together at a local studio a few weeks later and we agreed on a small selection of songs to run over. As it was it was nice to see the guys again and have a play after all the years that had past. The only thing that was a bit of a let down was that the drummer had not learned any songs.He did play along and it was sort of ok but he was very dismissive of some of the song suggestions even though he had plenty of time to come up with songs that he liked! Anyway it was decided to have another go,maybe at someones house in view of doing a one off gig. As it turned out the drummer was asked why he never bothered learning anything and he said he thought we would have just been talking! Why he thought we would book and pay for a studio is beyond me! Anyway folk had holidays and we could not agree on a date that suited everyone. Now it turns out that the singer who thought it was a good idea in the first place has not been in touch with anybody else and does not use WhatsApp and doesn't see any messages regarding getting together! I have just joined a new band and have a full set of new songs to learn,plus our guitarist is practising songs for his first gig with a new band. Maybe it still will come together and at the end of the day it is nice to be in touch with the guys again but I am not that bothered if we play together now. The moment seems to have passed! Any similar things happened to you guys?

Well, I feel for you, @theplumber.

I've been in a few similar situations myself over the years, where you meet up with an old muso you played with in a band many years ago, and once you get past the 'Do you remember in 1978 when we broke down on the M1 and nearly froze to death' shared memories there's not much left to talk about........... and now he's more interested in droning on about his new patio than talking about music..........  🥺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

Well, I feel for you, @theplumber.

I've been in a few similar situations myself over the years, where you meet up with an old muso you played with in a band many years ago, and once you get past the 'Do you remember in 1978 when we broke down on the M1 and nearly froze to death' shared memories there's not much left to talk about........... and now he's more interested in droning on about his new patio than talking about music..........  🥺

Too true! I did the same thing with an old mate who I was at school with. I had not seen him since I was 21. Met up for a drink in our late 50's and we had a good day out. In fact we did it again a few weeks later but by that time the conversation well was well and truly dried out! In fact I wasn't that sure I like him anymore......lol

• Like 1